Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like a number of people don't like the popping and gurgling from aftermarket exhausts on decel. I have the MIVV GP and love the popping and gurgling, but it doesn't backfire with the traditional loud "bang" which would be annoying. I think it makes the bike standout, gives onlookers something to shake their head, curse or smile at. Am I the only one?

·
Registered
7 Posts
You certainly not alone! I love popping noise and even wife goes round after a trip on pillion going pop pop to herself ha-ha!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Along with bug-eyes and a table-top torque curve, an integral part of what makes a Speedy a Speedy. I can't imagine why anyone would want to "fix" it. Makes banging through downshifts even more fun... WHHEEEEEENNN...burble..burble..burble...pop.........WHHEEEEENNN....burble...burble...burble...pop!!

·
Registered
373 Posts
All of today's cars have the same system. The chambered mufflers in most cars extinguish the flames in the exhaust. But if you see a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Merc AMG, etc with a "free flowing" exhaust, blue flames shoot out the back if you shut the throttle abruptly. The S3 does it with the 3-in-1 exhaust.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Mine sounds like an artillery bombardment, and gives veterans flashbacks, causing them to have post-traumatic stress disorder episodes.

I gotta get it fixed, the neighbors are starting to complain. Well, the ones that aren't deaf.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If it wasn't for the popping I'd feel like I'd wasted my money on the aftermarket exhaust. Hell, I now slow down for now reason at all. ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Love it. Sometimes mine is very loud (no cat, aftermarket exhaust); I love it when it pops when your around cars... It gets their attention so I don't get run over and it makes the bike sound f'ing fast.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I love it as well. a lot!

I gotta mark hill titanium and its a nice pop chug does it like once or twice a day but id kinda wish it did it more :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Everything has to be just right for mine to do it. I can drop off the throttle the same way that just made it pop and next time its not doing it.
:mad:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Do you have to put on aftermarket cans? Mine's still stock and does some mild popping. Not like you'd hear from a racer, but still a pretty good sound.

The sounds are one of my top three favorite things about this bike. I even like the godawful howl the cooling fan makes. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've had CRM (Chain Reaction) exhaust on my bike since day one. Bought it with the bike and the TOR program. I couldn't tell you if it does it more than stock exhaust, but makes sense and I'm sure it is louder with aftermarket pipes.

Mine can be pretty loud sometimes. Most of the time it is mild, sounds good. When it is loud it makes me question if it was a back fire.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Exhaust popping on the overrun is one of my favorite things about ANY vehicle that does it. A family member has a vintage 911 Turbo with aftermarket exhaust that cracks and burbles like crazy on overrun. A friend of mine asked me what was wrong with the car after he was behind me one day.

I didn't justify his ignorance with a reply. To each his own, I guess.

My bike does it with aftermarket Jardine slips occasionally, but I'm about to go to a Zard slip and hope for much more "character" out of that setup.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I also like it a lot.
I'm running an M4 GP pipe and it's all sorts of grumby.
It calmed down a little bit after remapping the ecu. The 22 caliber pop went away, which is probably for the best...

I like the 'Triple whistle' too. I don't know where it comes from, but it sure is cool.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I also like it a lot.
I'm running an M4 GP pipe and it's all sorts of grumby.
It calmed down a little bit after remapping the ecu. The 22 caliber pop went away, which is probably for the best...

I like the 'Triple whistle' too. I don't know where it comes from, but it sure is cool.
I have the same pipe as you (M4 GP) and it has amazing sound. Loud, throaty, and the best decel pop and gurgle that I have heard on a street bike. Every chance I get to engine brake or over run on a gear I do it just so I can hear Moto GP bike sound.

I too also love the whine of these triple motors. It sounds like a bunch of chipmunks running around and screaming louder and louder as the rpms climb. Nothing else compares and I do believe I am hooked for life.

On a side note, I did test ride a Benelli with the triple and it sounded cool but not quite like the Triumph 1050!!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts