Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Very nice! Plus compared to some of the sht-holes I've worked in, that workshop is immaculate :)

I wasn't suggesting you had any lack of experience, I was suggesting that the number of 'opinions' on here by people about this sort of thing makes it impossible to work out not only what is a fact, but also what is a realistic likelihood! I would estimate I worked on several hundred exhaust systems during my time in a dyno workshop. Did I rebuild them? No, I simply worked on them and helped run them on the dyno.

The exhaust on the 1200 cat has two joints on each side, and one of those is mesh/graphite, so even if there was somehow extensive pressure it would not crack the pipe, the gasket will simply slip.
So in my 'experience' I would argue that there is virtually zero risk of this happening. If your 'experience' says otherwise then I would be very happy to hear about the situation so we can all learn something.

I'm sorry if you think I have a big ego. I don't, and I'm more than happy to admit when I make one of my many mistakes in life (ask my wife!). My point regarding the FUD introduced by claiming potential cracking of the pipes is that there are enough people on here with little or no mechanical skills who will now start a huge rumour-process that the bracket on the cross-pipe is life-threateningly critical, while you and I should both have enough experience to know that the frame is far more likely to crack than that is to happen (Actually, if you look back through the threads this has already happened!) :)

Anyway, let's all chill out. I suspect my response came over a little too ridiculing than was intended, and for that I apologise.

Cheers,
Jason

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Back to the subject at hand... (now that you apparently have the pecking order established).
I just ordered the Meercat but was directed to bank transfer funds even though I understood that to be for AUS customers only. Any other international customers experience this? I'm currently awaiting an answer to email inquiry.
Can't wait to experience the difference although I'm waiting on pipes for a bit longer. Lots of interesting choices but I'm leaning towards Zard when the time comes.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
I'd call him if I were you, as you can also explain anything non-standard you want as they custom make each one.

Re the slip-ons, it's all about personal preferences, but the new ones I fitted yesterday have a different twist. They have a Dunstall cluster in the end, which reduces the top end frequencies but accentuates the lower burble, and gives a much nicer look than a mesh, and actually performs a practical function!

But the thing I like best is that instead of the fugly Triumph joint to the collector (which Triumph hide by sticking a 'skirt' over), Meerkat made me some clamps that cover the joint as part of the fitting mechanism. I asked for some new T-clamps, and there I was thinking I'd get some eBay style T-clamps, but no, I get some hand-made stainless matching clamps, with even the numbers ground off the stainless bolt-heads to make them look genuinely classic!

I love both the look and sound of these. Very happy indeed, and absolutely unique (for now)! No way I'd consider something as unexciting and mainstream as a pair of V&H :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Back to the subject at hand... (now that you apparently have the pecking order established).
I just ordered the Meercat but was directed to bank transfer funds even though I understood that to be for AUS customers only. Any other international customers experience this? I'm currently awaiting an answer to email inquiry.
Can't wait to experience the difference although I'm waiting on pipes for a bit longer. Lots of interesting choices but I'm leaning towards Zard when the time comes.
Whoa, talk about serendipity! I just called them to say how much I liked them and say I had some photos, and Peter's asked me to say that he saw your posting on the forum, but his business emails have gone down overnight so he's not able to receive or send emails at the moment.
He says the website was upgraded to calculate postage for overseas customers, and it requires you select your country of residence before it offers PayPal as an option.

He gave me his wife's email address, as she's on Gmail (which is working) so I'll PM it to you and she can send you a payment link.
Alternatively, just call him now. His number is +61 7 5482 7553.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Those clusters look great,Jason,I wonder if Peter can retro-fit mine?Kidding really,I am happy with my Meerkats just the way they are.I am having mine ceramic coated as we speak(headers,x pipe ,the whole box and dice),I will post some photos when they are finished.I was very disappointed with the discoloration of the original headers,so decided to go for the ceramic coating(silver,not black),and hopefully will end up with nice uniformity of finish.The guy from my local Triumph dealership who recommended the coating shop reckons they sound evil,here's hoping.
Dave.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
I gave up on decent looking headers about 20 years ago :) My mate was riding his brand new bike with beautiful shiny headers home, and a butterfly stuck to them and left a big dark mark that he never seemed to be able to remove properly :)
Given that, plus bike covers and gloves melting on them, I decided to simply add some wrap. Now I can touch them and not get burned, I like the look, and they don't need cleaning! Awesome!

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'd call him if I were you, as you can also explain anything non-standard you want as they custom make each one.

Re the slip-ons, it's all about personal preferences, but the new ones I fitted yesterday have a different twist. They have a Dunstall cluster in the end, which reduces the top end frequencies but accentuates the lower burble, and gives a much nicer look than a mesh, and actually performs a practical function!

But the thing I like best is that instead of the fugly Triumph joint to the collector (which Triumph hide by sticking a 'skirt' over), Meerkat made me some clamps that cover the joint as part of the fitting mechanism. I asked for some new T-clamps, and there I was thinking I'd get some eBay style T-clamps, but no, I get some hand-made stainless matching clamps, with even the numbers ground off the stainless bolt-heads to make them look genuinely classic!

I love both the look and sound of these. Very happy indeed, and absolutely unique (for now)! No way I'd consider something as unexciting and mainstream as a pair of V&H :)

Wow.....those mufflers look fantastic.....if those were available when I ordered my de-cat from Peter I may have ordered those as well.....they are similar in style to the cone shorties that I went with......please post a sound video when you get a chance.

Peter really is an artist......just beautiful stuff he makes.....form and function together....not to mention he is also a really nice guy from what I can tell based on our messaging and dealings during my purchase of his cross flow......I would 110 % recommend Peter and Meerkat products to anyone.

Bikes looking great J.S.!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Spoke to Peter @ Meerkat last night for ages..ordered my custom short mufflers and x pipe..
getting same style as jsobell but fatter...hopefully by next week..

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I have been emailing with Peter at Meerkat. Seems like a great guy and I'm a little more convinced that his X pipe needs no bracket support. I think his quality is as good as it gets and I trust that he knows his stuff. I'll probably get the Meerkat Xpipe.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts