Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to remove a large decal from my fairing. It does not have any clear coat on top. I think its the type that is applied by peeling away a protective paper and then sticks on with an adhesive underneath. In other words, it's not floated on with water.

Anyone have experience with this?

I've heard of some people using WD-40 on the decal first and others using hair dryers first, then peeling the softened decal off. Any truth to either of those? Any better ideas?

thanks.

·
Registered
325 Posts
This is right up my alley.. it's what I've done for a living for the past 24 years....

If the decal is the type you describe, the easiest way to remove it is to put your bike in the sun and let the sun heat up the fairing nice and hot. If that is not an option due to the weather, use a hair dryer rather than a heat gun as you are far less likely to burn the paint with a hair dryer. If you don't have a hair dryer, then use a heat gun,but be careful not to burn your paint. You want to heat the decal up to the point you can still touch it comfortably without hurting yourself. Once it's warm, use a sharp craft knife or stanley knife to lift an edge of the decal and slowly peel it off at a right angle to the fairing. This way you will likely take most if not all of the adhesive off at the same time. If any adhesive remains use prepsol, mineral turpentine or a citrus based cleaner to dissolve it. I prefer the turps as it's cheap and doesn't evaporate as fast as prepsol, giving you more time to work. Also the citrus based cleaners tend to smear the adhesive all over and can be a pain tho they smell the best. Once thats done wipe over with metho and a clean cloth and apply a new coat of wax.

Viola!:D

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
I removed the over-the-clear-coat stickers from my Speed Triple and Speed Four with WD40. Then cleaned the bikes with soap and water and waxed the areas. No problems. Of course, it did destroy the stickers.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Thats what I figured Dave, she's going into the paint booth/garage this week. I ordered new decals today, black with a gold outline for all of them. I have to sand all the parts anyways I guess its not big deal.

Done hijacking this thread.:rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts