Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Australians are greatful for the US entering the Pacific war in '41. Without them the war would have potentially been catastrophic for Australia.

Most of the Australian combat resources had been sent to Europe and had been fighting there for 2 years prior to Japan starting major operations in the Pacific leaving Australia starkly exposed. Without the US we would have been in huge trouble.

Be careful how you word things though. It wasn't *just* the US that saved Australia from Japan.

Australian troops either brought back from Europe or raw recruits taken pretty much off the street and dumped into the hell of Kokoda defended Australia. We suffered huge casualties defending our nation, we weren't just sitting around asking to be saved. Without the US it would have been grim but it wasn't just the US fighting Japan.

I have no problem with US marines being stationed here. I don't really see it as being for our defence though, rather we are allies and by being stationed here the US is able to both more quickly deploy into the Pacific and Asia and work better with Australian units etc.

We were then and are still allies.
As a Marine, all I can say is: "Well said!" I have served with several allied troups when I was on active duty. We all like to poke fun at each other, but when the shyt hits the fan we all have each other's backs. I am very proud to call all of our allies brothers in arms.

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
It's probably little known but the Japanese attacked the British in Malaya a few hours before they attacked Pearl Harbour. It was supposed to be a simultaneous attack, close enough. The British along with their Commonwealth allies (Australia, Canada, South African, India, New Zealand) were fighting the Axis powers alone at that time since 1939 and Japan obviously fancied their chances to take on both America and the Commonwealth.

Fortunately for the free world it brought the US into WWII and as they say the rest is history.

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
Sorry Jonk, I didn't mean that to be interpreted as "only" because of the U.S., although Australia probably couldn't have defended itself alone. We certainly have never had better allies than the Aussies, Kiwis and Brits. My uncle had nothing but praise for the Australians he met during his tour in the South Pacific.

BTW, the History Channel had an excellent program last night on the 24 hours following the Pearl Harbor attack. I highly recommend watching it if they air it again.

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
If it's any consolation Echo, Britain didn't have much of a choice.

It was either Fight or put up with Germans stealing all our sunbeds and we only get a couple of days sun a year!

·
Premium Member
7,029 Posts
Sorry Jonk, I didn't mean that to be interpreted as "only" because of the U.S., although Australia probably couldn't have defended itself alone.
no worries Mr C.

You are right. Without the US Australia was screwed.

After Singapore fell, the US, Australia and NZ were really the only military presence in the Pacific/SE Asia against the Japanese.

Without the US we were toast.

Along with the Kiwis we are small countries (population wise), spread over a massive area, surrounded by sea making our coastlines near impossible to control, a long way from anywhere and many of our own forces were in the European theatre at the time. (My old man spent most of his war on the other side of the world in Britain flying for the RAF. He wasn't released to come back here until after VE day.)

If it was just us and the Kiwis on our own against the might of the Japanese... it would have ended up a slaughter.

So yep. We were sunk without the US.

·
Banned
4,433 Posts
But don't ever forget, we needed you all too. We would have been hard put to do it alone, whether it be men, material, or places to put stuff.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
When I started this thread I was really worried that it might slip into country hating trash talk. But it has turned out to be a areal sharing of respect for the past and those who got all of us on this forum to this point in time,

Thanks to every one who shared. Hap

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
When I started this thread I was really worried that it might slip into country hating trash talk. But it has turned out to be a areal sharing of respect for the past and those who got all of us on this forum to this point in time,

Thanks to every one who shared. Hap
Wasn't any real need for "country hating". On the 7th my wife was watching the movie "Pearl Harbor" (with Ben Affleck) and I walked in on the scene where the bombers from the Dolittle raid were flying across the Japanese countryside where a woman in a Kimono just sort of looked up and I wondered if that exact scene played out in real life, what fault would she have had in what happened to the US or later Japan itself.

This site seems to have largely older/more mature ('cept me) that can view this event with the somber tone that it requires. Glad we disappointed you!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts