Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had a search on Triumphrat for issues for the Denali mini sound bomb but haven't seen anything other than install guides for the bigger versions which rely on relays and come with compressors which are being put onto the Bonnie's.

I've got a 2005' speed triple 1050 and recently bought this horn from a vendor as a plug & play quick mod without the hassle of installing a relay and to get a better low tone and to get away from the high pitched distressed sounding stock horn.

I've gone to install it today, visually plotted where it was going to sit, removed the old horn's bracket with the horn attached, carefully bent the connectors on the Denali to an upwards position and connected them to the stock connectors. I've then turned on the ignition and pressed the horn button to find the headlights dipping and the faintest sound of a click noise from the horn as if it was under powered - so I've started up the engine thinking this would resolve and unfortunately I was faced with the same issue.. so I packed anything up and put the horn back in the shed to investigate further.. the one thing I didn't do however was actually mount the horn and had it held in my hand and I'm wondering if that would of changed anything? Or if anybody knows the issue behind it?

·
Super Moderator
21,826 Posts
Spec says it only draws 5A which should be OK with stock wiring;
it presumably is not drawing more than that or the fuse would be popping.
Certainly odd that lights are dimming
Try connecting couple of wires with spade terminals and touching directly to battery and see what happens ......
At least that will validate whether your horn or the OEM wiring/switch is the problem

p.s. can you add your bike info to your profile please, so it shows up under your screen name in left margin; good to add your location too.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I agree with DEcosse. I have one on my bike and I still put on a relay. It's not really that difficult once you understand how they work. I plugged the existing horn spade connectors directly into a relay for the trigger. Saves a bit of wiring.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts