Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a used DealerTool so I emailed DealerTool to see if the version I'm looking at would work for my bike.
They told me it would but that I would need to buy an "unlock key" from them for about $32.
Has anyone bought a used DealerTool and can confirm that the unlock key is required?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I'm looking to buy a used DealerTool so I emailed DealerTool to see if the version I'm looking at would work for my bike.
They told me it would but that I would need to buy an "unlock key" from them for about $32.
Has anyone bought a used DealerTool and can confirm that the unlock key is required?
You need a new key every time it connects to a different ECU so if the previous owner has connected to his bike using the dealer tool you will need to purchase a new key.
I think the only exception is the more expensive version that can connect to unlimited bikes.
That's one of the reasons why in most cases you're better off with tune ECU.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Yes you need a new key for each bike.
Use that knowledge when negotiating a price on a used one. Remember when buying new the key for one bike is included in the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Also realize tune ecu can be used for many triumphs and that software is cheap if you have an Android device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,264 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I'll check out TuneECU. I've used a version of it on a couple of Ducati's I owned.
Quick Ducati joke:
What do you call a guy that owns a Ducati?
A Ducatisti.
What do you call a guy that owns 2 Ducati's?
A mechanic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts