Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Broke a speedo cable, still in warranty, so I called the dealer (an hour away.)
First, they want me to make a trip up there for them to inspect the broken cable, before they'll order it. That it might be in stock is a fool's dream. I got special dispensation from the sales manager, and they ordered it without inspection. Took three weeks to arrive.
Called service (now THERE'S the semantic rape of a defenseless adjective) department, suggested we exchange cables, I'll install it, takes five minutes.
No way, Jose. They gotta do it. OK, sez I, let's make an appointment, afternoons are good for me.
Nope, they gotta have it at 8:00 AM (I can't just pull a tech off another job, ya'know). So I gotta get up at 6:00 to give myself some time to get my metabolism started (Caffeine, Nicotine, and CPR) for HIS convenience.
I called the Sales Mgr, told him the entire clusterfark was getting to be more hassle than the 35 bucks for a cable. I invited him to tell the SM to place the cable suppositorially. I'll buy it from somebody else, and have it shipped. He puts me on hold a couple minutes, comes back, sez "Bring the old cable, we'll swap it, you can put it in."
Why the hell couldn't that have been the FIRST answer?
Sheeeesssshhhhh!
Redhawk

·
Registered
918 Posts
The hardware is the same no matter where you go - it's the service that's going to earn and keep business, or make someone look somewhere else.

I'm stuck using a new dealership because my original one (15 minutes away) shut down. My alternative were two different places each an hour from my home in either direction. So far it looks like I picked a good one. I guess I got lucky.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't say it's really a bad dealer, but Service and Parts managers as a species are frequently unaware that they're in the customer service business. This guy was perfectly comfortable telling me that the whole transaction was to be done at his convenience, not mine. Is there anything smugger than a Parts Manager saying; "It's on back-order?"
What particularly frosted my GrapeNuts was "I can't just pull a tech off a job..." Oh yeah? just you watch at break time, lunch, or the arrival of the "Roach Coach." Those tools go down faster than an IRA, and the prospect of 15 minutes off the job doesn't bother them a bit.
Ah, well. It was different in my day. We had to walk all the way across the room to change the channel!
Redhawk

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BTW, after riding to Freehold to get the speedo cable, I'm returning down the Parkway at a comfortable 75-80 in the left lane, moderate traffic, I see a gray sports car overtaking in the center lane. It's a new Porsche 911 Turbo. He pulls beside me, and goes completely Ape DooDoo, waving, pointing at the bike, thumbs up, and so on. Well, Noblesse Oblige, y'know, this happens fairly frequently, so I wave back and give him my best Mike Hailwood grin, just for a second, as I'm concentrating on traffic. He stays beside me, which I dislike, and I glance over again. He's got his farkin' cellphone out, and is TAKING PICTURES! Now, this is flattering, but STOOPID! I did some creative lane weaving for the next couple minutes, and left him boxed in traffic, his 480 metric HP availing him not a whit.
Jaysus!
Redhawk

·
Registered
10,845 Posts
Yeah, it's a major undertaking to replace that speedo cable. Takes me ten minutes and I'm slow, which means they should be able to do it in five.
And why would you expect them to have a cable in stock? :knockknock:

After all, who could possibly need a cable? :brick:

Triumph needs to order its dealers to stock certain expendable parts or lose the franchise.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Service as a the semantic rape of a defenceless adjective - now that has to be up for the annual brevity is the soul of vitriol award.

Fortunately a bit better over here - on wed went by the dealer ref a seat height reduction issue and mentioned flapping bar end mirror 'does he have the foil insert' as a quick spare? Just pop round the back and the boys will sort you out - which they duly did in their lunch hour - no fuss and done with pleasure.

During my various discussions with them it has become apparent Triumph routinely sack dealers - and so they should - all these places should operate to a tight brand template. There needs to be some flex to reflect all sorts of factors, but your story is just incompetence at its worst.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I started out happy with the dealer where I bought my bike. It is close to home (less than 10 miles), and the assistant manager is a Triumph nut. There is another Triumph dealer about 25 miles away that I have always liked better, but when it was time to buy my bike, they did not have the color that I wanted and the closer dealer did.

I am not, however, very happy with the parts department and service department where I bought my bike. I bought my bike in early March when it was still cool in Texas. My Bonnie was very cold natured, and it always ran very rough until it warmed up.

I mention this when I took it in for my 500 mile service. This dealer completed my 500 mile service in about 45 minutes, and they charged me about $300. They said that they did not find anything wrong. I asked why it was so expensive, and they said that it is charged as a two hour job plus materials. I understand that this is how the automotive and motorcycle service industries charge, but I was concerned that they could complete a two hour job so quickly and actually do a thorough job.

About a week later, as I was cleaning the bike, I discovered that one of the wires going to the right side carb was not attached. I think that is used to warm up the carb faster, according to the Haynes manual. So I plugged it in, and my cold starting problem and rough running problem have been much better ever since. I really wonder what else they might have missed on my service.

A few months later, I notice that I have oil leaking from the cam covers. Since I would need to have the gasket replaced, I thought that I would buy the chrome cam covers and save on the labor. I called this dealer, and they said that they would have to order the cam covers and the gaskets, so it might be a week before they could get to it. Then I called the other Triumph dealer (the one 25 miles away), and they said that they had both in stock. They told me to bring it by at any time and that they could do it while I waited, which I did that weekend.

The other day, I decided to buy an all weather cover. I called the dealer where I bought my Triumph, and they said that it was a special order item. I called the other dealer where I got my cam covers, and they told me that they always try to keep these in stock but that they had just sold their last one. He said they have a couple more scheduled to arrive in a couple of days. Guess who got my business? They will get all of my business from now on. The other dealer can continue to cater to their Ducati and BMW customers.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I got my bike locally as well, there are 2 other dealers with about an hour's drive (22miles and 48 miles).

I recently had some monkey bend a spoke on my front wheel and mount the rear tire backwards, I took it to the local dealer to have it fixed at the previous guy's expense- which the service manager said he would do under warranty regardless.
When I dropped off the wheel I decided that I might as well have the wheels powder coated too, at my expense. The service manager said he would call around and get some prices on powder coating.
3 months later I got my wheels back. But not powder coated.
The first month was spent waiting for spokes, the remaining two were spent waiting for god knows what.

I know exactly what happened. Triumph refused to pay to have the entire wheel taken apart and relaced, so it wasn't taken apart- only the bent spoke was fixed; which is also why they didn't get powder coated, because the Service Manager would have to quote me an unrealistic price and risk losing the job entirely. It was easier for him to tell me that he couldn't find a powder coater and then push the blame onto Triumph's red tape, than it was to call me, tell me what happened, and quote me a price. He figured I was going to say no.

After working in the field and at a dealership, it is my belief, that Triumph has a hard time getting parts to this side of the world, which spawns ALL KINDS of trouble. It is also my belief, that the automotive/motorcycle service industry, as a whole, is fraught with dishonest, lazy, incorrigible, and spineless people.

I could REALLY go on about how awful the business is, but that's something for another time and another forum.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"Service as a the semantic rape of a defenceless adjective - now that has to be up for the annual brevity is the soul of vitriol award."

I believe Churchill was an early winner, with "A humble man, with much to be humble about."
Redhawk

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
After working in the field and at a dealership, it is my belief, that Triumph has a hard time getting parts to this side of the world, which spawns ALL KINDS of trouble. It is also my belief, that the automotive/motorcycle service industry, as a whole, is fraught with dishonest, lazy, incorrigible, and spineless people.

I could REALLY go on about how awful the business is, but that's something for another time and another forum.

What did you do at the dealership that has you feeling this way?...

Ive been in the automotive service industry for nine to 10 years...I worked for the same company in different states and the only thing I might agree with you on is the "lazy" part of it...:D

It doesnt pay to piss people off...but sometimes the truth sucks...

I guess Ill also agree with you about parts...being a problem...

...but...you cant make money being a dick...and you cant make everyone happy...

On Triumph service...
I personally havent had any issues with my dealer...I bought the bike from them...I bought and had them install stock assessories and engine covers...got most of my Triumph gear from them...bring my bike to them for regular service and warranty issues...

...They smile when I walk through the door...sometimes when I just want go for a ride...I go the 45min just to ask them a question or check out if theres anything new or how my tech and his bike are doing...

...I rode in unannounced this spring...just to say hello and decided to have the bike checked over after its winter storage to have the oil changed...I had to wait about an hour or more...but it was done...I spent the time looking around and talking to the sales manager...

They also have pretty good coffee and cookies...:D

...Go Triumph!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
"Service as a the semantic rape of a defenceless adjective - now that has to be up for the annual brevity is the soul of vitriol award."

I believe Churchill was an early winner, with "A humble man, with much to be humble about."
Redhawk

One of his best was 'Mr. Churchill, you're drunk!' Yes, I am; and you are ugly. But tomorrow, I shall be sober.”

1 - 11 of 11 Posts