Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple weeks ago I visited my local North Texas Triumph dealer to pickup a rear wheel spacer for my Thruxton (I lost my mine on the way to the tire shop), and after much discussion with the parts guy, including a picture of mywheel, he insisted he had the correct part number for the rear wheel spacer, I was doubtful based upon my research, but what do I know, I sit in cube staring at a CRT all day, he's the part guy so I give my Visa and he ordered the part.

Week later part shows up and when I get to the dealership and he hands me the spacer and its clearly the wrong part. Parts guy just shrugs, this time I ask him to humor me and order what I think is the correct part. Another $8 and the part is on order.

Week later part comes in and since I'm busy that day, my wife picks up the part and I ask her to send a photo of it before she leaves the dealership, she does and its the correct part. Thanks goodness.

Now this past week, I stop by the dealer to return the first part the parts guy ordered (turns out it was a cush drive spacer). I handed over the part and receipt and the other part person states they are no returns because Triumph won;t take them back. I said that's unbelievable, but once again what do I know, I sit in a cube all day.

What I do know, next time I'm in the market for a new bike, I know where I won't be buying it from.

Is this really true that Triumph in the US, won't allow dealers to return parts? this sounds like BS to me, but its their dealership and they can do what ever the heck they want.

Thanks

·
Registered
952 Posts
The dealer should have eaten it. It was the parts guy's error. You proved that when the part you wanted in the first place was the correct one.

I don't see it being a supplier issue at all.

I wouldn't be too upset over $8. Cheap lesson. I would definitely let the manager or owner know what he lost for your $8.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Couple weeks ago I visited my local North Texas Triumph dealer to pickup a rear wheel spacer for my Thruxton (I lost my mine on the way to the tire shop), and after much discussion with the parts guy, including a picture of mywheel, he insisted he had the correct part number for the rear wheel spacer, I was doubtful based upon my research, but what do I know, I sit in cube staring at a CRT all day, he's the part guy so I give my Visa and he ordered the part.

Week later part shows up and when I get to the dealership and he hands me the spacer and its clearly the wrong part. Parts guy just shrugs, this time I ask him to humor me and order what I think is the correct part. Another $8 and the part is on order.

Week later part comes in and since I'm busy that day, my wife picks up the part and I ask her to send a photo of it before she leaves the dealership, she does and its the correct part. Thanks goodness.

Now this past week, I stop by the dealer to return the first part the parts guy ordered (turns out it was a cush drive spacer). I handed over the part and receipt and the other part person states they are no returns because Triumph won;t take them back. I said that's unbelievable, but once again what do I know, I sit in a cube all day.

What I do know, next time I'm in the market for a new bike, I know where I won't be buying it from.

Is this really true that Triumph in the US, won't allow dealers to return parts? this sounds like BS to me, but its their dealership and they can do what ever the heck they want.

Thanks
Your mistake was not demanding to speak to the owner/manager when you were offered the WRONG part. Then you compounded your mistake by paying another $8 in advance for the right part. It's one thing for someone to think they're smarter than you but another for them to think you're dumber then they are. You need to let the owner know about this.

If you have to rely on this dealer for warranty service and parts just eat the $8 and consider the cost tuition, BUT be VERY careful dealing with them in the future.

If there's another dealer you can go to then make a trip to dealer #1 and tell the owner his parts idiot cost the dealership a customer.

There are numerous places online where you can view the same parts breakdown the dealers see and get the correct part number. Then you can decide whether to order online or buy locally.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts