Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just went to book my BB for a 12,000 3 year service.
So far the prices I am getting quoted are between £450 and $650!!!.
Thats completely mad, my gs1200 is only £300 and thats another air cooled twin with no plastic.

God knows what a 675 daytona must be

Barry

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I guess the 12k includes a valve check/re-shim but what else. I feel like I'm getting fittet up at £126 for the first service (glorified oil change), one sure way to guarantee that they won't be getting my business once it's out of warrantee!

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Am I mistaken, but I thought the law had been changed in the UK allowing a car/bike to be serviced by any certified/qualified mechanic and not simply the 'official' franchised stealer in order to maintain the warranty?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Am I mistaken, but I thought the law had been changed in the UK allowing a car/bike to be serviced by any certified/qualified mechanic and not simply the 'official' franchised stealer in order to maintain the warranty?
Yes I think so, so I am looking for a local independant. Its a shame that you have to do this.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I paid about 300£ for that to. It includes valve adjustment, but they don't need adjusting. 450 is a bit much though imo but don't know how long it would take if the valves needed adjusting?!?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
You are correct for cars, I'm not sure about bikes but the problem is, as someone has mentioned in a similar post (seems to be a few around just now), if you have an issue and your service is all main dealer any claim will be straight-forward, if you don't have Triumph history they could use this to be awkward and time consuming at which point, if it's reletively minor, many owners would just sort it themselves. Considering what it costs I'll be getting the first 2 done by Triumph but won't be under any illusion that they are taking advantage. Boy am I glad I have some 'spanner' ability!

·
Registered
390 Posts
It's no more for Triumph than for any other cycle I've owned. If one wants to complain go buy a BMW. Their shop rates are usually the highest in town! I also believe in supporting my local dealer. Where would most of us be without them? They've got to make money if they're going to keep their doors open.

Karl

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's no more for Triumph than for any other cycle I've owned. If one wants to complain go buy a BMW. Their shop rates are usually the highest in town! I also believe in supporting my local dealer. Where would most of us be without them? They've got to make money if they're going to keep their doors open.

Karl
I have a MkIII gs 1200 and a 12,000 for it is quoted @ £300?

Barry

·
Registered
2,346 Posts

Karl
I agree with you Karl, this is generic rathet than a Triumph issue, I'd also like to support my local dealer but that needs to be a two way street, I calculate (probably not too accurately - maybe 'guesstimate' would be a better word) that I'll be paying over £60 (I think about $100 at the moment) an hour for this service and for more time than I should be, it really stings that the time spent on this 'service' is mainly to check that the guys at the factory did their job right!
This is a bike FFS and a simple one at that, what is there to do on it to take so long?
Also dealership mechanics (bike or car) don't have the greatest reputation in the world for quality, I hope to find my dealer is the exception. If they did their job right at a realistic price I'd give them more work, I've really got my time cut out looking after 3 bikes!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree with you Karl, this is generic rathet than a Triumph issue, I'd also like to support my local dealer but that needs to be a two way street, I calculate (probably not too accurately - maybe 'guesstimate' would be a better word) that I'll be paying over £60 (I think about $100 at the moment) an hour for this service and for more time than I should be, it really stings that the time spent on this 'service' is mainly to check that the guys at the factory did their job right!
This is a bike FFS and a simple one at that, what is there to do on it to take so long?
Also dealership mechanics (bike or car) don't have the greatest reputation in the world for quality, I hope to find my dealer is the exception. If they did their job right at a realistic price I'd give them more work, I've really got my time cut out looking after 3 bikes!
I agree I understand that they need a margin to make a livin but this feels pretty large.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Just for the record, the two year 10,000 mile belt service on the Ducati I owned previously cost the best part of £700. That's part of the reason I got rid of it. The dealer was a poxy little corner shop that unsurprisingly went out of business. At the (BMW) car dealership I've used, at least I can sit drinking nice coffee watching their plasma TV and using their WiFi whilst being robbed. Now it's out of warranty I do all my own work on my T100.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The 12k service I got on my '07 last November was around $350. I believe they cut a corner or two (e.g. reused the valve cover gasket), the one valve they found out of spec is now noisier, and they said they couldn't get it to misfire/stall like I do at idle on every ride, but the price was nowhere near the $650-1050 you've been quoted. A degree of "you get what you pay for" may apply here (I would've happily paid for a new valve cover gasket even if it took my service over $400), but yeesh! You must live in a fancy market.

·
Registered
162 Posts
i was just quoted $650 as a BASE price for 12,000 mile service. screw that noise. *pulls out tool box*

·
Registered
64 Posts
You are correct, its called the european block exemtion, it means that you can have car and bike servicedcby any vat reg mechanic, as long as they use like for like parts, the warranty is fine.

I always have my cars serviced away from dealer, dealer wanted £400 for first service on audi a5. I got it done lsewhere for 130!

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Spare a thought for us Aussie's.
I've got a 40,000km/25,000 mile service coming up on my 07 T100, local dealer quoted $900.:eek:

·
Registered
390 Posts
I think I'm spoiled. My Dealer is very highly thought of by all Triumph (and Moto Guzzi-sells them, too) owners. His shop time is $90 an hour in half hour increments. BMW here charges $125 per hour! Because my cam cover started leaking and it was close to the 12,000 mile service he went ahead and adjusted the valves (and mine did need some new shims). Charged the labor and gasket to jolly old Triumph. When my 12,000 is actually done in the very near future, there's really not much left to be done.

I'd say he's very highly thought of because he definitely looks out for his customers welfare. He could have made more money by doing my valves at "exactly" 12,000 miles. Warrantee work never pays as well.

My BMW, however, gets serviced by an independent who charges $85 per hour, not the rediculous $125 BMW charges!

Karl

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
I think the most galling thing a dealer can do is charge the book rate regardless of the time it takes. I know very well that if the book says "2 hours" is the rate for some job a good mechanic can often do it in half the time. Is it too much to be asked to just be billed for the time spent?

If its any help, my brother is actually a quite (annoyingly to me) talented mechanic and owns a shop in Cincinnati. I'd be happy to send any fellow RAT down to him. It's where I have all my work done if I need something I can't do myself these days.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Unfortunately for us, most technicians are on a bonus scheme whereby if they complete work quicker than the scheduled time they get more money and the garage gets more jobs completed within the working day.

Needless to say the customer still gets charged the full rate for the job. This may be why work is sometimes not to the standard that you and I - taking our time and renewing all gaskets/seals etc - would achieve.

I'm been servicing my own Land Rovers and bikes for the last 10 years, wouldn't let a dealership anywhere near them.

Cheers
Dave

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.