Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Needed a cam cover seal and a couple of other small parts for my 06 Bonnie so I drove the 30mi. to my closest dealer for my annual visit.
It took at least 10 minutes to get the parts clerk to understand what a T100 is, although I'm not sure I actually succeeded. No seal, no screw seals for the cam cover, not even the simple bolts for the gas tank mount (mine are missing-go figure). I was told each was a "special order"part! Tell ya what, all of my parts needs are now "special order" on the net and my instructions for using said parts are contained on this site. No more dealer-torture again, ever!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Given the failure freq. of that particular seal, it makes no sense at all and this is a big-time east coast Triumph dealer!
The markup has to be astronomical while taking up almost no shelf space.., like I said, never again.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
To me dealer torture is for guys that don't know a rachet from a screwdriver. I do everything in my power to avoid all dealers. There isn't enough bandwidth to explain why.
Best,
George

·
Registered
10,853 Posts
Needed a cam cover seal and a couple of other small parts for my 06 Bonnie so I drove the 30mi. to my closest dealer for my annual visit.
It took at least 10 minutes to get the parts clerk to understand what a T100 is, although I'm not sure I actually succeeded. No seal, no screw seals for the cam cover, not even the simple bolts for the gas tank mount (mine are missing-go figure). I was told each was a "special order"part! Tell ya what, all of my parts needs are now "special order" on the net and my instructions for using said parts are contained on this site. No more dealer-torture again, ever!
Get used to it. That's why I have not much loyalty to any of them, at least in Central Maryland.

·
Registered
592 Posts
my dealer is great as far as what they are willing to do. I go to Winchester Motorsports up in Clearbrook, VA... that's Carl's shop. He has always bent over backwards for his customers and comes out to all the triumph events in our area in force. His mechanics are not the best mechanics in the world, but I've never had any fears riding away on their word that my bike was safe and that they have done exactly what they said they did.

He's taken parts off a show-room bike to help me out in a bind and get the replacements for that bike instead of making me wait, which is more than I could have asked for.

So, while most dealers are a waste of time, there are those who do it because they are about the riders and the people.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I appreciate the frustration regarding dealers who don't keep an adequate supply of parts in stock. The other side of that coin is consumers who patronize online suppliers who don't have to pay for all of the expenses of a dealership. Obviously we need healthy dealerships in order to buy bikes and get the service we can't do or don't want to do ourselves. Dealerships need to make a profit to stay in business and in this day of such hard core price competition that is no easy feat. For what it's worth I happily pay a bit more to support local dealers for some things and shop for online discounts on others. If we all supported our local dealers more it would be more cost effective for them to keep the routine parts we need in stock.

·
Registered
10,853 Posts
Well, yes and no. I don't get a price break buying parts on-line, and for inexpensive parts the shipping costs more than the sales tax break (6% in Maryland).

If the dealer doesn't have the part anyway, I'm not going to bother to go there, I'll just have it delivered directly to my house; at least that saves me some time.

I don't mind special-ordering parts that are expensive and/or don't turn over very much. But if I have to special-order gaskets and seals and clutch cables and similar inexpensive expendables, then I don't think that they're doing their job, and I see no reason to patronize them.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
For a dealer there is money to be made in dealing in parts. I fail to see why a dealer doesn't treat that part of his business like a "real business". However, I do realize there are many parts that would not be kept in stock. My dealer has a very good parts business (new OEM, used take-off parts, and aftermarket). I find that I would rather call the dealer's parts department and have them order aftermarket parts for me rather than order them myself online. My dealer is 65 miles away, and I seem to always find something I "need" while I am there.:D The aftermarket parts cost me less from my dealer than from the online vendors, and they order from about all of them. One employ is kept pretty busy with the used parts business--a lot of which are advertised on eBay. I messed up the head on the screw on the bottom of the forks--the one that screws into the damper rod. I phoned and when I got there that employee handed me a used one--no charge, either.:) That one incident made a very loyal parts customer of me, and as I said, I fail to see why dealers don't approach their parts business as a "real business".

·
Registered
42 Posts
The cam cover seal is r-23.60, c-15.34 and the cover screw seal is r-4.53, c-2.94, which represents 35% profit, which is why most dealers will give you 10% off if you ask (or if you bought the bike from them). Anyone who thinks 25% markup on parts is excessive has obviously never run a small business. We always have these parts in stock (bags and bags of them because we use many every day) and they are not "special order". Special order is a $500 item which will never sell if the customer does not pick it up and if the dealer sends it back to Triumph, he will have to pay a 15% restocking fee. That's why the customer pays upfront for "special orders". You all are correct though, if the dealer does not stock these type of parts, they are not much of a dealer and don't care about providing service in a timely manner. If you find a dealer who does stock these parts and whose mechanics are actually competent, you should use them whenver possible. If you don't, you will only have the crappy dealers left.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I bought my bike from Lynnwood Cycle Barn, but, I wish I had bought it from Bellingham Champion Cycle, and here's why:
Last year my dad dumped my 08 Bonnie. He payed for the replacement parts which included a clutch lever. My first one was an adjustable and Cycle Barn had to order a new one. When it finally came in two weeks later, it was a non-adjustable... but, I took it anyway. My original wasn't that banged up in the first place, so, I didn't change it at that time. Well, last week I was preoccupied and forgot to put my kick stand down when I dismounted. I finally snapped the clutch lever. I said, "dang... Oh well, I have another in the closet." Come to find out, not only was it non-adjustable... It was the wrong part entirely! I decided not to even bother with the bozos at CB and called up Howard at CC. An impromptu drive to Bellingham and I was rolling on two wheels again. Needless to say, I'm all for supporting the local dealers who are worth it.

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
Just to make a point...most of the online dealers are also bike dealers....local to somebody....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Timbo-

FWIW, Pete's is having their Open House next week end. Check their website. If you have to special order, might as well get 20% off.

Elton, if he's still at the Baltimore store, is the best parts guy I've dealt with.

Jim

·
Registered
292 Posts
Redbird and Hobbes80, I've had the same types of experiences with my dealer, Triumph Detroit. Great guys and gals over there. A good dealer is one that does what it takes in a pinch. That will always get my respect and loyalty.

·
Registered
267 Posts
That's the bummer about off brands. Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki and other large companies parts are ready available. Try getting parts for a Moto Guzzi , we have it made. When Triumph gets to big and to popular like say Harley I'll change brands. I like the fact that I rarely see another scramblers around. I know kinda strange thinking but that's who I am. Strange old bastard .

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
I BLAME TRIUMPH .They should make there dealers stock normal use parts.The good dealers do ,but triumph has to many mom and pop dealers that shouldnt be selling bikes.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I completely and utterly disagree with that statement. Triumph should limit the restrictions of their dealers to quality of work and delivery of their product only. Sure, that may include maintaining some parts on hand, but you can't expect a dealer to have the specific piece for a specific bike from 4 years ago.

It is just an unrealistic expectation. That being said, a dealer working with his fellow dealers, and existing parts, to find you either what you need, or what will get you back on the road, makes them that much better in my book. 9/10, the mom and pop shops are better at doing this for me then the big shops.

I drive 60 miles out of my way to my dealership instead of the one that is 20 miles from me, because I know I will get an honest answer, even if that answer is "I can't help you"... that is worth more to me then having it fixed right now.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
90% OF THE PARTS ON OUR BIKES MOTORS HAVE BEEN THE SAME SINCE 01.simple gaskets seals and so on dont take that much to stock.The mom and pop dealers servce sucks to.

·
Registered
10,853 Posts
I agree with Mike.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts