Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
Accessories don't make the bike. You have to look a the year specifically and the number of miles. Two owners would make me a little suspisious regards maintenance. Looking at a $5200 for a 4 years old bike, is way to steep. When you can have a new one for around $9000, I don't think you're getting your moneys worth. He won't sell it at that price no matter how hard he tries. Reread the description again closely. Rust on bolts, no valve adjustment and rust on side covers.:confused: I think he meant to say engine covers, why? Engine covers are aluminum and don't rust. No original parts, I think I'd pass.

Cheers

Jeff:motorbike2:

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
What a coincidence - I was just looking at that. That bike was for sale months ago, so I was surprised to see it back. It obviously did not sell the last time and I am curious as to why. Looks like it is in good shape and the miles are not high. Hmmm...go look at it and haggle away!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I can't imagine paying $9k for a new Thruxton when there are so many clean used bikes out there. "Corrosion" is not the same as "rust". Aluminum does corrode (ie the "furring" you see when it is oxidized).

The devil is in the details.

If it were me, would check it out in person, consider having a mechanic take a look at it, and would pay no more than $4500--assuming "corrosion" was very minor and no other issues.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Accessories don't make the bike. You have to look a the year specifically and the number of miles. Reread the description again closely. Rust on bolts, no valve adjustment and rust on side covers.:confused: I think he meant to say engine covers, why? Engine covers are aluminum and don't rust. No original parts, I think I'd pass.

Cheers

Jeff:motorbike2:
Accessories are a valid selling point; they cost money to add to a new bike ( although I question the value of the wider rear wheel).True, the SELLER never gets his investment back on accessories; the BUYER on the other hand pays a fraction of the new cost. See if the seller has the original parts that were removed during installation; if not, bargain the price down. The mileage is low for the age of the bike; it probably sits in the garage instead of being ridden. As far as some corrosion here and there; this seems to be a common complaint on Triumphs in general. For example, my bike has some a few spots of corrosion (a white discoloration) on the aluminum engine cases/side covers. This is probably due to the cheesy clear coat wearing off; an appearance issue at worst. The valve lash adjustment isn't due until 12,000 miles; at least you know that someone hasn't messed with it yet. If it hasn't had the oil and filter changed, use this to bargain the price down even more. It sounds as if the seller is desperate for money; show up with cash in hand. Of course, check it out from A**hole to appetite before you buy it. I would make an initial offer of $4000.00 and bargain from there. Good Luck!----James.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i am such a n00b when it comes to thruxtons and motorcycles.. (taking msf end of march already signed up)...

the reasons im looking used is that:
-first bike
-economically more sound

reasons im looking new:
-i honestly would have no idea what to look for when getting a used bike besides mileage and basic eyeball things
-i dont know anyone into the moto scene
-no surprises

this forum is great... couple questions,
-where is this plethora of used thrux's... ive been trolling for weeks and see a couple here and there
-a dealer offered me an 08 for 8,000 with 0 miles... seemed like a good deal, thoughts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, if you have your heart set on a thruxton, you may be right--I saw about 10 used on cycletrader in all of US.

Rather than spend $8k on a new Thruxton with no mods, I'd probably spend $5k on a used Bonnie with a few choice mods and fit a lower handlebar.

But hey, that's just me.

·
Registered
964 Posts
First, find a competent motorcycle mechanic to do a pre-purchase inspection before you buy if you don't trust your own judgment/experience. Keep in mind, at 8000 miles the bike is barely broken in. Also, the Bonneville/Thruxton series bikes are tough, unless you run the engine without oil or ram it into solid objects; they will take a little bit of neglect. What you're looking for is hidden damage that the seller wants to hide. But for what it's worth, it sounds as if it was owned by people with more money than sense or time to ride.

According to Google Maps, you're only 150-175 miles from the seller (distances are shorter in Yankeeland:D), go take a look, if you like what you see, find/bring the mechanic to inspect it. Beat him down on the price! If I knew then what I know now, I would have bought used instead of new and saved a ton of money. Hinckley Triumphs in general DO NOT have a high resale value.----James.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I was recently on the prowl for a thruxton and actually talked to this guy on the phone. He seemed to be legit and took care of the bike, but only rode it during "riding season".

Check Cycletrader again and you may still see two used Thurxtons from couple of Texas dealers with very low miles and some good mods on them. I talked to both dealers and I bet you can get both dealers to come down below 5K. Of course you'd have to buy without looking at it... uship.com is a great place for cheap shipping services.

I ended up buying an 08 with 500 miles on it for $7K with about $4K in goodies already added like Arrow 2-1 pipe.

Good luck.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
opened up the radius on the search and found these badboys...

Asking $5800
less than 1000 miles
dropped once
fixed by dealer
preds, bar end mirrors, chrome

3600 miles
Asking $5,000
looks looks like exhaust and bars modded

3600 miles
Asking $5,900
looks stock

i dont mind hoofin it out to those places (250+miles)... need to rent a van or trailer though... but thoughts?

under 5k would be ideal

also, thanks for all the responses

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi Life Bonnie

Go to the bank and get 35 Benjamins and 4 Grants.

Have him meet you half way. Look at and ride the scoot. You like? Peel off thirty Benjamins and watch him squirm. If he is still strong, add another 5. No deal? Walk away. He'll follow you like a bad dog after a bitch in heat. Add two more Benjamins plus a Grant and say that's it. No emotional tie, just walk away if he doesn't break your arm snatching the $3750 from your hand.

Put the bills in batches and hide them in different pockets. Don't stand there like a high-roller and count it out.

Act it!

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
What do you guys think about this 2004 for $4,700?
I'm certain I want a used Thruxton or a Scrambler.
Do you think this one is a bargain?
There are about 6,000 miles on it.

- Norman Hyde Toga silencers made for the Thrux
- Norman Hyde steering damper
- Thrux custom flyscreen
- Caspian blue custom paint on flyscreen, tank, sidecovers, and cowl (From Triumph)
- Rizmo bar end mirrors
- Monza style gas cap
- Pingle petcock
- Ikon shocks
- 19 tooth counter sprocket
- AI removal kit
- Lucas light kit
- Rubber boot cover and lifter arm cover on clutch cable
- Chrome engine kit (cam cover, transmission side covers, and counter sprocket cover)
- Norman Hyde chrome clamp covers for silencers
- Heli Bars
- Shift and brake levers moved to mid control from rear sets (have original parts)

- Black extended thumb screws for seat cowl and side covers
- Black front fork adjustment knob
- Wire grill headlight protector
- Upgraded decibel horn
- Flashing tail light modulator
- Self canceling turn signals
- Xeon headlight bulb

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
go get it!

as long as it checks out with a mechanic and all the recall work is done, i'd say go get it. i bet he will take 40-42 benjamins.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts