Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I listed my son's Thumpstar mini-bike on e-bay to help him get some emergency living expense $$, and was pretty encouraged when I saw the bidding climb up to the reserve.

Then, when the auction ended, I got to looking at the "successful bidder"-

- "0" rating
- of the 8 bids, 7 were his, and just kept stacking up one after the other
- apparently a scammer just running up the bid to find out the reserve.

To top it off, I cannot post a negative feedback for 7 days, even through the e-bay auction was structured with an e-bay selection of "24 hours" for deposit. The negative feedback feature should be activated after that time period, or the whole thing is useless.

I'll bet I would not be a good example for clean living if I had that turkey standing in front of me right now...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well wait and see if he pays and how it goes. There is nothing wrong with being a first-time buyer or bidding up to find out the reserve.

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
Gee, I thoguht this was going to be a "Return of Marshall" thread!

·
Premium Member
3,435 Posts
Yeah, nothing really sounds unusual about this to me at this point. It's Christmas, kind of an unsual time of year for your auction to be closing. I therefore expect some delays in payment, shipping, etc.

24 hours is a short time for payment. Typically it is 72 hours. It is also not a crime to be a "0" bidder - unless you said "no zero bidders in youy auction. Everyone had to start bidding on eBay sometime!

Have you tried to contact the bidder?

btw - what little tidbit of this has to do with classic,vintage, or vetern bikes? Sounds more like an eBay gripe that belongs in the BHO ;)

·
Registered
194 Posts
GPZ, I hear where you are coming from....I buy classic vintage parts, and have sold on Ebay, an it's a crap shoot whether or not your going to be paid, or receive your item....

Ebay now makes everyone take Paypal, so 24 hours seems reasonable to me.......btw, if you think your mad now, wait till you see how much time you spend trying to get Ebay to credit you for your listing fees.....

BTW, if Ebay is listed in one of the columns on the left, why wouldn't it be OK to discuss it?????

·
Super Moderator
12,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Moderators perogative!

Also, the folks in this section typically are the ones who deal with e-bay on a more regular basis.

I understand the timing issues, but we're talking about a relatively high value item, not a $3 clutch lever.

...lastly, this is the ONLY section of TriumphRat that I am on; I like the people and attitude here, and just can't handle the circus atmosphere elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Moderators perogative!

Also, the folks in this section typically are the ones who deal with e-bay on a more regular basis.

I understand the timing issues, but we're talking about a relatively high value item, not a $3 clutch lever.

...lastly, this is the ONLY section of TriumphRat that I am on; I like the people and attitude here, and just can't handle the circus atmosphere elsewhere.
WOOOHOOO !!!!!!! Thank You GPZ .

glad i kept my mouth shut and let you say it . yup , different group of folks here and great moderation :)

·
Super Moderator
12,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanx for the vote of affirmation, but I don't feel like anything I do here is "great", just in line with the attitude of the people here.

Shoot, there are 3 or 4 regulars here that typically give quicker, better, and more in-depth advice than I do...

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
GPZ, I hear where you are coming from....I buy classic vintage parts, and have sold on Ebay, an it's a crap shoot whether or not your going to be paid, or receive your item....

Ebay now makes everyone take Paypal, so 24 hours seems reasonable to me.......btw, if you think your mad now, wait till you see how much time you spend trying to get Ebay to credit you for your listing fees.....

BTW, if Ebay is listed in one of the columns on the left, why wouldn't it be OK to discuss it?????
When I DID deal with eBay, I would make payment AS SOON AS THE AUCTION ENDED.

I've quit dealing with eBay. It has been exactly one year today since one of Marshall's minions tried to scam me. Thankfully, s I noted above, I tried to pay the moment the auction ended and the seller would not take payment. Alarm bells rand and when I could make payment, they had bumped the price of shipping up from $10 to $100!!! No more eBaying for me.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Nothing wrong with bidding up to find the reserve, IF YOU PAY THE DEPOSIT PER AUCTION RULES WHEN YOU WIN.

This "successful bidder" hasn't paid within 24 hours, and now it's been 48 + hours...
There is the potential that he had a bidding robot or service placing his bids and he is away for the holiday, not monitoring his bidding. That might indicate that he's not as responsible as you might like, but not really renegging on the deal.

After you don't receive payment you can file a non-payment report on him.
That would get your Ebay selling fee back and get him started on the poop list (unfortunately it takes a number of reports to get him put on probation).
It's more effective than just negative feedback, but do both.
Maybe you can also offer it to the next lower bidder.

I've sold well over 300 items on the service and only run into one idiot, so don't give up hope yet and even if he was a prankster, you still have your bike and can get your fee back.
Ebay is a useful service that has put many people into work, but unfortunately it is Both Buyer and Seller "Beware."

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Another thing you might do if you relist it is to specify a given minimum number of positive feedbacks to qualify your bidders. Then monitor the bids and cancel any non-conforming bids; that will ban then from rebidding on your listing.

·
Registered
810 Posts
My friend bought a BSA gas tank off ebay. When it arrived he got a Honda tank with a BSA sticker on it! I try to do face to face deals, ever since I sent $0.75 cash to Mad Magazine in the sixties for a "Don Martin Steps Out book." I waited & and watched the mailman come for weeks. No book, no refund! Not to make light of your situation GPZ, I've never tried ebay.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
GP-

If you send any correspondence to this guy, do it through your eBay account. Keep those records. If he hasn't responded by now, report him (and his username) to eBay asap.

·
Registered
147 Posts
GPZ,

You do a great job moderating this forum!!!

Can the give the moderator from the Norton forum (www.accessnorton.com) a hurry up in accepting my membership application so i can post!!!! Its been 3 days now,.....might be on holidays!!???!!!.....

cheers,

Valiantbultaco

1 - 20 of 28 Posts