Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2009 T100 is dead! Bought her last fall and only was able to put around 400 milesbefore the winter took over.

Put her to bed correctly...stabilizer, battery tender and such.. Last week she started right up and away we went..all is well, until today!

Turned the key and all I hear after the fuel pump stettled down was a "click" from the starter solenoid and then the fuel pump cycles and wew try agian..CLick!

The battery is fine as I tried to charge it and it IS fully charged...still only click. Hooked her up to my Boats deepcycle battery and still click. Fuses are all good (nice little fuse puller in there by the way). Wacked the solenoid a few times still just click.

I know that this is warranty work but the dealer is 50 miles away and I dont have a trailer, so any ideas as to what I should check? Is there some sort of fusible link somewhere I dont know about? All of the other electrics work fine, just no starter!

ANY ideas??????

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
733 Posts
My buddy's '09 TBA did the same thing

right after his 500 mi service. Inexplicably, it would only start with the clutch pulled in. I'd check the kickstand switch and neutral safety switch, and oh, yeah-make sure it's out of gear :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
check your cables making sure they are tight enough.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had this problem, for me it was a stuck starter motor. Try sticking it in first and bumping the bike back and forwards to loosen it up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update and one other question

Thanks to all who responded!

The answer?......Starter is seized! Hit the starter button and the bike draws ALOT of current and click it shuts off!

Going to the dealer Friday to have starter replaced (warranty..thank god!) AND have the EFI remapped for my TORS.

I do have one question, My bike is due for its first service (500 miles) and I am having this also done...my question is, what does the 500 mile service entail and what shoulds this approximately cost me?

Thanks for all you help! By the way I sold my 69 Bonneville to purchase this new 09 T100...I wanted something that would simply run everyday...NO MORE TICKLING CARBS!!!!!! Even though I only have about 550 mles on her I am quickly getting very attached to this bike!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Thanks to all who responded!

The answer?......Starter is seized! Hit the starter button and the bike draws ALOT of current and click it shuts off!

Going to the dealer Friday to have starter replaced (warranty..thank god!) AND have the EFI remapped for my TORS.

I do have one question, My bike is due for its first service (500 miles) and I am having this also done...my question is, what does the 500 mile service entail and what shoulds this approximately cost me?

Thanks for all you help! By the way I sold my 69 Bonneville to purchase this new 09 T100...I wanted something that would simply run everyday...NO MORE TICKLING CARBS!!!!!! Even though I only have about 550 mles on her I am quickly getting very attached to this bike!
What does your 500 mile first service entail if want to go through with it? My dealer wants $225 for an oil change and push on the chain to see if needs to be adjusted...lol. That doesn't even include a reach around. I think I will change my own oil and spend the $200 I don't spend on gas and food.
Good Luck with your bike...first issue I have heard with an '09 bike...they seem to be quite reliable.
George

1 - 7 of 7 Posts