Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got caught in the rain - rode in it for about 30 miles when the bike just shut off. The electrics all worked. The engine would turn over, but it would not fire. I hauled it to the dealer and 15 days later, they were finished with it. They said that there was a breather hose going to the tank and that Triumph told them to cut a slit in it. This would eliminate the possibilty of water migrating its way up the hose and causing a vapor lock.

Is this a load of bull or not? Should they have checked my ignition and coil?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Sounds suspicious to me. I'd fight it. Most folks here would argue that bonnies are virtually waterproof.

15 days?!? Good grief. :evil:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Similar thing has happened to me in the past. Vapor lock, It wouldn't start again till I opened the gas cap and then it was fine the rest of the ride home. 15 days sounds pretty ridiculous though.
I've read that some people solved the problem by removing the tip-over valve and just running a straight run of tubing. But I haven't had the problem since, so I'm not going to change anything. If it ever happens again, just crack the gas cap for a second and it should be fine.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
also you can get water in your igniter and it will cause it to die abruptly, like when you're going 50mph in traffic...that's fun, hitting the starter in traffic at speed.

I bought a tube of dialectric grease at the auto parts store and slathered it on every connection I could find, under the seat, side covers, etc.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually pulled off the gas cap to see if I could hear any fuel sloshing around and it still wouldn't start after that. In the two hours that I stood standing by the side of the interstate, in the rain, at 45F, I couldn't think of anything else to try.

Oh yeah, the next day the bike started with no problems. It was still tied down in the bed of my truck in the garage. Do vapor locks eventually go away, or did wet electrics dry out?

[ This message was edited by: JTKMX on 2006-12-05 14:18 ]

·
Registered
246 Posts
No, if you took off the gas cap and it still wouldn't start, it probably wasn't vapor lock. I didn't read your first post thoroughly enough, you said it shut off. If it shut off like you hit the kill switch rather than sputter out like a fuel starvation, I'd look more to the electrics.
I had to do the same thing as Sweat. My ignition occasionally seemed to cut out momentarily so I slopped on the dielectric grease and haven't had the problem since. It's good to put on your spark plugs caps as well.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
This is the second thread in two days referencing dielectric grease. If there's such a thing as a motorcycle nerd we can probably each see one in the mirror.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
"Is this a load of bull or not?"

A BIG load of bull!!! If Triumph had told them anything, they would have told them to replace the fuel tank cap to cure the problem they described to you. The hose they said they put a slit in is for draining the overflow fuel when you over fill the tank. It is designed to drain the fuel onto the ground behind the engine. If they put a slit in it up stream from the tip over valve (the slit would have to be upstream to do any good) any over flow fuel could leak out of the slit onto your engine and possibly create a fire hazard. The tip over valve's purpose is to stop fuel from draining through this hose when the bike is horizontal--as in fell over on it's side.

The fuel tank vent is through the fuel cap, and there have been a few riders on this forum say they have had to replace the cap soon after purchase of '06 models because the bike wouldn't run.

Your description of the problem sounds like ignition problems--not fuel problems. As someone else said, when the tank fails to vent, the symptoms are just like running out of fuel.

Inspect the hose for the slit and take a picture of it if they did put a slit in the hose and send the picture to Triumph America and Triumph UK. Oh, yeah, find another dealer ASAP.

Larry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts