Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have de-snorkled as well.......to bad it is January in Wisconsin.....bike will be in the dinning for a few more months.......make more videos so I can live vicariously through you guys.....

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
I remember with the 01's when it all got started with the snorkel removed. It just continued from that point. LOL

Fun to see you guys already experimenting with the new bikes.

Takes me back to 2001/2002 time frame when we had the first forum for this bike on Delphi, the NTBF.

·
Registered
819 Posts
So I'd read a few posts on here about removing the snorkel and truly didn't really know what you guys were talking about... Today though I found myself cleaning the bike, i thought hey ill just pull that side cover off and have a look.

There's a bloody snorkel! So i got a flathead screwdriver (didn't have the right tool) and removed the screw, pulled on the snorkel and off it came. Put cover back on started bike and gave it a rev and thought hmmm not much there.

But then i went for a ride, it sounds great! So much more enjoyable to open her up now!
Don't ya just love these little tips. Just went out to the garage and pulled it off -5 mins. 🙏

·
Registered
280 Posts
So, as you all mentioned the removal of the snorkel was quite easy. Being TypeA tho I tried a little something to protect the intake. I took out the gasket and using Gorilla Glue Super Glue I ran a bead around the outside and attached some old window screen. I figured this would at least keep out the bigger bits that may find there way in.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
It'll make no difference to the airflow compared to the filter, but will help prevent European Swallows nesting in there, which is a good thing as the coconuts they carry back to their nests are known to cause issues when the husks break down in the carbs.

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
Possibly, but easy to blow out if that's the case. due to accessibility I'm not overly concerned... we'll see
I'd check it at every stop light......:grin2:

Oops, just looked at your pix, get rid of that ASAP.
You seriously have no idea of the resistance you have just introduced.

Sorry to disagree J but I deal with this on a daily basis.

·
Registered
576 Posts
It'll make no difference to the airflow compared to the filter, but will help prevent European Swallows nesting in there, which is a good thing as the coconuts they carry back to their nests are known to cause issues when the husks break down in the carbs.
It's the African swallows that make the most damage. It's a simple question of weight ratios!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Took it for a spin today and didn't notice any appreciable difference. Would there be something in particular I should be expecting with regard to intake restrictions? BTW, I like the term "bimble about", can I steal it?

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
I don't reckon either the snorkel removal or your little bit of screen will make a smidgen of difference. The air filter is so much more restrictive (as it has to be) the flow will be unchanged.
The only difference you should notice is the sound, as without the snorkel you get to hear the intake noises. The snorkel is there simply to reduce that sound for noise emission purposes.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I agree with Tricolour, very restrictive. If you insist on using a screen it should be cone shaped to at least double the surface area, cutting the restriction in half.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I removed snorkel installed that free flow anti turbulence ring and got the DNA filter kit. Immediate difference in throttle response ie: seems quicker to rev up and sounds even better with off road pipes... it may be all perception but feels/sounds good to me!

21 - 40 of 57 Posts