Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like there's a new x-pipe hitting the market every week, and I plan on purchasing one next month.

I've been leaning toward the TEC pipe, but with so many other options out there, I was hoping to get feedback on some of the other brands prior to plunking down my money.

The stock pipes will be changed as well, but the de-cat is getting done first. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Am pleased with the TEC Bike Parts x-pipe. It bolts to the same mount as the catalytic converter, so you can retain the small stainless steel shield plate that protects the cat. The TEC x-pipe uses the original clamps and seals. You just transfer them to the new x-pipe. Quality seems really nice, and it fit without modification or "persuading".

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Swung by Triumph dealer in Greensboro last week. They are very big on the Meerkat - and after hearing a T100 with the pipe, so am I. Looking at the part itself, the construction is excellent with very good welds. Certainly better than the (I assume) robot weld on the cat.

My next mod.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Considered one myself, but if you subtract personal opinions and posts by "friends"of the manufacturer there are few real differences. The Moto trio did test poorly on one or maybe 2 dyno comparisons, the others have no real objective comparisons and probably boil down to very small differences in the larger scheme of things. For what it is worth Classicbike_raisch.de has chosen the Free spirit X-pipe for it's Thruxton high performance stage 3 and 4 cam upgrade. ST cam due this month. It is nearly identical in appearance to the TEC.
Look for flange type clamping rings, large gas exchange area, and custom bends to get proper volume. All the rest if increased performance and not noise is your goal, heavily depends on all the other mods, as in intake, fueling, and exhaust cans. Even then there is no way to directly compare your result to "Joe's" bike because every major market has different tunes, fueling maps, and intake/exhaust hardware differences based on local pollution and noise legislation. There are 6 different tunes world wide, plus 2 aftermarket tunes.

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
As RHB says, "Look for flange type clamping rings, large gas exchange area, and custom bends to get proper volume".
I have no issue being referred to as "a friend of the manufacturer", although I did only chat for the first time with Peter at Meerkat *after* I ran the original "definitive" test. That test was purely to see if they really did run lean or not, which was the forum rumour making everyone nervous at that time.
I speak with Peter every month or two for a catch-up, usually to badger him to make some sort of a slash-cuts setup, because I think it suits the look of the Thruxtons and I reckon people would like them. I also suggested that he look at hiding a decat inside a cat, which is why there's now a super-secret Meerkat called the X-box that will pass any visual scrutiny.

I'm completely independent as far as the research goes, and I'll always post up the results accurately for any comparison of any products. The Moto-Trio was very poor performing because of its construction, which made it just as restrictive as the original cat. Don't ask me why they did that, but they did.
The others are more in-the-air re which to get. If you don't care about the 1-2HP of one over the other, I'd suggest you simply follow RHB's "Look for flange type clamping rings", as that makes fitting sensible and less likely to have sealing issues.
Applying RHB's "large gas exchange area, and custom bends" is more tricky, as most use the 1.75" pipe, which when bent (and mandrels are always bent as a proportion of their diameter) doesn't quite end up long enough to link front to back (which is why they weld an extra bit in the middle), but also reduces the "gas exchange area".

So honestly, I don't care which people buy, and I don't profit from any one vs any other. If a Triumph owner wants their WC decatting at our workshop, I'll fit a Meerkat, partly because they are easy to source, but mainly because they've given the best results of the systems we've dyno'd so far. If FS change theirs to be better than the Meerkat, I'd recommend and fit those.

It's a bit of a bitch when you publish comparative test results of the best performing modification you've found so far, and you get nothing but shít about it from people who own or sell competitive products or just have a grudge to bear, but such is the internet. Just keep a firm grip on reality, and remember that not everyone is mature or altruistic :smile2:

·
Registered
109 Posts
It's a bit of a bitch when you publish comparative test results of the best performing modification you've found so far, and you get nothing but shít about it from people who own or sell competitive products or just have a grudge to bear, but such is the internet. Just keep a firm grip on reality, and remember that not everyone is mature or altruistic :smile2:

For what its worth I appreciate your posts, which make a change from the ill informed opinion that seems to masquerade as fact these days.

You are a victim of the society Orwell warned us of, where people do not want to hear the truth, just confirmation that what they believe is the truth.

I personally cant decide if I will do a de-cat. Not interested in performance - I just like the idea of saving some weight and reducing the heat output. Might make it a winter project for this year while I am doing other mods.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Jsobell - I dont know you, I dont owe you anything - but you need to know that your contribution to the WC section is appreciated. You remind me a bit of a huge contributor, when the Air Cooled models were the new models - his name was Forcetto - he went out of his way hundreds of times to help us, done heaps of research and must have purchased some of the parts just to be able to show us how they worked, but he still copped some ****e. At one stage I thought he was going to spit the dummy, I think because he thought at times he was wasting his time. Lots of us encouraged him to continue his contribution. Your posts seem to always contain balance and some facts to back up your research and/or opinion. Its this type of info that we cant get anywhere else - my Triumph service department has made me sorry (up to a point) that I purchased another Triumph - I am dreading having to take it back there - so why am I crawling up your arse - because contributors like yourself are our best source of info, and its appreciated. Now why Meercat - anyone who has ever talked to the bloke and listened to his unbiased attitude and received their product when he says you will receive it, will understand why he has such a great name when it comes to cat deletes. I believe he will give you your money back if you dont like it and he has given some to others to just test out for comparison tests. He comes across as the type of bloke who has nothing to prove. Its what I call GOOD SERVICE and its sadly lacking in Australia. Anyhow - Jsobell, don't change anything and Let The Good Times Roll - Ray.

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
For what its worth I appreciate your posts, which make a change from the ill informed opinion that seems to masquerade as fact these days.

You are a victim of the society Orwell warned us of, where people do not want to hear the truth, just confirmation that what they believe is the truth.

I personally cant decide if I will do a de-cat. Not interested in performance - I just like the idea of saving some weight and reducing the heat output. Might make it a winter project for this year while I am doing other mods.
Yes, people wrongly claim that dyno runs are subjective and easily faked, but even if they were they would be infinitely more accurate than any 'opinion' :)

Re the heat, the decat makes no difference to the engine heat, that's just another of those weird rumours. A cat requires high heat to work, so it's designed to get nice and hot from the exhaust, so if you remove it there isn't that little hot box under the engine, and I suspect this is what confuses people.
Re performance, the peak HP is only a little different, but the mid-range torque is boosted noticeably by a decat. You also remove the snorkel (which your should do anyway) and the bike feels as though it's in sports mode all the time, and it obviously sounds more like a bike. That makes the mid-range more wholesome, and is great for urban riding.

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
Jsobell - I dont know you, I dont owe you anything - but you need to know that your contribution to the WC section is appreciated. You remind me a bit of a huge contributor, when the Air Cooled models were the new models - his name was Forcetto - he went out of his way hundreds of times to help us, done heaps of research and must have purchased some of the parts just to be able to show us how they worked, but he still copped some ****e. At one stage I thought he was going to spit the dummy, I think because he thought at times he was wasting his time. Lots of us encouraged him to continue his contribution. Your posts seem to always contain balance and some facts to back up your research and/or opinion. Its this type of info that we cant get anywhere else - my Triumph service department has made me sorry (up to a point) that I purchased another Triumph - I am dreading having to take it back there - so why am I crawling up your arse - because contributors like yourself are our best source of info, and its appreciated. Now why Meercat - anyone who has ever talked to the bloke and listened to his unbiased attitude and received their product when he says you will receive it, will understand why he has such a great name when it comes to cat deletes. I believe he will give you your money back if you dont like it and he has given some to others to just test out for comparison tests. He comes across as the type of bloke who has nothing to prove. Its what I call GOOD SERVICE and its sadly lacking in Australia. Anyhow - Jsobell, don't change anything and Let The Good Times Roll - Ray.
Cheers, thanks for that. I met Peter and his wife a few months ago when he brought her to an art exhibition in Melbourne. He is a genuinely great, honest and principled bloke, his wife is absolutely lovely, and I am adamant that if he thought his pipes were inadequate he would stop selling them. That's why he sent me the originals to test, as he'd had conflicting reports about the A/F ratio from people on the forums and wanted to know if his product might cause any damage.
Forcetto is indeed awesome. He's still a regular contributor, and can tell you the part number of an O-ring before you even open Google. He's a very altruistic person, and is exactly the type of person needed on forums, because he's simply stating facts and helping people.

Let me know if you're ever on a road-trip to Melbourne :D

Cheers, Jason

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Yes, people wrongly claim that dyno runs are subjective and easily faked, but even if they were they would be infinitely more accurate than any 'opinion' :)

Re the heat, the decat makes no difference to the engine heat, that's just another of those weird rumours. A cat requires high heat to work, so it's designed to get nice and hot from the exhaust, so if you remove it there isn't that little hot box under the engine, and I suspect this is what confuses people.
jsobell, I also appreciate your efforts! Without you and the few like you, there'd be nothing posted on these boards but opinion.

There's a lot less heat being radiated from my T120's engine area after fitting an x-pipe. The cooling fan doesn't run nearly as often, nor as long. The cat, of course, was the culprit. No confusion there, because your testing and analysis showed that fueling is very accurate, and the engine doesn't run particularly lean.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Reasonable people can disagree on what works better or best, but we should be careful not to quickly cast shade on someone's integrity. If the product you try works well or better by measurement than others and the company has great service it easy to do a little cheer leading.... I have done it before and will probably do it again if the situation arises again.

I have gotten different results on other products some of the people on this forum have in a few instances. However, I have no reason to question their integrity just because I got different results.

I don't think we have crossed the line yet on questioning integrity but it is getting closer than we need to be.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sorry, I did not make myself clear, fully aware of how a cat works, its the 'little hot box' I was referring to.

It may be my imagination but I notice a 'heat wave' coming up from the engine whenever I stop...especially in our summer. Never noticed this on my Firestorm despite having the engine spread further along the frame and the radiators by my knees.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Sorry, I did not make myself clear, fully aware of how a cat works, its the 'little hot box' I was referring to.

It may be my imagination but I notice a 'heat wave' coming up from the engine whenever I stop...especially in our summer. Never noticed this on my Firestorm despite having the engine spread further along the frame and the radiators by my knees.
Having ridden the old bonnie and now a wc one the lhs wafts plenty of heat on the wc model.

Sent from my F1f using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts

Damn, sorry, I honestly wasn't trying to sound condescending, I was trying to explain what I thought started the rumour of "bike running cooler". I was trying to explain that I don't think the cat itself contributes much to the feeling of heat.

I had two Firestorms (I bought one of the first ever back in about 1995), but their cooling system is completely different to these 1200s. They had a serious water-jacket and all cooling came from the twin radiators, with the air channeled outwards beyond your legs so you generally didn't feel it too much.
These 1200 engines have small radiators and do actually use the cooling fins on the block; they're not just for show. This means we get blasted by both the radiated heat from the fins, plus the fact that the fairingless design means we get the radiator heat on our shins too!
I find it really uncomfortable in traffic on a hot day, but the system clearly works well because even on 40°+ days the engine barely gets above 80°C (I have an oil temp gauge).

How hot does it get where you are? I've never been to NZ (yet)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Damn, sorry, I honestly wasn't trying to sound condescending, I was trying to explain what I thought started the rumour of "bike running cooler". I was trying to explain that I don't think the cat itself contributes much to the feeling of heat.

I had two Firestorms (I bought one of the first ever back in about 1995), but their cooling system is completely different to these 1200s. They had a serious water-jacket and all cooling came from the twin radiators, with the air channeled outwards beyond your legs so you generally didn't feel it too much.
These 1200 engines have small radiators and do actually use the cooling fins on the block; they're not just for show. This means we get blasted by both the radiated heat from the fins, plus the fact that the fairingless design means we get the radiator heat on our shins too!
I find it really uncomfortable in traffic on a hot day, but the system clearly works well because even on 40°+ days the engine barely gets above 80°C (I have an oil temp gauge).

How hot does it get where you are? I've never been to NZ (yet)
Didn't find you condescending, just thought I could have made myself clearer. I am down the bottom of the North Island where we dont usually experience much over the mid twenties in the summer. However we did have a bit of a heatwave recently which saw us in the low thirties which is getting into stay home with a cold beer(s) territory for me!

Rather miss the 'Storm. Bought the Thruxton as I felt it was time I got an old mans bike - probably my last bike -, and it largely fills the bill. Do get a bit frustrated with Triumphs 'form over function' philosophy, and their penny pinching on a product they brand as 'premium', and I very much miss the Honda build quality but I guess compromise is what life is all about.

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
Didn't find you condescending, just thought I could have made myself clearer. I am down the bottom of the North Island where we dont usually experience much over the mid twenties in the summer. However we did have a bit of a heatwave recently which saw us in the low thirties which is getting into stay home with a cold beer(s) territory for me!

Rather miss the 'Storm. Bought the Thruxton as I felt it was time I got an old mans bike - probably my last bike -, and it largely fills the bill. Do get a bit frustrated with Triumphs 'form over function' philosophy, and their penny pinching on a product they brand as 'premium', and I very much miss the Honda build quality but I guess compromise is what life is all about.
Jeez, I dream of high-20's in the summer. I hate the high temps of Melbourne!

There are some aspects of the VTR that I miss, such as its weight, the upright position, and it's more consistent throttle opening (although the latest tune seems to have addresses that).
What I don't miss are the carbs, and stripping them down every time I wanted to move the clip on the K&N needle or try a different jet size.
The other thing I really don't miss are those standard front forks. With both of mine I immediately had them re-shimmed. The stock ones are over-damped and under-sprung even for my 75Kg, so if you noticed it 'bottoming out' on speed-bumps or sudden braking, well that wasn't bottoming out at all, it's the shims locking. It was an issue from day one, and it means when you slam the front brake on in an emergency the front dives, the shock locks, the wheel bounces, and the front goes out. We had a shortage of panels in the UK back in the 90's because they reckon almost every VTR had gone down at least once :)
Re-springing and shimming fixed it beautifully, but even then it was nothing like the Thruxton-R's setup.

I completely agree about wanting an "old mans bike" as we yearn for simplicity and consistency as we get older :)

·
1,585 Posts
You folks from down under really are polite to each other. At least when you're not calling each other the C word. ;)

I typically cover my ST after my rides, and after having melted enough nylon to know better, wait a bit for the headers to cool off before tossing the cover on.

After decatting, the headers cool off way quicker. Like probably half much time required to reach the same cooler temp after shutting the engine off. Not a scientific test (or even explanation) but I can vouch for the headers not retaining as much heat with the x-pipe in place.

Makes sense from a thermodynamic perspective, since the catalytic converter has a whole lot more mass and surface area than an ordinary pipe does, so it will retain any heat transferred into it for longer.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts