Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

· Super Moderator
21,920 Posts
On 2007-03-06 16:08, ckassen wrote:
Thanks for the pictures, they have been a GREAT GREAT help. I am just going to run the bypass to a TEE, that would be easiest. I can just cut a part of the lower hose out and fit the TEE in just fine.
Having seen your current config, I would rather recommend you plumb the bypass to that intermediate connection and leave bottom hose intact - this will give you same configuration as the first picture above for those hoses.
Then just get rid of that OEM filler/thermostat assembly (it's kinda cumbersome anyway) and get a simple filler neck & plumb the top end like my pic - your top radiator connection appears to be on front side which is awkward but you can probably get around that with a clever piece of hose.
So you would end up with a combo of OEM (per the first pic) for the pump & bypass hoses and my solution for the head return hose/filler.

I have found out the the ECU on the 00RS and the 02 Daytona are the exact same part number and everything, so when I remap mine to the Daytona it SHOULD work alright.
I see that now - I had incorrectly assumed that the Sprint of that generation would be similar controller to that of the Speed Triples & Daytonas from that year - looks like the Sprint was ahead of the curve there! Should make things a lot easier!
Did you end up with O2 sensor or no?

· Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
The O2 sensor is on the exhaust pipe, correct? The new headers that I have ordered, off of a 02 Sprint, have a O2 sensor on them, but I dont know how I would hook it up, it should still run ok without one I believe. I am still looking into how I could put the O2 sensor on my bike, but it might be kinda difficult.

· Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I have finally recieved my headers and have started the bike up. It still had the 00RS tune in it and ran suprisingly good. But unfortunetally I didnt get any exhaust manifold gaskets, so i have a large exhaust leak out of each cylinder. So this next Tuesday I will be getting a remap and 3 gaskets.

Unfortunetally my 00RS can wont fit on the headers, so I will be forced to either get a 02 Sprint can or just run open headers with a nice exhaust tip on it. I am thinking that since the 02 Sprint headers and a slightly smaller diameter pipe that it should provide enough backpressure so that I can run it without a can. Although many times I have been wrong.
Does anybody even know what open headers would sound like? I dont have a problem with loud, but i do have a problem with annoying, I just dont know.

John

· Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I have finally gotten the bike up and running, the only thing is that my CEL is on. What would cause that to turn on? And also, my tach will twitch every once in a while, does that mean the TPS is starting to go bad?

· Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I was finally able to put on my old RS exhaust can and the bike seems to be running perfect, but I dont think that it has that 150hp, without a dyno, how could I tell if I have lost alot of power? It doesnt bog down or anything and seems to have about the same midrange as my old RS motor, but the topend doesnt seem super aggressive. Like in first gear, running say 5 grand and just hammer it, what usually happens? Pull the front end up or what? It just seems like it doesnt have 150hp, but I dont know.
Thanks,
John

· Super Moderator
21,920 Posts
On 2007-04-22 14:35, ckassen wrote:
Of course I have gotten a new tune (stock daytona), it would barely run with the sprint tune. ...
Sorry - there are a few holes in the continuity - your last reference from 3/15 had said it still had the Sprint tune (& you said ran surprisingly well actually), so wasn't sure that you had changed it.

It seems like only difference now is down to your headers/exhaust combo - those will definitely restrict power over the Daytona set, but not sure how much down it would be.

You should definitely be seeing a quite substantial difference in the power vs before. (147 vs 108) - something clearly inhibiting if you can't feel the difference.

· Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
It seems like i have alot of midrange power, like when passing cars in 6th gear it will really get on it. But top end doesnt seem super aggressive of course more than the midrange but it doesnt seem like 149hp. Maybe, since I havent driven the RS in about 7months i am just imagining it, but I think your right, its probably by RS pipe/header combo, plus the RS airbox. It seems to have helped my midrange but, idk. I can smoke my buddies 99 600f4i, and I can beat a 06 GSXR600 pretty easily, but I still dont think it has enough top end. If you get rid of your Daytona headers, give me a email.
Thanks,
John

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.