Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting a 02 Daytona motor in a 99 Sprint RS body. Everything fit and hooks up fine except the alternator, where is the alternator, I know the 99 RS has an external alternator and I dont know where the hook ups are for the alternator on the Daytona. Also, does the Daytona have a regulator and if it does what does it do?

· Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh my bad..duh..its a 00 Sprint. Thanks, for the info. I think that the alternator is the only thing I am going to have trouble with when it comes to "rigging" stuff up. Oh, and the exhaust system, but other than that it has been smooth sailing. On the wires coming out of the crankshaft, (which i know are from the alternator) they are all grey, (there are 3 of them) would that mean that they all do the same thing, like positive charge? Because if that is the case I can very easily hook them up.

On a completely new topic, I know in 02 or so they went to a open loop fuel injection system, (I believe it is where there is a sensor in the exhaust) and it changes your fuel air mixture when you drive, since the RS is a closed loop system, could I just leave that sensor unhooked, or how would that work?

What is a regulator? The only reason I ask is that I saw one on ebay for a Daytona, and the RS doesnt have one. I just dont know if i need it or not.

Also, the CDI box on the RS is the same as the 02 Daytona, but it has been programmed for a RS-955i motor, is it possible to run the daytona motor with that configuration just long enough to get the bike to a dealership so it can be remapped?

Thanks,
John

[ This message was edited by: ckassen on 2006-11-23 13:08 ]

· Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, on the scanner stuff I have no idea, I guess you would have to send it to my email. But I dont know.

[ This message was edited by: ckassen on 2006-11-23 19:16 ]

· Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow. that helps out tremedously. I think I should be able to get everything running correctly once I recieve all of my parts, but on a regulator, should I get a factory one or a other brand? And you said hook the wires up to my fuse box, should I do that or just hook them up to my old alternator wires, and then let them go through the fuse box or? And on that sensor in the exhaust I just leave it unhooked, correct? I think that pretty much sums everything up for me, but there is always the possibility of something messing up.
Thanks,
John

[ This message was edited by: ckassen on 2006-11-24 19:59 ]

· Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I am going to have to get some new coils, probably just buy some off a wrecked bike; its just a matter of finding them. I will decide which air box I will use once the throttle bodies come in, the only reason I dont want to buy a new box is because of the position of the sensor on the 02 air box, the connector from the RS harness isnt long enough, although I could just split them and add some more wire, I figure I can just wait and see how everything fits. You are right, the mounting does differ, but I am just going to decide what I will do once some other stuff comes in and I get it all figured out. Do you know if the exhaust headers for all of the 02 models are the same? It is just because I found some headers off of a 02 Sprint and am wondering if they should fit on my motor, and if I can hook up a 02 Daytona aftermarket can. Speaking of exhaust cans, what would be the best "bang for the buck" exhaust system, preferably a LOUD one. But anyways, almost all all of the wiring is hooked up except the alternator stuff, I just have to ground out a couple of things, but other than that it should work good. On my wiring harness I have 2 connectors that wernt connected to anything, they were wound up and were just there not doing anything, do you know what they are? Oh and I have to get a new oil cooler and connecting lines (the motor didnt come with any, but other than that and the exhaust it should be smooth sailing. One other thing is that I dont know if the connectors that hooked up to the coils on the RS will hook up correctly to the coils on the Daytona, I just dont know if they will match up, or if I will have to do some custom stuff.
Thanks,
John

[ This message was edited by: ckassen on 2006-11-26 15:19 ]

· Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been looking on ebay for coils, headers, and a regulator, and was wondering; from what other models are compatable with a 02 Daytona. for example, would the coils off of a 02 Sprint or S3 fit, or would they have to be off of a 02 Daytona. I have called a couple of dealers and they dont seem to know. They said I would have to give them the vin numbers but since I have a 00 RS frame I dont know how I would do it. All help is appreciated.
Thanks,
John

· Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just purchased some headers off of a wrecked 02 Sprint ST for $50 and some coils off of a 03 Sprint ST Now all I need is the oil cooler, regulator, and air box. You said that I need to be very careful when hooking the air temperature sensorup, can I just take 1 of those 2 extra connecters I was talking about and use it, since the connecter is the same and it has alot of extra wire or will I need that in the future? Also, when my headers come in; you said I need to hook up the wire coming from the exhaust, or can I just leave that unhooked? It would be alot easier to leave it unhooked. And on the headers, is the Sprint that much different than the Daytona, or will I have to now get a Sprint exhaust pipe?
Thanks,
John

[ This message was edited by: ckassen on 2006-11-29 16:12 ]

· Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Holy cow, the ST and the Daytona headers are different in 02. Does that mean that where they connect to the exhaust ports on the motor are different two? I was looking at the end of them and it appears that my muffler off of my 00 RS will fit, if it does will that hurt the daytona motor since the RS muffler is most likely more restrictive?
Thanks,
John

· Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, my stock RS header doesnt have a sensor going into it. It is a standard can, and I have found out, is that this 02 Sprint ST header should fit on my motor, and my stock can will fit on the header two, it is turning out better than I thought. No, I dont know anyone who has a good tuneboy. Also, on my connectors to my coils, I dont think that they are the same, what do you think would be the best way for me to rig it up? Thanks, for all the info your giving me it makes everything ALOT easier.
Thanks,
John

· Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have been a little worried about the Daytona airbox fitting under the RS tank, that is why I am waiting to see how everything fits once my throttle bodies come in. I dont think that it is possible but I am going to see how my RS airbox is going to fit over the throttle bodies. I wont really know how I am going to do everything, all I can do is wait and see, step by step. On the RS tune; I just remembered that I remapped my bike with the RS-aftermarket can tune; I dont know how it slipped my mind, but I thought I should let you know, considering that it might change stuff. Once I get everything hooked up I will haul the bike over to the Triumph dealership to get a new tune and start it up there first. I have been looking for dyno's and I have found out a place to get it tuned, or at least I think they can do Triumphs. I havent contacted them yet. I have finally gotten a regulator off of a 02 Daytona, $50 again. I will figure out some way to wire up the coils, I am thinking about buying a Daytona harness just so I can use some of the connectors off of it. But I dont know anything yet, right now I am just waiting for my parts to come in. Do you think that a oil cooler for $200 is a good price? I have found one but it is the ONLY one I have found and cant seem to compare it with anything els. Pictures of inside the daytona motor would be great, (if possible). It is hard to find that kinda stuff on the internet.
My email is [email protected]
Thanks,
John

[ This message was edited by: ckassen on 2006-12-02 17:22 ]

· Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks for the info.

I have just recieved my coils, but I do have a problem. Wiring them up. The coil itself has one connector with two pieces of metal in each one--A-B--, one for each wire to connect too--B-C--, but which wire goes to which connector? Would the wires be the same on the RS (left wire-C-to left peice of metal in the connector-A-) or would they be flipped?
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

[ This message was edited by: ckassen on 2006-12-11 19:45 ]

· Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I have recieved my throttle bodies and have found out that my air box will not fit. So I will be buying a new one, also the connector on the throttle body is different from the RS connector. I am going to buy a Daytona wiring harness so that I can take the connectors off of it and splice them so that they work. The number of wires are the same but I need to figure out which wire goes to what. It will be difficult, so I need a wiring diagram, if anybody could help me out that would be great.
Thanks,
John

· Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well I have mounted the regulator, oil cooler, airbox (it was a *****) and have fitted everything except the headers, which will be here Wendsday, but other than that everything is going good. It wasnt to hard to wire it all up, just took some time. The airbox though was the tough part.
I just figured I would let you all know exactly how everything was going. Let me know if you have questions. I will let you all know sometime next week IF it starts up.
John

· Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Could you give me some more info on what you did with your radiator, for right now that is my current problem, everything els appears to be alright. I have to go but did you put in a complete new harness or just kinda mixed the 2?
John

· Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
What I did was simply keep my original wiring harness and just rewire it with the 02 daytona harness, by changing some of the connectors. With the tach and speedometer, will they give the right readings since they are off of a 00RS or will the tach and everything be all screwed up?

As soon as I get this radiator stuff figured out, I will be able to start it up, but until then....I just wont know.
John

· Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
The wiring of my bike is relatively simple and not as complicated as it may seem. The bike is supposed to run 'ok' on its current tune, but I dont know what it will redline at, most likely 9,500rpm since that is what it is stock on the 00RS but I think the guages should work ok, or at least the speedo, engine temp, and other little stuff will work correctly since I have kept the 00 RS harness. The only thing would be the tach, I dont know how that is going to work, I am hoping it will be correct, although the 00RS only goes to 11,000rpm instead of what, 13,500rpms; or something like that on the 02 Daytona.

Anyways, the biggest challenge I have now would be the radiator. From the picture, your radiator itself is totally different from mine which could be a problem. Everything on my radiator will match up, except the small metal hose type thing, right under the large upper radiator hose. I dont know what to do with that. If you could give me your email I could send you a picture of what I am talking about, because i am not able to put pics on the forum. Or if you could just give me a picture of the lower area of the radiator, so I could see how you ran your hoses.

· Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Here, unfortunetally that email doesnt work anymore, my email is [email protected].

I think what I will do is take the water bypass hose (that small one that is close to the upper radiator hose) and tee that off with the radiator to water pump hose(the really long one at the bottom.
John

· Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Thanks for the pictures, they have been a GREAT GREAT help. I am just going to run the bypass to a TEE, that would be easiest. I can just cut a part of the lower hose out and fit the TEE in just fine.

On the whole wiring thing, I have already wired the entire bike up, along with the regulator, the ECU and everything is all ready to go. So I dont plan on jacking with anything now, unless something goes wrong.

I have found out the the ECU on the 00RS and the 02 Daytona are the exact same part number and everything, so when I remap mine to the Daytona it SHOULD work alright.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.