Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading on this forum and think that it is a great place to get answers. I am doing a conversion, and 02 Daytona motor, in a 99 Sprint RS body. Everything fits fine, except I cant seem to figure out how to hook up the alternator, where is the alternator? And, does the Daytona have a regulator and what does it do? I am trying to find out if I need to get a new wiring harness, everything hooks up fine except all of the alternator stuff. But I dont know.
Thanks,
John

·
Registered
828 Posts
the alt. is inside the motor. its the round cover that just in front of the front chain sprocket, under the daytona decal. the wires go into the engine via a rubber gromet.
</a>">

·
Registered
700 Posts
Nice picture, what kind of seat is that? How do you like compared to the factory seat?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ahh, ic... thank you very much, that solves a big problem, now I will have to find a way to rig it up. oh its a 00 Sprint RS, I dont know where I got 99.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Nice picture, what kind of seat is that? How do you like compared to the factory seat?

its a sargent seat. its by far a better seat. it is broad and sculpted in the rear, and tapered up front if ya still want to get aggressive and lean off the sides.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is a regulator? The only reason I ask is that I saw one on ebay for a Daytona, and the RS doesnt have one. I just dont know if i need it or not.

Also, the CDI box on the RS is the same as the 02 Daytona, but it has been programmed for a RS-955i motor, is it possible to run the daytona motor with that configuration just long enough to get the bike to a dealership so it can be remapped?

Also, what kind of plugs does the 02 daytona take?
Thanks,
John

[ This message was edited by: ckassen on 2006-11-23 13:46 ]

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Plugs are CR9EK (stock) or CR9EIX (Iridium) 10mm diameter thread x 19mm reach The 02 will still use a regulator. check with These Guys for your conversion questions. I think all you might need is a couple of different connectors in your harness.

Not sure if you should try to run a Daytona on an RS tune. Different cams and will probably 'Real' lean. IMHO borrow a truck or see if you can get the original computer from that engine. It might need some tweaks anyway with a Tune Boy System to get it right.

BOLD = LINK

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, that helps alot, i guess I will add one more thing to my list of "things to get". Now all I need is a wiring diagram.
Thanks,
John

·
Registered
899 Posts
The regulator wiring issues pose an interesting question and one I did think of when I did my RS/daytona conversion. I stuck with an 01 daytona motor because it was a direct bolt in and applied the same charging system as the RS. The regulator is internal in the alternator. Part numbers on the alternators are the same and all wiring the same 01 and below. I wanted to do an 02 daytona motor, but didn't because of the differences. Post how you come out on this one and please give details of what modifications you had to do to make it work because when I change out motors again, I may go the 02 daytona route.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I can tell you alot about just what is different. The engine mounts fit perfectly, the coils and throttle bodies are different(my daytona motor didnt come with any), the 02 motor has an external regulator, i have to get new headers since the ones off my RS didnt fit, and a new oil cooler (the hoses are different), and depending on how everything fits MAYBE and different air box. I think my only possible problem would be if the tank didnt fit correctly on top of the air box, but luckly the CDI box's are the same (programmed differently but i think after a remap it will be fine). I am just glad that for every new part I buy I have one to sell in its place.

It may sound like alot, but if you think about it, it isnt too bad, and I really like the idea of 149hp instead of the old 108(Although I would have kept the 108 if it wouldnt have had to blow up on me, and I wasnt even riding it that hard when it happened). I will let you all know how it turns out in the end, so far it hasnt been too bad, but that can change real quick. All i know is that i need to get a couple wiring diagrams, it would make it alot easier. Because if I get a daytona wiring harness that could make hooking things up ALOT more difficult.
Thanks,
John

·
Registered
899 Posts
I knew the motor bolted the same, the headers different and the airbox is different. I am more interested in how you end up wiring it. I was under the impression that an 02 daytona harness was the was to go instead of trying to use an RS harness. I think the 01 daytona had 128 HP which is plenty of an increase from the 108 for my spare bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts