Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a 2001 daytona 955 at auction. I brought it home the other day and had keys made. while putting it back together I broke the return valve on the fuel tank. while it was off, I did manage to start it, but because of the broken valve , turned it off after a minute or 2.

It rained all day yesterday so the bike was covered with a tarp. I put it back together today. went to start it, and nothing. the engine turned, but no spark. I pulled everything off again, pulled the new spark plugs, and with a spark plug in the wire, turned the motor, and no spark to the plugs. I trace the wire back and one side of the 2 wires from the spark wires goes to the grey plug on the ecu and the other to the black plug on the ecu. Can anyone point me in the right directions? Either, A the ECU got wet, or B I must have roughed something up in putting the fairings back on. If you care to call me, send me a pm and I will reply with my cell #

I do have a vag-com with and obd2 function and did pull some codes, but that would be related to all the connector and sensors taken off the bike with the key on.

·
Registered
108 Posts
dunno

Just went through this...could check the resistivity of the coils...would probably want to verify you've power going to the coil first though. Multimeter?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did some poking around in here after I posted and read abit about the kickstand switch.. giggle that, giggled some other connections, got spark. I put the bike bake together, and even though I had the clutch in, it still wouldn't start. I put it in neutral and broooom!!! start.

I still had codes from before, I cleared them, but it kicked another code, and the bike started to get very very hot. I read in here that 1553 is a cooling fan switch fault. I giggled the sensor and the fan came on, and cleared the code. When I picked the bike up from the auction, there was almost no coolant in there. Filled it with water and coolant, but every time after I stop the check it the coolant seems to go down about 5 or 6 oz., enough so there is almost none under the cap. Is that normal? the engine also sounds like some one dropped a hand full of ball bearings in there, is that normal? And finally, slow driving around town and light throttle there is a lot of hesitation in the low rpm's. Is that normal too??? 0 to 100 in about 2.5 seconds though. I suspect if there was a problem with the motor, it couldn't do that. Sorry for all the questions, I never rode a triumph before.

·
Registered
69 Posts
hmmm, I have a s3, little newer, but pretty much the same.. if the coolant doesn't seem to be going anywhere (in your oil, out the exhaust in a white fog, on the ground..) it may just be bleeding out air in the system, mine leaked a bunch on the ground a couple of years ago with no rhyme or reason to it (has not done it since) I do tend to add a couple ounces of coolant maybe 1-2 times a year. seems to run between 170-225f depending on the ambient temp and speed (190f tops while making 50+ mph) 225 when traped in 95+ gridlock

As for the mechanical noise, mine has a fair bit of "Character", but nothing I would refer to as ball bearings. What are you running for oil and is it fresh? change it look for crap in the oil, water, metal, perhaps cut your filter apart to look for engine parts damage. Does the sound occur at idle, clutch in / out, under load, all the time, certain gears? as for the low end flat spot, could be a funny map, power commander fitted? mine really needs about 2.5k on the tach before it pulls with authority ;), but after that its all out. You should be able to accelerate cleanly if not real rapidly in third gear from 25ish mph

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know what oil is in there. I do know it was fresh as in clean and clear, and there was too much of it in there. I drained about 3/4 a quart. I took the bike to a motorcycle shop and he said it sounded like a typical triumph. That leaves the hesitation in 1st gear. I guess it's just characteristic of the bike. It's like I have to push through the gear, It doesn't want to go slow. Out on the road, there is power to spare. I don't know how to tell if it has power commander or if it's been remapped.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts