Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I'm looking for tips on extras for my Daytona. It's a 2002 model (last of the double swing arms) in Silver and it's a completely standard unit - no extras added.

Time has come for me to give it a little something extra. I've seen many postings on here about mods and upgrades people have made. In terms of both performance and style, what would you list as your top 3 mods that just HAVE to be done??

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Okay:

How much money are you looking to spend?

Are you more interested in making your bike look better or perform better?

That will help me tell you what I would do...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Total budget probably between 1k - 2k US$. I'm not really too fussed whether it's performance or style - probably a mixture of both. For example, I think top of my list is a new exhaust pipe as the standard chrome metal pipe is a looking a bit tired now!

I guess the one thing I'm not too bothered about is any drastic improvements in top end speed as I can't use what I have in Japan anyway!

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Yeah, exhuast will eat up $250-$600 (depending on what you get). There are lots of options out there. Most have a slight increase in performance, so it's up to your personal preference (and your wallet).

Next, maybe a 520 conversion. It doesn't look a whole lot better but it does give you a little better accelleration. Cheap power too, below $200 in some cases. A PC III chip might be a good idea (approx $300).

After that, maybe some carbon fiber goodies to dress it up a little (and reduce weight). Perhaps some pazzo levers or a different windscreen to show off some color.

Lots of options, there are a few... :upthumb:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
A new pipe, if you get a good one, with the TOR tune will give about 8 bhp gain with most of that in the mid range where you need it on the road. With a tuneboy you can get even more power and if you use it to advance the ignition too, more still

Something like a Tridentpipe along with the Tuneboy would give the best power output without spending too much money (around $1000 total incuding shipping) leaving you the rest to spend on styling and maybe a brake upgrade (pads and lines) to handle the power.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
TokyoColin, Regearing is the most bang-for-the-buck change you can perform. An 18 tooth countershaft sprocket (19T original on DSSA) makes a noticeable difference...add two teeth on the rear (to 46T) and you'll wonder where the old bike went off to.

A Triumph Off Road (TOR) re-map and an aftermarket can will improve driveability and add a nice personal touch.

A tank guard on the rear of the gas tank will cover up and prevent paint scratching there.

Don't overlook general maintenance. If you've ~ 12K miles, it's time for the valve clearance to be checked.

Brad

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I would go for ;
a carbon can, take your pick of type
double bubble screen
carbon or colour matched hugger
Then a few personal bits, yoke cover and that sort of stuff. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

·
Registered
328 Posts
top 3
exhaust sprockets K&N

Then carbonfiber it up

·
Registered
49 Posts
Let's not forget that most basic of upgrades (at least in my mind)...

Rear fender eliminator kit so your bike doesn't look like it has a snow shovel hanging off the back end.

Low profile or flush mount turn signals to replace the factory golf club signals.

I spent under $150 for these upgrades and they made a huge difference in the way the bike looks.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Exhaust
Sprockets (front down one-rear up two)
Tuneboy

You'll lose some top end, but the mid-range will be considerably more potent.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Can

Handlebars

Seat hump (put some numbers on it!)

Indicators

Hugger

That should do.

Will sound better, Look better, feel better. Then put one of ton ups stickers somewhere and an ace cafe logo. A proper modern rockers bike not a pastiche of something older though them thruxtons they are pretty aren't they?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi everyone,

Many thanks for all your suggestions. I think the exhaust pipe is a definate candidate. Will take a look at everything else you've posted and see what's available in Japan.

When it's all done, I'll post a picture!

Cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts