Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Yup K&N do a panel filter that will fit in your original air box..you will need to remove the air box and take all the connecting screws out take out the old filter and install the K&N, put the two halves back together with a little sealant and screw back together...carefully as the plastic can be a little brittle.

Sprint Manufacturing..or ebay etc can supply..I think cost is about the 30-35 pound mark.

Pod filters will also fit but may require more work to work ;-)

Cheers
Mot

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
They are an oval so diameter kinda doesn't work.....Sprint manufacturing can supply K&N pods to fit....cost about £100..you will also need to consider rejetting etc to suit..might not be as straight forward, but if you have the time and inclination you can make it work..don't know if the air flows the same way on a fared bike as a naked ? ir if that matters ?

Sorry I can't be of more help..what we need is someone with a Daytona who has fitted pods maybe..?

Cheers
Mot

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
I use these on my 1995 Daytona 1200:
http://www.autocom.com/prod_1855881.html
They are oval and tapered but I still needed to shave/file off rubber on the sides to make them fit. It's even worse on the FCRs I have fitted as the spacing isn't even (like the OEM carbs). The main reason I have them is I was tired of messing with the airbox every time I needed to get at the carbs. I can't comment towards rejetting as I had installed the Dynojet kit at the same time (with the OEM carbs).
The shop who "worked up" my FCRs (that's another story and might contain too many expletatives!!) said I'd get better performance with a ram air setup. Whatever my feelings are towards that shop there is merit in that statement (and Trypcil's post). It's quite hot under those fairings with little airflow. It first struck me when I first got a D12 and wore my mesh riding pants with ankle boots. My legs were fried. I use my shin high riding boots exclusively now when on the D12 (I never had that problem on my Bonne!)
I saw a sweet carbon fiber heat shield in one of the local bike shops but they don't have anything for the T3s. It bolts onto the carbs and creates a barrier between the block and the carbs only but thought I could make an extension further back under the air filters. I will most likely not do this as I plan to make Kevlar/carbon fiber body fairing panels and am still designing a ram air system into them to feed an airbox.
Anyhow, if you're looking for pure performace gains I'd think twice about it.
Triton

1 - 6 of 6 Posts