Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

81 - 100 of 133 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,984 Posts
....Initial impressions are that there is a dip in the torque curve up to about 4500 as there is a distinct pick up in the last 500. It does feel sprightlier generally, but it is snatchy between 2500 and 4500, and doesn’t like constant throttle in that range either....
Is this the stock Daytona tune Rexx?

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Standard Daytona Tune

Yup, it's the standard Daytona tune as loaded by Sandy. I want to do the warranty period with it exactly as Sandy's instructions. It's quite surreal seeing the fuel needle of the top of the dial permanently!

Rexx

·
Super Moderator
21,984 Posts
Initial impressions are that there is a dip in the torque curve up to about 4500 as there is a distinct pick up in the last 500. It does feel sprightlier generally, but it is snatchy between 2500 and 4500, and doesn’t like constant throttle in that range either.
Yup, it's the standard Daytona tune as loaded by Sandy.
Then that would explain - there is HUGE hole in that region as seen in the stock dyno plots posted up earlier. You're going to love the Massive tune, especially with a little tweaking on it to match your own pipe set-up.

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
Good job Rexx (and DEcosse)

I pleased that you are back on two wheels again.. :D

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Massive Midrange3

Hi ckassen,

The Massive midrange series of tunes was created by a member (Cerberus) of another Triumph Forum (T595.net I think). He's spent a great deal of time on the Dyno with the Tuneboy Software to generate the tune. You will need the Tuneboy software and cable (or at the very least a friend with the software and purchase the key for your ECU) to be able to download the tune to your bike. you'll also need a Laptop or PC near enough for the cable to reach!!!

Hi Steven,

Thanks, you won't believe how relaxed and chilled I feel again now that I can get out and ride. Almost up to the 500 mile oil and filter change now! It's starting to feel quite potent, but then I'm still limited to only 6000rpm but it does feel strong.

Guess I had better start looking at how to get hold of running in oil and a filter!

Rexx

·
Premium Member
24,373 Posts
WELL done

Congratulations Rexx and Kenn.......... oho double letters now!

I take my hat off to you guys that can do that sort of thing.:welldone:

All I do is ride the beast, but by god that's fun!!!:wacko:

Now When are you too going to get together and build uncle Dave's Daytona powered machine?:huh:

DaveM:3dcool:

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Order Enquiry No 2

Dear Mr M

thank you for your enquiry in to up-engining your Sprint ST.

Please contact Triumph-ant to ship you a Rebuilt Daytona Engine.

Please supply Rexx with Daytona Manifold (1 off) and end can (1 off).

Please supply 2 (partner supervises this sort of overseas work :D) return tickets to Oz and accommodation for 1 week to fit!

Stop Press.....

Just had an email from Australia's premier tyre distribution pointing out that they have trouble keeping up with your current consumption Mr M and have kindly requested that we not give you additional horsepower....

Sorry :D :D

Rexx

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
Like you need more ponies Dave!!

You use more tyres than have hot breakfasts. Oh! by the by thanks for Sunday..:)

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Oil Capacity

Hi DEcosse,

just done the oil and filter change and made the assumption that the Daytona Engine takes the same amount as the ST 3.2litres including the filter. Is this right?

Rexx

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
A sort of thank you.....

Well, as a way of thank you, here is the (very nearly) finished article....

I'm 100 miles short of the 1000 for running in, and then I get to play with the rest of the 10,500 revs!

I'm going to put 1,500 miles on it, using the whole range before I take it in to the Dyno and start playing with the tune, so with the british weather closing in, I reckon that puts me in to spring next year. So as far as I am concerned it's done!

Particular thanks to DEcosse, and to Wayne of Tuneboy - hope you like the decals... I assume that's what they're for... number of Triumph guys have asked me what Tuneboy is "No it's not my nickname....." so I've been spreading the word!

Thanks again guys..:notworthy:

Rexx

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
You should be very proud of what you have accomplished with your machine. Beauty and power.:motorbike2:

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
All run in!

Thought I'd resurrect this thread to report that I have finally managed to complete the run in. I thought the low end revs part of running in was going to be the frustrating part, but I was so wrong. It was the last block, being limited to 7000 rpm, just when the engine starts to really pull!

Well, I did the last 20miles of running and have started to make use of that last 3500rpm.

WOW! What a buzz:elated:

I haven't yet started cracking the throttle open hard, but have been rolling open to take her up to the 10,500 limit. This engine just pulls like a train from 5.5 through to the red line, getting faster and harder. Go for an ST like smooth but smart get away and the front comes up without effort, and again in second, and again in third. Not done that before! I tend to like both my patches of rubber on the ground.

I'm going to have to fit a seat belt to my baby, when I feel I can start getting more sharp with the throttle, I'm gonna have to have worked on my abs and knees to stay forward enough to keep that front down!

There are two downsides at the moment....

1. The fuelling down in the 2-3.5k range is lumpy, making 30mph and 40 mph town zones a slightly stuttery/jerky experience
  2. There is a flat spot (or dip) in the 3-5.5k range which makes it feel sluggish in the zone the ST engine felt strongest, but give me 500 miles to loosen the rest of the horses, and it's off to the dyno with the massive tune to fill in that hole
This is such a transformation. I would say this is a really worthwhile £800 if you have damaged your engine in a crash!

Shame it's winter over here and dry days are few and far between!

A very happy Rexx!!!!

·
Super Moderator
21,984 Posts
Hi Rexx - I'm still not clear on whether you've installed the massive tune or this is your experience with the original Daytona one?
If you haven't already I would go ahead & install the massive tune - even without a dyno to refine it perfectly, it's sure to be better than the OEM

I hear you regarding the weather - I actually passed by your front door (well, on the M4 anyway) week before last - it was raining horizontal! :p
A little more forethought it would have been nice to hook up, maybe next time. I had intended to pay Sandy a visit also as I was in South Wales (Newport) but was only there for a few days.

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Raining Horizontal

Yup, that sounds about right. You are more than welcome any time.... bed and board if you need it.

I haven't installed the tune yet. I wanted to get through the warranty period without doing anything to invalidate it. I hoped to also have completed 1500 miles before that time as well.

When I reach that point I want to go to the Dyno, see what it is doing on the standard tune, then load the massive/ST hybrid that Wayne has done for me, and capture that, and finally (if it is needed) make any tweaks neccessary to compensate for the ST airbox and stylee exhaust. that way I will have 3 nice graphs to post and point at!

Not too long if I can ride between the raindrops (Pat Benatar where are you!)

Rexx

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
I am sooo envious Rexx.. :(

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Dyno Time!

So, I have booked the bike in for a morning on the Dyno, next Monday. I have the week off, so fingers crossed for good weather!!

I thought I'd do some prep like getting used to transferring tunes with tuneboy. I noticed the tune that Sandy at Triumph-ant had loaded was 010152.

A quick look up on Tuneboy site has this as the original S3 tune, and the root of several others.

I am confused. How do I know that I have a Daytona Engine. I'm not sure I can go by the engine number as I know that Sandy tends to build from recovered cases etc, so it is the internals that are critical. How do I check.

The engine revs to 10,500. It feels a little flat up to 6,500 (not dull, just no different to the ST) but after that it is a different engine. It feels like it revs faster than my old ST, it is certainly more eager to lift the front, and I am struggling to keep up with it, unlike the ST.

So, assuming it is a Daytona engine, what effect would the S3 tune have?

What about the other way round.... if I load the Daytona tune, and it's and S3?

I'm a little unsure of what to do when I reach the dyno... advice PLEASE!

Rexx

81 - 100 of 133 Posts