Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 60 of 133 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Daytona Manifold Fit

The manifold arrived from the eBay guys yesterday, so between the showers I popped out to trial fit it - Couldn't wait until the weekend! :eek:

Seems there might be a slight hiccup with the oil cooler. I had a quick chat on the phone with a friend in the dealership who grovelled under their 'tona for me. The oil cooler on the 'tona feeds in at either end of the bottom rail of the unit, while the ST had a pair of pipes near the centre line of the bike.

The header unit has the balancing pipes just where those pipes run out of the cooler, but it looks like I may be able to squeeze the cooler pipes between the individual branches of the header, rather than trying to find alternate routing.

I didn't get much time before the rain came back so no pictures yet - not been flooded, but it is all around the area!

Anyone got pictures of a 'tona installation so I can see what I am up against please?

DEcosse, my TuneBoy group buy arrived today :D. Can you tell me where I can find this Massive Midrange tune to send to Wayne, please. Also how much did you donate, and how did you do it?

Ta

Rexx

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Two forward; One back

Well, after fitting I had to wait a day or two for the link pipe.... and when I got it it doesn't do the job.

Much scratching of head later I decided to build them a jig... Well if I can't get the whole bike to them, then a 1:1 model of the right bits should do the job.

You shoulda seen the guys face when I rolled up with this Heath-Robinson (own up! Who else is old enough to remember him?) affair bolted to a hacksawed Daytona manifold. The tech at the exhaust centre is really starting to enter into the spirit of this!

Hopefully Mk II will fit, and then I can start modifying the fairings as I did a quick check while the sawn of Daytona pipe was on, and it looks like it touches the belly pan.

My first instinct is to put a spacer behind the lower rear belly pan fixing and flex the panel out a little, otherwise it is out with the Dremel.

My accuracy with a Dremel.... :cannon:

More soon I hope

Rexx

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
MOre power, and...

Yep, more horses, and I prefer my 955 to the 1050. It's a nice bike but there's too much wrong with it for me;

The luggage doesn't hold enough for our trips
The riding position gave me neck, shoulder and wrist pains when I took the 05 model out for the day, 2 years ago
It doesn't have that much more oomph than mine, and I would have to fork out the thick end of £4k with the part-ex to replace what I have with my bike
It's gorgeous to look at from the frame forward, but I just think the back is too busy; as if several people designed the detail, but no one co-ordinated.

Now I do appreciate the new the bike, but I didn't think it was enough of an improvement for the money I would have to have spent. My bike is my only transport and this way I get to keep my bike, on which I have already spent much time and money; I get to turn an accident into an improvement, and I do something that no one else has done.

There you go. Time to duck the flames ;)

Rexx

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
Good job Rexx. Keep it up, I admire your tenacity. :D

Awaiting the next installment..:)

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
5 forward 4 back

Well, I got the modified manifold and link pipe back from the garage today. Unfortunately they had removed the spare pipe from one end, and guess what... it was the end I needed. With much hacksawing and swearing I managed to get a useable tack-welded item made, but they are going to have real problems welding where there is no overlap.... their problem for loosing the spare I reckon!

While I was there I test fit the belly pan. After bending the lower rear bracket slightly I got good clearance all round!!

Woo hoo I can see light at the end of the tunnel.... hope it isn't a train!!!

6 weeks without my baby......:(

New Pics

Rexx

·
Super Moderator
22,062 Posts
Hey Rexx - good work!

Now why not tackle the motor swap yourself & save a few dollars on the installation? Especially now you have the Tuneboy .....
Should be pretty much a straight swap now - airbox is the same even.

Speaking of Tuneboy, in conjunction with exhaust mods - I just realized you were planning on using one of the MM tunes - recognize that is tuned for a more free-flowing muffler (Tors or after-market) than the OEM, so you may need to add a different can. Otherwise Wayne's tune (the other chart I posted) may be better suited for the stock muffler.

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Muffler

In the words of all the good project management manuals I have to read, I am managing the risk by transferring it!

Actually there are a couple of things that need solving that I don't have the time and tools to do, like the oil cooler. I have done all the body repairs and the cockpit frame, and am happy to have the pros do the engine. Have to confess I was tempted... you seem to be inside my head here, but it would take 3 times as long, and I WANT TO RIDE! Oops did I shout then. Did I mention that I am really missing the riding. We have had a week of sunshine now here in Wiltshire, and it is the first decent week since April... and I missed it.

Anyway, back to the discussion. The can I have fitted is the SS TOR, but not the 03-04 version, the 01 model, which doesn't have all those baffles to do the mufflerectomy on. I think this should flow as well as the Daytona one, it is just the constriction of the link kink that will affect the tune I think. I'm planning to take the bike to a dyno after Sandy and his crew have installed the engine, measure it, then install massive 3 and then get the experts to use Tuneboy to fine tune M3 for me.

I think I will be down on horses compared to the Daytona pipe, but only at the top end.

Here's hoping anyway;)

Rexx

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
5 Forward... None Back

I picked up the welded exhaust this afternoon. The place had done a good job on the welding and a really neat job on replacing the mating sleeve on the end can.

I was a little worried that the welding had distorted the pipe as it is very close to the sump, but no it fit properly, and the can hangs in the right place.

Several hours this evening spent fabricating the mounting bracket and fitting it. Definitely a case of Seagull welding from me (I leave you to work that out!) but it's on and firm. That just leaves the centrestand stop to fabricate on Sunday.... That's if I can tear myself away from the WSB on Eurosport!

I can't believe there were no hang-ups this evening. Mind you I think my bike must be feeling a litte like a prostitute by now. I can have the pipes on or off her faster than you can say "triples rule!".

Well I have uploaded a few more pictures for you interested ones so here they are...

New Pics

Rexx

·
Super Moderator
22,062 Posts
Very, very nice Rexx - hardest part definitely over IMO.

Not being a nit-pick but why didn't you use bigger bore pipe between the collector out & the exhaust connector pipe? Was that because you used the Sprint one? Not possible to have a bigger bore fabbed up?

Like you say, probably not that big a deal in the pants dyno.

Got the seagull welding thing by the way! :D

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Link Pipe

That's a Daytona header with a 54mm link pipe there DEcosse, just like the Daytona. I know that because it hasn't been mandrel bent that I am loosing section in those turns, but it is still much bigger than the weedy ST version. It's a right tight fit between the pipe and the sump under there!

Rexx

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Nearly there

Well, I spent the day fabricating the two brackets on the ST exhaust, and then fitting it.

I've added a picture to the album of the standard Sprint and my hybrid Sprintona exhaust. I then put the bike back together, and it's now waiting for a call from Sandy to say they're ready to give me an engine!

Can't wait. Unfortunately it is going to be another 2-3 weeks by my estimation!

Pictures

Rexx

·
Registered
318 Posts
Its a good thing that you decided to modify your headers instead of using the ST ones. I have a 02 Daytona motor in a 00 RS body and frame and used some ST headers and it just restricts the top end.
John

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Turbo Sprint

Hi,

I did look long and hard at the turbo but I couldn't really afford the kit, and the UK support if I ran into difficulties was non-existant.

This is an insurance job, and other than the larger bore pipe, will look standard to any assessor!!!

I was really taken by the turbo, I have to say. 50% more horses and (more importantly) 50% more torque was very tempting! Just too many issues in the UK

Rexx

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
RS with Daytona

Hi CKassen,

good to see you on this meandering thread, and good to hear that someone has done the deed already.

Have you invested in Tuneboy and optimised the engine? If you read back through this thread you will see a tune that DEcosse calls Massive 2, that seems to make quite a difference to torque, but you would be able to get a dyno guy to make the best of your engine.

Alternatively, you could make a custom pipe like I have. I picked up the Daytona manifold off eBay for £100 + P&P and then had the link pipe made and welded to the header by a local exhaust centre for £60. It was a little complicated by the fact that I couldn't get the bike to them, so there was a little to-ing and fro-ing before it came good, but it looks pretty standard now!

Rexx

41 - 60 of 133 Posts