Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the 955i Daytona and am wondering if it would be any good for sport-touring. I don't yet own one, but it's only a matter of time. I guess my question is, if you fitted a Daytona with bar risers and maybe replaced the stock seat, could you do 400-mile days on it? Or are the ergos just unsuitable for touring?

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
I've done a couple of 700 mile days on mine - the bars are only difference and if anything the Daytona fairing probably helps the situation over my naked. (It's a Daytona in T509 clothing! :p )
Seats are also the same between the 'Tona & Triple of similar model years. I have a Corbin or get your seat addressed by Spencer at Great Day To Ride.
So get some different bars and why not?

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
almostblue62, There's a couple of members (perhaps more) that have modified their D955i and gone cross country.

Brad

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have never gone touring, but I have done several 500+ mile days on mine... once all interstate miles. I had no problem with bar risers and a tall ST windscreen, bike seemed pretty comfortable. Cruising at 80mph sustained you pretty much have to get off every 2.5hrs anyway to refuel. I have stock saddle and find it isn't very comfortable when wearing jeans, but in leathers it is fine... I think that would be the case no matter what seat though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to hear. As much as I like my '99 Speed Triple, I miss having a fully fared bike and want very much to switch to a Daytona of similar vintage. There are two for sale in my area on Craigslist with low miles. One's a '98 and the other is a '99. Both are red and each has less than 15K miles. They are in the $3K range.
If I can sell my S3, I'll probably jump on one of the Daytonas. I live on the North Coast of Calif. and do a lot of 200-300 mile daily outings. I'd immediately go for bar risers and prolly a seat. I find the stock seat a little hard after a few hours.

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
If you can make the stretch get an 02+ - better engine all round.
98 is T595 and I would recommend 99+ which overcame some of the 97/98 issues, if you want the older body style.

I looked at a 97-01 Daytona with prospect of putting taller bars on - there is not much you can get to raise the bars on that model by a modest amount as the fairing interferes pretty quickly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
955 touring

I routinely ride all day on my '05. And every year I get in a week of touring. Fabricated mounts for Givi bags and attached a Zumo to the clutch housing bolt. No other mods necessary in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
"98 is T595 and I would recommend 99+ which overcame some of the 97/98 issues, if you want the older body style." --DEcosse

+1 WRT this. The '98s are basically okay the second half of production, but the '99 has some improvements that make it much more worthwhile. I also agree with getting a '02> D955i as they're light years better.

Brad

·
Registered
48 Posts
Did many 500+ mile days on my 2002 Daytona. I just have some bar risers and then the cortech sport package (tailbag and saddlebags). I don't think the seat change is necessary, but you can do it. I always found the piping on the aftermarket seats digs into my thigh, but it all depends on your riding style and build.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
The Daytona is a relatively comfortable bike anyway, so yes, it will make a great sport-tourer. Check with Dano, who is one of our members.

He makes Givi bag mounts for the Daytona. He's a good guy, too....

·
Registered
8 Posts
But I'm thinking I see a Sargent rider seat in that pic ....
OK three things. Good eyes DEcosse.

Actually the Sargent seat was my second best investment, the first was a quick seat release kit by Sky King Products. Sadly they don't seem to carry it anymore.

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
...the first was a quick seat release kit by Sky King Products. Sadly they don't seem to carry it anymore.
I think the QR release for my late model seat was one of the first things I bought for my early model seat - I see he still does that model, but as you say, the later one no longer seems to be there...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Did many 500+ mile days on my 2002 Daytona. I just have some bar risers and then the cortech sport package (tailbag and saddlebags). I don't think the seat change is necessary, but you can do it. I always found the piping on the aftermarket seats digs into my thigh, but it all depends on your riding style and build.
Hi sleddog999 I was just wondering what risers you put on your 2002 'tona? - or what risers anyone else can recommend. Uk available recommended ones would be even better

·
Registered
31 Posts
Anybody I ever got in a conversation with about my 2001 955i always considered it a sport tourer/sport hybrid. Add some of the bags I see on this thread and you're definitely in Business.

Ever considered a sprint?

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
My 2005 was the ultimate road bike:

Oxford bags and tail trunk worked great for long trips. The stayed on the bike through a 65 mph crash that the bike didn't survive. Had the taller shield and Heli Bars. All day comfort, more power than an ST. Great bike.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just done 900 miles in the last 3 days with 400 on day one. Mixture of motorway and twisties. Superb engine for mile munching. Roll on it just mullers everything. As for the twisties, well she's a big old girl! Got to show her who the daddy is :-D

In my (limited) experience - I've only had her a couple of weeks now - I'd:-

Invest in a new seat.
Pop on a taller screen.

Happy daze.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just been to Donnington and back this weekend (400 miles round trip) she never missed a beat. Really hot and a torrential thunderstorm. Great trip. The more I ride her the more I like her :)

Have the Triumph back rack which isn't fab if you just want to put something on that alone (it's sooo small) but is great if you want to strap a rucksack along the pillion seat and sticking over the end of the bike.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts