Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm considering trading the 2000 Daytona 955i for a Daytona 675, or maybe even Street Triple.

Has anyone had a 955 against a 675 on the street or track?

How do they compare with conering, straight line speed, etc?

I know the 675's are quite a bit lighter, but also have a fair bit less torque than the bigger 955.

Cheers,

Mat :)

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How so?

·
Registered
328 Posts
ill make it easy
675 lighter quicker less cmfortable
955 heavier less quick more comfortable

cant go wrong with either IMO.

if your looking for a razor sharp curve eating machine go with the 675. If your looking for a fun forgiving street bike that can hang with the best of them ( all depends on the rider of course) the 955 is your best bet.

all in all they are two different animals.

on the track with equal riders 675 wins hands down. better brakes better suspension and lighter.
straight line im not sure i would assume the 955 is going to have better top end, and would imagine they are pretty close in accelleration

·
Registered
311 Posts
Two completely different bikes! 955i is revamped late 90's technology liter bike. 675 is modern midweight class razor blade bike.
The 955i is comfortable enough to do some light sport touring on an plenty of power and great handling for the canyons. The 675 is a fighter jet for the canyons.
ask vffr1 here on the forum and he will tell you. he has both!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Being the owner of both I can attest that they are completely different beasts.

As everyone said, the 955 is a very comfortable bike (I tour on it) that can hustle but suffers from outdated breaks and suspension. A bit of cash can easily fix the suspension, brakes are bit more involved.

The 675 is a blast on twisty roads but the ergos are not forgiving. The occasional all day ride is the max for me (I'm 50 yo).

The 675 goes to the track. The 955 goes on tour. Short commutes are a toss up. If I just want to have a few hours of fun, the 675 generally is called into service. Need to get groceries... take the 955.

Perhaps if I was younger the 675 could be a great all round bike. Unfortunately I'm not so I've got both.

In a drag race the 675 might have an edge. In the twisties or on the track the 675 would blow the pants off a stock 955.

Advice: keep the 955 and buy the 675.

The speed triple is a third beast that I've seriously considered as a replacement to the 955 but I like the wind protection of the 955.

Now if Triumph creates a new comfortable liter sportbike, the 955 goes on the block.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Had an '05 955i. It was a great all round road bike. I put Heli Bars on mine. It was all day fun. The D675 is very fast, focused and takes more of a track bias than the big one. In fact the 675 demands an aggressive riding position most of the time. If you are sitting up and enjoying the view in a crosswind, you will feel it much more than on the 955. The 675 will ramp right up to go to jail speed as fast as anything and deals with highway speeds well. The 955 torque is so nice. The 955 has far better highway manners in all sorts of weather (except 50+ mph crosswinds!).If you are looking to ride more track, the 955 is not the way to go. It'll do it, but you'd be better off with a Jap four. 955 on the track can do pretty well but it is a point and shoot deal compared to the 675, which ask for smooth lines and more corner speed.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm surprised that you guys say the 675 is less comfortable, I thought it's be the opposite since the bike is smaller and the bars are closer to the rider. I haven't actually ridden one though, I probably should!

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I'm surprised that you guys say the 675 is less comfortable, I thought it's be the opposite since the bike is smaller and the bars are closer to the rider. I haven't actually ridden one though, I probably should!
I had Helis on the 955 and I have them on the 675. Comparing stock bars to each other, the 955 was surprisingly uncomfortable. The 675 was less "wristy" but no bargain around town. I do miss the hell out of the 955. If you are doing mostly street riding and can find a decent 955, it'd be a great bike. Either one has pros and cons but are great road bikes. If you do track days, the 675 is an easier job.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The 955i is a big, long-legged, torquey bike with generous and compliant suspension - that's why I've got one, for long-distance and all-weather riding. The 675 is a hard-edged track scalpel: fast and focussed but unforgiving and demanding of the rider. Hard suspension, revvy power delivery, cramped riding position... ride the two bikes, you'll soon see which is more comfortable. :)

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took a 675 for a bit of a spin today. It was a pity about the rain and the wet roads but I still had a great time.

I was surprised how quick the thing was! It really got up and moved. It did feel slightly less stable when cornering compared to my 955, but that could just be do to not being used to the 675.

I found it very comfortable though. Being only 5'10, it was nice not having to stretch so far to the bars, and the narrow tank was reasonably comfortable aswell.

I'm still not sure what I'll do though, I'm tempted to hang onto the 955 and do some track days on it.

·
Premium Member
24,407 Posts
I have ridden both the D 675 and D955 and own a '04 955 Daytona and SprintST.

In the dry on the road and fast.

I would say on the road in the hands of equal skill there would be nothing in it at all but......................

on a tight track the 675 would be quicker in transitions, especially esses, mostly because of it's light weight and torquey little mill.

I do not think there is a huge difference in technology, the D 675 is not a super advanced engine design IMHO.

Its main attribute for a tight track would be it's small size and low weight.

matress, the 675 isn't really less stable in corners but does feel more twitchy because of it's short wheelbase, light weight and steering rake.

I am 5' 10" too, but I am short legged with a long and thickset torso with long thick arms. (yes I know I just described some sort of Ape):p

For me the D 675 is too small and my arms are almost vertical when riding where as the longer stretch of the big D is better for me. The D 675 just felt too tiny for me and I look like a big lug sitting on one too.

I doubt there would be much in it in a straight line and I don't know what the little D's top end is but I bet it is just as fast as the big D.

My last smaller bike was an 1998 GSX R600 and it could top out at 265kph.

DaveM:cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.