Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

Just purchased a crashed 2005 Daytona 955 (front end damage), rebuilding everything, and one of the things I just noticed is the speedometer rev limit.
I bought a used speedometer from ebay from 2001 Daytona 955 that has 14'000 max RPM (a white background with 955i on it), but the old one apparently (as my brother noticed after I fitted the new used one) has 16'000 max RPM (a black background). I didn't really pay that much attention to max rpm, as I was focused on the pin layout and price, and also have seen the same black background speedometer with 14k max rpm.

First question - did they increase the rev limit? As I have read, max rpm is around 10'500 (and thus wouldnt reach neither 14k or 16k). But I might be wrong about this.
Second question - would the new speedo work correctly rpm wise? As I worry that the line spacing is probably different on them and while on one it would show 2000 rpm, on the other it would show 3000 rpm (as an example).
Maybe I just need to replace the background of the speedo?
Any info would be greatly appreciated
And yes, that ebay speedometer works, revs do show up.

Picture of old speedometer

Picture of the new speedometer

·
Registered
924 Posts
Correct unit has a sweep of 14000rpm and red line at 11500rpm. Daytona 955i '02 -04 had a white face tacho with 955 script in centre, '05 -06 models went to a black face with no script. The 16000rpm sweep unit is from one of the 600/650 four cylinder models. All will work and read correctly but of course the 600/650 item has an incorrect redline for the 955.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great!
Thanks a lot, guys!

I guess the previous owner had another crash where the bike wasnt listed for sale and changed the speedo. I just checked the MOT results for kilometers driven every 2 years (we can see that in Latvia), and there is a sudden increase from 50'000km to 80'000km (increase of 18.6k miles), but the guy averaged around 1000 km per 2 years..
Got to ask him that when I go buy the rear seat from him next month, maybe the bike has less kilometers/miles than it was showing previously.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts