Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm in away a new member to this Forum,
The issue I have with my Triumph Daytona 955i 2000 model is:-
Started the bike in the garage on the paddock stand to just check everything over, and forget that I drained the tank of fuel, bike started (must have been on minimum amount and vapour), then of course stop running!!
I realised that fuel was the issue (after a few goes at restarting) but then noticed:-
a) the Fuel Pump was constantly priming
b) Engine Management Light was on continually

So after a while I pulled in the clutch and pressed the starter & the bike started and ran (at first with a bit of a sputter) but then perfectly & rev's cleanly.

But I still have the problems of:-
a)the Fuel Pump constantly priming
b) Engine Management Light being continually on (even after 4 heat cycles)

Would I be correct (with out a diagnostic check) that the pump & fuel filter could be causing these issues.

Also just to throw another spanner in the works I removed the fuel pump relay, and the fuel pump still constantly primed, the bike started and ran perfectly??????

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
Pre-02 fuel pumps are switched in the ecu, no external relay for it.

I'm dealing with a variation of this problem, for me both the wiring and ecu check out. But the issue started when I added a heated vest harness to the battery. Currently, the bike runs fine, no 'mil' light. Matter of fact the 'mil' only comes on when I turn the vest on.

Changed ecu, and reprogrammed, no change.

I'll have it apart in a week or two for maintenance, going to dig deeper into the wiring then. Let you know if I find anything else.

·
Super Moderator
21,184 Posts
Assuming has std wiring and has not been modified, you are most likely looking at an ECU failure on the pump drive circuit.
Not as horrendous as might seem - ECU are quite cheap on EBay - generally very robust too with only a few failures of that pump or fan drive being vulnerable but chances more likely used one will be good than not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Further update to Fuel Pump Constantly Priming Issue.
MIL Light has gone off (after third continued heat cycle),
Reset fault codes,
Fault diagnostic (TuneECU) shows:-
P0230 FUEL PUMP RELAY DEFAULT
P1231 FUEL PUMP RELAY OPEN CIRCUIT OR SHORT TO GROUND

Do we still presume that this the ECU?
OR
That the fuel pump is the issue?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Bike has OEM wiring, only additions High Level tail pipe (MHP) and K&N filter.

So any model ECU as long as it's a Sagem MC1000 (S1000T3, T1291000).
Shame really as mine as only done 17,600 miles.:surprise:

Is there anyone who does repair these units? because at some point we'll run out of second hand ones!!!! as I intend to keep mine for many years more.

thanks Ken for your help (download of map still to do!).

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
The ECU is not repairable. I had to replace mine for my '98 Daytona which has less than 20K on it. For different reasons. At some point, old bikes with old FI systems will become stationary objects to admire, not to ride. Probably easier to keep a Daytona 1200 going than a 955i. I sometimes wish my T595 had carbs vs FI.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts