Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
tried to use search, but found nothing, this will be my first post in this forum :)

In spring I had problem - engine suddenly stopped, dashboard was completely dead, nothing worked except horn. Checked fuses, battery connection, etc, nothing helped, but after 30 min everything started to work and I forgot about this.

Yesterday I was driving in city and this problem occurred again, but this time it does not fix itself and nothing is working except horn (even parking lights does not work).

I start to check everything with tester, may be there is some typical cause for this problem?

Sorry for my English.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 2003. daytona with single side swingarm and "serial number 132513 and higher", it was made for UK market.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So with the ignition key on, nothing works except the horn? Have you measured the voltage at the battery with the bike on and off?

If everything is shutting off I would start looking at your grounds.
I checked the wiring diagram and as even parking lights does not work (they don't use main power relay), it seems like ignition switch problem.

Now I'll go to garage check it and later I'll informs about results.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello!

Forgot to write about end of this problem.

Few days latter the problem occurred again, I started to check wiring from ignition switch and found cause - in cable segment where wiring bends when handlebar moves, shortest cable near junction (close to the side fairing) was broken. Due to hi resistance, even insulation has melted.

Soldered new segment in this cable and now even speedometer works almost always :)

After than I think in long journeys spare cable and wiring diagram are "must have" :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts