Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone shed any light / share some thoughts.

My 2002 Daytona 955i CE ( 11,000 kms ) has got a very slight oil drip that seems to drip off the mount for the "stand down" sensor switch. I suspect it's coming from elsewhere and just rnning to there.

I have chcked the sump drain plug and the oil filter, no leaks evident.

Cant see any trail of oil when inspecting with a flashlight.

I was wondering about any poss seapage from a breather port elsewhere on the engine block. The amount of oil is small, but, it was enough to cause a drip, and the area ( the "stand down' switch mount ) is wet to the touch.

The bike does not use oil and is very clean normally. hence I spotted this on the floor.

Any ideas folks ?

Rich.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The shifter shaft or output shaft....... Maybe something else but those are the closest.

The sprocket cover comes off really fast, worth checking.

Might want to also spray the area really well and wipe it clean, then go ride for a short distance, come back, and watch it......

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
This is not a joke although you'd be forgiven if you thought so as this sounds incredulous:
It is not uncommon to have these engines leak through the cases - side-stand bolt threads is one location,; on mine it leaks through one of the sprocket cover threaded holes. Clean it up & use a sealant on the offending bolt/hole.
The neutral switch can also be a leak point, in the same area so definitely check that out.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yes, I went through the same thing on my 02.

It is the sidestand mounting bolt holes that are leaking.

Put your bike on a rear stand and remove your kickstand assembly. There is a plate that holds the sidestand switch that is sandwiched between the engine case and sidestand bracket. These bolt holes are rough and have no sealing surface between them and plate so they weep oil. Clean the area and use some high temp RTV between the mating surfaces and a bit on the threads of each bolt and reassemble. I used red RTV on mine and let it cure for 24 hours and no leak since.

It is an easy job. The hardest bit is getting the bolt out that is slightly obscured by the water pump housing.

Make sure you clean off all surfaces so they are oil free before putting the sealant on.

Good luck,
Edmund

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I went through the same thing on my 02.

It is the sidestand mounting bolt holes that are leaking.

Put your bike on a rear stand and remove your kickstand assembly. There is a plate that holds the sidestand switch that is sandwiched between the engine case and sidestand bracket. These bolt holes are rough and have no sealing surface between them and plate so they weep oil. Clean the area and use some high temp RTV between the mating surfaces and a bit on the threads of each bolt and reassemble. I used red RTV on mine and let it cure for 24 hours and no leak since.

It is an easy job. The hardest bit is getting the bolt out that is slightly obscured by the water pump housing.

Make sure you clean off all surfaces so they are oil free before putting the sealant on.

Good luck,
Edmund

Ah, makes sense. Hence i could find no other source of leakage.

Thanks very much to all.

I will get on it.

Thanks again folks. Fantastic to get such quick replys.

Regard
Richard.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just performed a late spring tune up on my '02 with almost 7K on the clock, and decided to look for the source of a similar leak that showed itself somewhere around the side stand... I removed the output shaft cover as it looked like there was all kinds of crap in there. I cleaned the bottom end really well, and without moving it from the stand started it up and let it idle up to temp, then shut it off.

I found at least three leaks:
1st one that i assume was making such a mess under the cover was seeping from the fixing (T-30 Torx head cap screw) that holds the keeper plate for the selector shaft (hidden in photo behind chain).I removed the chain cleaned everything and reinstalled it with high temp RTV between case, keeper plate and fixing.

I had some seepage from the bottom of the left crank cover as well, but didn't bother to pull it off since the lower three bolts were loose, I simply tightened them... as you can see the bike was laid over and took a light hit, those F$%*ing gas fittings failed on me and i slipped on my own spilling gas... i took it to the dealer to have new fittings installed, and have no idea if they ever checked the bolts (this was a while back).

And the last one was from a bolt in the sidestand mount... I had no clue how that could be leaking as it appeared to be closed but Pinballer's post clears that up. Crazy, who expects to have oil leaks from there!

Hopefully with the bolt tightening and RTV applied no more drips, but I discovered something a little more disconcerting than spots on my garage floor:

So when I drain my coolant; it was brown and had sludge in it! A sure sign oil is getting in the coolant too. The dealer supposedly changed it at the 2nd service interval, but I have no way to verify that so it could be 7 years old; either way I am pretty sure sludge has to be oil, not degradation of coolant or corrosion... Is there anyway the loose bolts in the crank cover allowed the oil to get into the coolant but not coolant into the oil? I am really hoping this is the case as the oil was fine with no traces of coolant so i am hoping I don't have any more severe issues. What do you think?

·
Registered
223 Posts
That is probably just sediment in the coolant. My 02 had tons of crap fly out when I flushed my system...a dark soupy goo. I flushed until the system came out clear and put in good coolant and no problems for thousands of miles.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
wilmar13, Excellant pics...for some reason my 28mm macro won't work on my digital Canon, but is fine with the film Canon!

Same as Pinballer for the '02 here...nasty, nasty stuff for coolant. The coolant in the overflow tank looked new so we weren't quite expecting what we saw. Flushed 'till clear, refilled w/50-50 coolant and all's good. BTW, I picked up BMW coolant for my '04 as it's roughly 2/3 the price. Need to mix with distilled water however.

Brad

·
Registered
45 Posts
Good to hear it is just bad coolant most likely... I have never seen coolant like that before so I assumed it must be oil in coolant, but since oil was clean that must be it... I found this forum googling for answers to how the hell I could be having an oil leak from my sidestand bolts and I am glad I did... thanks for the feedback guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts