Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Very little, but have a search of the forum: not much point to it aside from looks.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
167 Posts
The holes are already on the bottom of the crank case so it`s just a case of unbolting both ends of the link pipe which runs across the bottom of the engine and then bolting either side of the oil cooler to these holes.

It really couldn`t be easier as the speedy and daytona share the same bottom crank case.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Is it as simple as that? My tona is naked now, the oil cooler doesn't seem to be needed as the engine temp never breaks 25% on the gauge, and the cooler pipes are rubbing on the header. The header is pressing the lines up, and kinking the rubber at the cooler. Can I pick up a link pipe for an S3 and call it good?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Is it as simple as that? My tona is naked now, the oil cooler doesn't seem to be needed as the engine temp never breaks 25% on the gauge, and the cooler pipes are rubbing on the header. The header is pressing the lines up, and kinking the rubber at the cooler. Can I pick up a link pipe for an S3 and call it good?
Yes, now that your bike is naked it doesn't need the oil cooler as there is more airflow to the engine than with the fairing fitted.

The bikes in the Speed Triple race series were fitted with them but it is not needed on a road bike.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I was hoping to find a solution prior to springing a leak, thank you.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The only reason the Speed Triple challenge race bikes were retro fitted with oil coolers was due to the use of really high revs. Most of the race bikes also ran much lower gearing, rear sprockets of 47 teeth (standard was 43) and even 50 tooth resulted in engines bouncing of the rev limiter. More revs equals more heat hence the ned to fit oil coolers. Interestingly not all the race bikes were fitted with oil coolers.
David

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
IIRC, there were two different sumps: one that needs a link pipe and one that just needs the holes plugged. (Though I don't see the harm in putting a link pipe on the latter.)

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Daytona 900 1995 model and trying to remove the oil cooler to convert into a speed triple. I am trying to find a link pipe that will fit as mine has 14mm banjo bolts I have been searching and cant find anything, the diagrams I have found have 6mm bolts can anybody tell me a model link pipe that will fit or do I have to get one made? Does it even need a link pipe?

·
Registered
173 Posts
The fitment is a simple job. If you have a yoshi downtube, you'll have to drill some more holes in the side of the bracket to move the carrier forward, so it doesn't hit the exhaust.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I fitted an oil cooler to my SP3 - done a couple of trackdays on it and it DOES get hot when pushed hard, the additional cooling does help. I've also had it getting very hot when pushed hard on the road (mountains in France & riding through Wales).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts