Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

i'm a realtive newb to biking and my daytona so i thought id try some advice from the experts!
Ive just got my bike out after it was on my oxford battery exerciser(8weeks or so). It started first time but the engine warning light is on permanent! Any suggestions before i get it too my dealer. I was about to takl it out for a spin as i have a dry road( not common in the NW england) to get some oil and chain cleaner for over the winter.

regards...Andy

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Hello Andy,

The light could be any number of things. If the bike is running OK when you start it, it probably is something minor. Try starting the bike about four times, each time turning it off by the key, not the kill switch, in between starts.

3 or 4 cycles will clear minor lights if there is nothing major wrong. If the light doesn't go away, and you don't have TuneBoy software that you can hook up to the bike to diagnose the source of the warning light, I would get it to the dealer straight away to be sure that it isn't something serious.

One of the common problems with the Daytona 675 is the Exup Valve being out of adjustment (it is a valve in the exhaust that controls back pressure in the exhaust and increases low rpm torque). My guess is that is the problem, but it could also be many other things.

Good luck with the fix. Post up and let us know what it was.

Welcome to 675 Ownership and our Triumph Community here on TriumphRAT.net!

Jeff

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the prompt reply! I will give it a go and report back, got the same advice from my local dealer, hopefully i will give it a run later today as soon as the current Mrs Andykb arrives home. If it doesnt clear ill get it booked in and report back....cheers...Andy

·
Registered
5 Posts
You may also try disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting before start up. This worked on my buddy's 955 Sprint. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Tried the switching on and off it didnty work and i didnt get chance to get out yesterday but will defo today and i will report back.

Superbik onto your post....
This may sound a little daft but should i be connecting my maximiser while the battery is still connected to the bike? Or should the battery be disconnected totally from the bike while im maximising it?

If i do disconnect the battery how long should i leave it off for? 1-2 hours? Will anything happen to my datatool alarm?

Sorry about all the questions.........Andy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Problably an exup valve fault if you have high miles. I have been fighting warning lights ever since I bought my bike, but it has never let me down. I like to call it character.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Defo exup valve i was talked through checking it by Phil Youles in B-Burn, its very stiff got it booked in under warranty on the 10th Jan.

thanks for all the help...Andy

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Pretty simple fix for the dealer, so you should be good to go after the repair...

Glad it was something that simple...

TripleThreat

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just reporting back after my dealer visit. EXUP valve was at fault. ECU error light cleared and valve checked over. In and out in an hour plenty free coffee credit to the dealer. Phil Youles Balckburn England.....Andy

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Glad it all worked out Andy. Keep en eye on the cables and keep some cable lube on them. They get hot from the exhaust, drying out the lube, and have a tendency to get a little road grime thrown on them. Keeping them clean and lubed should help prevent this problem from reoccurring.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Glad it all worked out Andy. Keep en eye on the cables and keep some cable lube on them. They get hot from the exhaust, drying out the lube, and have a tendency to get a little road grime thrown on them. Keeping them clean and lubed should help prevent this problem from reoccurring.

Jeff
Great advise. Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts