Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By any chance would a Daytona 600 gas tank fit on a Speed Four if the sub frames were swapped? Reason for asking is I like the D600 tail section but I don't want an edgy tail piece and a rounded everything else. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
172 Posts
yes, the tank will fit, but you will need more Daytona parts than you would think. You will need the following: tank, subframe, undertray, tail section, tail light and seats. You will also need a Daytona 600 battery which is different than the S4 and you may need to modify the wiring harness to fit (ask Chrisjames - he would know). it is a good amount of work, but worth it if you like the look and if you can find the parts at a good price.

jeff h

·
Registered
98 Posts
yes, the tank will fit, but you will need more Daytona parts than you would think. You will need the following: tank, subframe, undertray, tail section, tail light and seats. You will also need a Daytona 600 battery which is different than the S4 and you may need to modify the wiring harness to fit (ask Chrisjames - he would know). it is a good amount of work, but worth it if you like the look and if you can find the parts at a good price.

jeff h
Serious question:
How does/can the battery differ?

·
Registered
98 Posts
the battery on the S4/TT600 is a YTX12-BS while the Daytona 600/650 battery is a YTX9-BS. S4/TT600 sits upright while the Daytona 600/650 lays sideways.
from the Yuasa batteries site (http://www.yuasabatteries.com/vehicle_search.asp):
YTX12-BS Dimensions: 6" x 3.4375" x 5.125"
YTX9-BS Dimensions: 6" x 3.4375" x 4.1875"
If that's it, then I bet the S4/TT600 battery could be coerced into the undertray. The only electrical component that would be changed in the swap would be the tail light and the turn signals. I have an S4 and just took the plastics off the tail when they got battered. I bought a D600 tail light which is just screwed into the back. I don't know if changing the gas tank would change anything electrically, but just the tail and its plastics shouldn't require a change of wiring harness.

·
Registered
172 Posts
but just the tail and its plastics shouldn't require a change of wiring harness.
i was never trying to imply that the wiring harness needed to be changed. what i was attempting to say is that the leads to the battery may need to be lengthened, depending on how the battery is situated. i tell you this because i know that the TT600/S4 and the D600 wiring harnesses are completely different. it was challenging to say the least to fit the D650 harness onto my S4. i almost gave up and put the Daytona subframe and plastics on, but with some luck and help from a good friend/extraordinary mechanic the D650 harness was made to work.

The bikes look very similar, but the components were not designed to be interchangeable.

Jeff H.

·
Registered
146 Posts
we live in the same town, and I like being different so lets keep it that way. :D

·
Registered
907 Posts
he didn't.

both of you STFU!

there is only one FuryFour :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts