Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys and gals,

bought a Daytona 600 with 10.000 KM last week. Rode the first 1000 KM the last days.

I'm very happy with the new bike (switched from a SV650S). I only have one Issue. It happens to me some times that i have troubles switching from the 4th to the 5th gear. When this happens the engine's revs go up to 14 to 15 thousand. I have to pull the clutch again and select the gear again.

I have no clue if it's only me and a sloppy usage of the clutch. I've read that the gearbox of the daytona 600 is not the finest.

I get a 10.000 KM Service from my vendor next week (was included in the selling price), maybe someone experienced the same issue and can give me some hint.

I got a 1 year warranty on the bike and the bike store checked the whole bike before they sold it to me. According to them the bike is in perfect condition .. as mentioned above maybe it's only me.

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Super Moderator
8,937 Posts
The bike doesn't have very many miles on it for a Triumph. Triumphs take a while to completely break in, so that's part of it. If the oil is aging poorly, that's another part of it. You have to be definite about shifting, so there's that, too. If you just bang the lever when you pull in the clutch, it may just bounce off the next gear and hit a false neutral. Not good! If you preload the lever lightly with your toe like you would shifting without the clutch, it's going to help a whole lot in getting the kind of positive shift you are looking for. The last thing is the configuration of the shift linkage. If the lever is attached directly to the spindle without a linkage, this doesn't apply, but enough bikes have been modified to include a linkage it's worth checking. If the fitting which attaches the linkage to the spindle isn't installed so the linkage is at a ninety degree angle to the fitting, you will get less positive shifts and they will be heavier as well, since you will get less movement and leverage at the fitting from the same amount of movement of your foot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

for the quick answer, i'm pretty sure it's my sloppy usage of the clutch. I got pretty used to it riding the SV650. I will have an eye on the tipps you gave me. This "false neutral" happened to me about 5 to 6 times now. I hope this does not harm the engine :(.

Stefan

·
Registered
440 Posts
I used to have that 4-5 issue happen to me too but not so much recently. In fact I've only had it happen to me one in the past year. Not really sure what to say about why it happens, but your theory may be right about the sloppy shifting. I have a feeling when it happens to me I don't pull the clutch lever in enough so it gets kinda stuck between gears or something.

·
Registered
202 Posts
This has been a question twice this week on another forum.

The general consensus is that it's riding the gear lever or a non-positive gear change action.
As this is the third question on the subject recently, I wonder if it's weather/temp related?

·
Super Moderator
8,937 Posts
I doubt weather or temperature have much to do with it, since the conditions inside the engine are governed more by whether you are stuck in traffic or not. You don't have to pull the clutch all the way in, but you do have to time the clutch and shift well. If you are too ginger about shifting, you will have just as much problem as if you shift like an elephant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts