Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a little problem that I could use some advice on. Upon returning from a little 140 mile ride today I noticed my right fork was bleeding!!! I had noticed it getting soft during the ride so I took it easy.

It is almost Christmas so I guess my baby needs a present too!

I have read that the forks on this bike (99 Daytona 1200 SP) can be upgraded, so I need some opinions on what is the best way to go.

Also, while she is down thought I might make some other upgrades and adjustments.

Front Brake pads - is there anything other than Triumph for these brakes?

Carbs - Is there anything that can be changed to make a little more power ?

Valves need adjusting, so while I have that apart if there is anything to make her run better I would like to know?

I plan on doing a complete once over as well and removing any useless weight while I am at it.

Any performance upgrades???

Thanks!

David

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
There are many upgrades that can be done. It all depends on how much money you want to spend.....

Unfortunately, there are only a few modification to do that are inexpensive.

Forks: Suspension upgrades are the best money spent on these bikes. I have yet to do my forks, but the difference after having an Ohlins rear shock set up for me and installed is tremendous! Well worth the money IMHO.
I have also purchased a set of Ohlins springs for the forks as well as a set of RaceTech gold valves. The plan has been to have them done over the winter but I have yet to send them off. If the end result is anywhere near as good as the rear shock I will be thrilled.

Brakes: If you have the standard Triumph front calipers, get on Ebay and search for a set of Tokico 6 pot calipers from a mid nineties GSXR or ZX7. Also try to get the master cylinder. This is a very inexpensive upgrade for your brakes. I have picked up a couple of sets for less than $75.00 each.

Connect the calipers and the master to your stock stainless lines, bleed the crap out of them and they will work great!

Carbs: You may want to look at the thread that Trypcil posted about FCSRs. He likes 'em, I like 'em, I think you'll like 'em too! IIRC, a set of FCSRs will run you just over $1200.00 for a set of four.

As for performance upgrades....
I'm sure you are all tired of hearing me talk about it, but you can install a set of 955 sleeves and cylinders and get just under 1300 cc's and much better performance from them. SouthBay did this to my Super III and I talked to them about doing it to my 1200 which at the time was owned by DietDrThunder. Matt Capri and his engine builder Wade Wilcox assured me that it would be no more difficult to do than on the Super III..... and would be a screamer. The 1200 is pretty strong as it is. I can't imagine it with a big bore kit in it.

[ This message was edited by: Hinckley on 2004-12-22 04:05 ]

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Hinkley!

My bike came with the 6 pot brakes that are found on the Super III. I was mainly asking about the pads for those brakes.

Do you have the part # for the Ohlins, front and back, that purchased?

Great Info!

Thanks again!

David

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Ahhh Yesss, had I taken the time to look at your ride list I would have known you had the Alcons.
So far I have yet to change the pads on my Super III (although it will probably happen this coming season)and my 1200 has the Tokicos shown above.

The rear shock is a TR 533 with a 910lb spring for my weight.
The front is 08832-01 Fork spring kit.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
On 2004-12-22 03:57, Hinckley wrote:I'm sure you are all tired of hearing me talk about it, but you can install a set of 955 sleeves and cylinders and get just under 1300 cc's and much better performance from them. SouthBay did this to my Super III and I talked to them about doing it to my 1200 which at the time was owned by DietDrThunder. Matt Capri and his engine builder Wade Wilcox assured me that it would be no more difficult to do than on the Super III..... and would be a screamer. The 1200 is pretty strong as it is. I can't imagine it with a big bore kit in it.
I actually talked to a guy who has done the machine work for this mod since last we talked Tim, and he says that the bigborte thing won't work on the 1200. He said that there isn't enough meat on the cases to bore them, unlike the triple.

I'd make extra-double sure it really can be done before undertaking it.

And ya, you'll get yer shock...I know, I suck :)

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
On 2004-12-22 03:57, Hinckley wrote:I'm sure you are all tired of hearing me talk about it, but you can install a set of 955 sleeves and cylinders and get just under 1300 cc's and much better performance from them. SouthBay did this to my Super III and I talked to them about doing it to my 1200 which at the time was owned by DietDrThunder. Matt Capri and his engine builder Wade Wilcox assured me that it would be no more difficult to do than on the Super III..... and would be a screamer. The 1200 is pretty strong as it is. I can't imagine it with a big bore kit in it.
I actually talked to a guy who has done the machine work for this mod since last we talked Tim, and he says that the bigborte thing won't work on the 1200. He said that there isn't enough meat on the cases to bore them, unlike the triple.

I'd make extra-double sure it really can be done before undertaking it.

And ya, you'll get yer shock...I know, I suck :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got back from the Triumph Dealer riding what felt like a brand new bike, better than new!!! I had the forks completely rebuilt with the Race Tech gold valves and springs, the difference is unbelievable. I swear the bike feels 2”s shorter when hitting the twisties!!! I ride my son’s 04 R6 often and I like what I have a lot better now. Plus it seems to break better as well!!!

If you have a 900/1200 Daytona do this ASAP!!! You will never smile so much spending money that your wife is going to kick your butt for!!! (mine was ok with it , but she is into bikes also)

K&N filter went on as well, carbs synced (had a broken cap?) and valves looked at (they were fine)! She screams well again. No real gain in HP or torque (seat of the pants dyno), but it feels like someone put a little moonshine in that old locomotive. Seems to build power faster. I talked with the service manager and he said I would not be happy with a jet kit unless I was going drag racing, so I skipped it.

Next on my list is the rear Ohlin, already priced one for $749. Now just have to save up!!! If it makes the difference that the fork rebuild did, I am going to be one very happy camper!

The weather is going to messy this weekend, maybe even some snow. So I guess I will need to sneak a ride in Friday. This just got real fun all over again!!!

David
:-D

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
On 2005-01-20 15:43, 99d12 wrote:

Next on my list is the rear Ohlin, already priced one for $749. Now just have to save up!!! If it makes the difference that the fork rebuild did, I am going to be one very happy camper!

David
:-D
You will be just as thrilled with this mod as the forks! The Ohlins set up for your specific weight will transform the handling that much again.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
For reference for anyone on a budget, 1/2 or 3/4 pvc spacer on top of stock springs from Home depot/Lowes etc... 15 or 20 weight oil to air gap, adjust static sag and bang - Upgraded! Or 1kg springs from source of preference, cut spacer to size and oil - 15 wt probably and adjust static sag and bang again - Upgraded! All for at the most under $175, thats what the Speed challenge guys did on the old T300 forks - it works! Then try raising the forks 1/2 -3/4 inch for quicker steering. :-D

G

·
0 Posts
Trypcil,

I want to learn more about these front fork modifications. How about a more detailed explanation - when you have time of course.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts