Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mi bike makes a noise, which sounds kind of like a wind roar more than anything directly mechanical/metal on metal. Some info -

37k miles D12. First Triumph. Not sure if it was always there and I've just started to notice it... Normally concentrating had on not being killed by death on the commute.
Been riding without any kind of fairing. Recently added the top back. No change. Comes from forward of me, i.e. engine, fairing, rad etc etc.

The noise is not there at tickover.

It isn't there when giving the throttle a good blip, while stationary. Haven't tried holding say 3k revs while stationary though.

It is there at low speeds, carries on until stopping at lights etc, when it goes. e.g. coming down from 40 to zero, the noise is there till we draw to a halt.
It's there when cruising low speeds.
At higher speeds wind noise takes over so can't tell if it's there or not.

It doesn't seem like wind noise as it's there at say 5mph just before drawing to a stop, though guess it could be.

Whaddya think?? Anyone recognise anything out of that blurb up there?!
Cheers folks.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Not sure what else it could be unless something with the front wheel is rubbing, say the tire vs front fender for some strange reason.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Total guess: chain rubbing strip worn out?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the thoughts, will check that out.
Not 100% sure but it seems to come from the upper fairing area roughly. I'm tying down things like bits of trim panel etc, bit by bit, in case of them is the cause.
At the wkend I'll do a lidless ride up a local empty lane, see if that points to anything.

Yesterday while cruising on 2k rpm I dipped the clutch and hit it to 4k, the noise was constant. And it's not there at tickover. Seems not to be engine related/expensive. Hope so, anyway...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts