Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys i have noticed some of you guys have center stands are they retofit? if so are they easy to install? and lastly where do i get one from?

·
Registered
826 Posts
they are standard fitment on most models, but some were taken off due to "weight saving" which doesnt make much sense on a bike that weighs this much anyway......
but yes, even if you model doesnt have it fitted as standard, it can be retro fitted, as all the monts should be there, just ring a breaker and ask them to send you everything you need to fit a center stand to a t3

·
Registered
29 Posts
1200 centre stand

I retro fitted one to mine, pretty simple job actually. Got the grab rail fitted as well. But once all in place just could not heave the beast onto the stand. It was almost like the stand was slightly too long and so couldn't get centre of gravity over the pivot point.
99% sure it is the correct stand, and had others take a look at it too.

Anyone with any ideas??

Cheers, Rich

·
Registered
582 Posts
Took mine off

I took mine off - not to save weight coz as Daytona 750 says its a bit pointless on a bike this heavy - I had fitted Daytona exhausts to my Trophy and the stand liked to bounce against it plus it is a pain to get up on the stand if you haven't got it just right - bit of a knack to it. So now if I need the bike upright or the back wheel off the ground I use a padock stand. Means I have a centre stand plus lifting handle sitting in my shed...

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
If you have anything but standard pipes, you'll need to double check that you have room for the center stand. Some of the 3-1 aftermarket headers block off the center stand option (and the oil filter, believe it or not). Sebring/Triumph accessory parts are supposed to allow stands to fit.

·
Registered
826 Posts
there certainly is a knack to it!
i will try and word it as best i can:

left hand on left bar, right hand on left side of grab rail.
right foot on centerstand.
instead of trying to push the stand down, try to just use the stand to hold the bike upright, and lift with the grab rail, and pull back on the bar.
i think thats how i do it.
i will try and get the mrs to video me doing it tomoro, and post it up.
it really is very easy once you have the knack!

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
I retro fitted one to mine, pretty simple job actually. Got the grab rail fitted as well. But once all in place just could not heave the beast onto the stand. It was almost like the stand was slightly too long and so couldn't get centre of gravity over the pivot point.
99% sure it is the correct stand, and had others take a look at it too.

Anyone with any ideas??

Cheers, Rich
If you got stand from a breaker, it will need to be for a Triumph with 17" rear wheel. Tridents, early Trophy, early Sprint had 18" rear, thus the pending hernia if you have that stand on a 550+ lb. Daytona 12.:YellowWow: I think the early Trophy had 18" before '95 US imports - all US had 17"? Plain Sprint 900 has 18" I think, tho the Exec and Sport are all 17".

I looked in my spares/junk box and I have a center stand I think from each (Trident 18" & Trophy 17"). The Trident's stand is about 10" from the pivot point to the foot by my rough estimate, and the other 9.5" (I guess that makes sense from a geometry perspective) :) If you inadvertently fit a center stand for an 18" rear Triumph on a 17" Daytona 1200, you'll probably need to begin sourcing a truss soon.

My Trident goes up on the center stand with little fuss but its 30 pounds lighter than a D12.

Most stands have the part number on the top of the foot after you scrape the grunge off so you can look it up and be sure.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The plot thickens

DJW

That is a top answer - thanks.
However, I have a 93 D12, which has an 18" rear and 17" front.
Have measured my stand, and I reckon it is 10" from top to bottom, but 9.5" from centre of pivot to foot! It has 09/96 on the foot so perhaps it is the wrong version.
I shall try and source a shorter one (anyone?) and report back.

Cheers

Rich

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
DJW

That is a top answer - thanks.
However, I have a 93 D12, which has an 18" rear and 17" front.
Have measured my stand, and I reckon it is 10" from top to bottom, but 9.5" from centre of pivot to foot! It has 09/96 on the foot so perhaps it is the wrong version.
I shall try and source a shorter one (anyone?) and report back.

Cheers

Rich
It certainly seems like you have the shorter of the stands. No idea why it would be impossible to raise unless the ride height as settled over the years. I doubt there is a shorter version to be had.

Mebbe Trev at Sprint Manufacturing is worth calling - he has a bunch of stands for T3 and has been helpful in the past to sorting issues out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Cheers DJW,

Trying to remember if I got the stand from Sprint in first place, certainly got the grab handle from them.
Will give them a call and report back on findings

Rich

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sprint do a stand kit for the D12, easy peezy lemon squeezy.

As for hauling the big guy up on the stand, I use handlebar and the pillion footrest on the D12. Works a treat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts