Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just ordered the Triumph spark plug spanner, €17.03 and went mad and purchased the 12mm allen key too for and extra €3.81, last of the big spenders! The Triumph dealer is only 20 minutes away so no postage costs as they are ordering up from Triumph several times a week. Yes, the four cylinders is a +ve for spark plug access but a -ve for another four valve measurements and possible shim replacements.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got the four spark plugs out, two different types, neither were the correct ones. Valve clearances measured, six need doing out of the sixteen, one set of inlet valves were quite poor with one less than 0.05mm and another at 0.07mm. I'm using the Triumph valve shim tool to get the shims out to find out what size they are before ordering up replacement shims, slow going not taking the camshaft out but I'll run with it. My feeler gauges don't go lower than 0.05mm so waiting on a new set to arrive to get a more accurate measurement on that tight inlet, my guess is somewhere between 0.003 and 0.004mm. Who knows what that gap is when this thing is up to temperature, glad I measured them now. These clearances were supposedly done at a dealer less than 4,000 miles ago, albeit many years ago, I think not.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts