Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Can anybody please tell me what the copper pipe on the outside of the carb does, it is the pipe aprox 4" long connected from the top down to the bowl on the bottom pushed into the aluminium, as mine has broken and i can't get a replacement from our local triumph dealer, it looks like it may be just an overflow pipe?.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I looked in my Haynes shop manual and at the diagrams at Bike Bandit. This tube that you are writing about is not described in either of these sources, so I can't say what it is.

Below is the Bike Bandit web page with the diagram of the carb. Maybe Drakewn can use this to confirm if this tube is the bowl vent. Also photo from this web page.

http://www.bikebandit.com/triumph-motorcycle-daytona-1995/o/m17529

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Kevin, I've circled the item in which I believe you are talking about in this pic I've attached (thanks for the pic JohnD). If it is then I'm pretty sure it's the bowl vent, but it'll be easier for you to take a look and see if it goes from inside the float bowl up to the intake of the carb. I would take it to a plumber or pipe-fitter perhaps to see if it can be soldered. I reckon if a guy tried to remove the tube, he may damage the body in the process.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks lads, yes thats the pipe, i have managed to remove it from the carb, it was easy to remove both the broken bit in the carb and the other part, i don't think it would be possible to repair as the bore is so small, if it's just a vent would i be able to attach a piece of tube and vent it out behind the engine? (keeping everything away from any heat sorce)

·
Registered
295 Posts
No, don't vent it out to atmosphere in case some fuel comes out, you'll catch on fire. You will need to attach that hose to both spots, if it's possible at all. My advice would be to get it repaired by a professional.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Kevin,
From memory that small pipe has an important role by linking and allowing air pressures to equalize within the carburetor while operating. With this tube absent or altered I would suggest you may have issues. Drakewn is right in being cautious about you venting this to atmosphere as a fuel spill is entirely possible, and it will run crap, and there may be damage to the body of the carburetor as well. Also this is something that will seriously affect your ability to tune the bike correctly if it cannot be repaired properly. A consideration in the repair would be ensuring the link pipe is exactly the same diameter and length. I would bet that little pipe was a carefully calibrated length and diameter and too long to have been cast into the body of the carburetor thus requiring it to be routed externally.
Good luck with your repair, but IMHO it is more likely necessary to get a replacement used carburetor in good serviceable condition, then give all the carbs a freshen up with an overhaul kit, refit and tune and know its spot on. ;)
Cheers Bernie

·
Banned
141 Posts
ive got a extra rack of carbs, if you are in need of this part let me know i can pull it off, and you will be able to save some cash. just let me know, come to think of it i have 7 carbs a 3 rack and a 4 rack, so im sure i can spare 1. and i agree with the rest of what has been said , because ive cracked one of those my self and it will dump a good bit of gas out. ... i do know it has to be pressed in, so you might need the whole body. unless you can find some with the right set up to press it in . it has avery small flange on it. .. i did it by cutting a slot in a small long socket. one just big enough to fit over the tupe and hit the flange, then used the vise to push it in,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That would be great if you can send the part or even a carb (i have been searching for one with no success) if you can let me know the cost of part and postage. thanks Kevin.

·
Banned
141 Posts
let me know if you still are in need of a carb,if so ill strip one down and get you a price.need your area code to get shipping quote
That would be great if you can send the part or even a carb (i have been searching for one with no success) if you can let me know the cost of part and postage. thanks Kevin.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts