Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 1980 CB650C in resto
17,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's my day off, I had a long week (yes, in four days), and a rather trying night last night. So the road called. It was calling my friend too, and his 675. There were a few tasks to complete, so it was 10:00 before we hit the road. No harm done, though; just gave it time to warm up a bit more. It was warm enough that I was in my middle-weight jacket and gloves. They were comfortable all day.

The ride started off really well. It never changed. We saw a lot of police on the way to Albuquerque, but we were careful. There were a lot of riders out.

There was some traffic, but not too much. We managed to be clear of it for the good parts. You can see my friend right and the end of the visible road in the picture below, if you look closely.

Madrid doesn't look quite like it did in Wild Hogs, but it is an interesting little town.

·
Premium Member
17,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The diner.

South of Madrid, the road were even clearer all the way to Albuquerque.

After lunch in Albuquerque (no we didn't know the Monster rider),

We pressed on southward toward Mountainair, Socorro, and the Very Large Array. Free soda refills mean the occasional stop, when you finally find some trees.

I really like this photo.

·
Premium Member
17,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As we walked back to the bikes, a group of riders went by. One of them stopped to tell us about a state trooper watching the road down by Mountainair. Here are his friends waiting for him.

We never did see the policeman. Mountainair, naturally, is in the open plains. So much for truth in town naming. We couldn't decide if the flaking stucco was real, or if it was all painted to look like there were bricks underneath.

The road curved a bit for several miles west of Mountainair. Then it straightened out.

I mean really straight.

·
Premium Member
17,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When we hit I-25, it was too late to head over to the Very Large Array. Another photo op that will have to wait.

We hit some heavy traffic in Albuquerque. Mr. 675 and I got split up, so I was on my own for the rest of the way home. I stopped in Santa Fe for some oil to finish my new staff. The sun behind the clouds at the mall begged for a photo.

The sun was setting as I headed north out of Santa Fe. I've always loved this spot on the road out of Santa Fe. The light was perfect when I went by, so I had to stop.

The sun had pretty much set by the time I got home, but it made a show of the process.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Great pics and report!

Man, I've got to go to NM again. Curves or straights, mountain or plane air, it's definitely a terrific place to ride. Kudos to you and Mr. 675!

·
30,525 Posts
Brilliant. I do believe a winter motorcycling vacation in NM may be on the cards for Jan / Feb 2010.

Good stuff, excellent pictures!

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Excellnt photos! Man, we do not see stuff like that in New Jersey!!! We see New Jersey stuff, and believe me - a lot of it ain't pretty, ain't pretty at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts