Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arrow Slip Ons. Dealer says he did a tune.

I like the 2008 S3's overrun with the stock cans; one of the reasons I bought the bike. And while I like the slip ons' sound and lack of weight I think the overrun popping is getting to me.

I'm not willing to do the whole SIA or AI or whatever it's called.

Old posts on this forum say with the db killers out for the Arrow 3-2 slip on it runs rich....but I have no soot collection and the bike doesn't "puke" like it's running rich. Tomorrow I will do a free rev at different rpm to see if I have tach wavering which would indicate a lean condition, but without pulling plugs - and trusting my dealer did in fact do a map for the Arrow slip ons - is my best bet to put back in the db killer for both a slightly quieter ride with no performance loss (true, not true?) and less popping?

·
Registered
373 Posts
If you really want to get rid of that beautiful sounding backfire, then you really have to block off the SAI. I don't understand why you refuse to do it.

Exotic cars have that SAI built in to reduce emissions. Italians are particularly good at engineering systems that shoot flames out the exhaust. I used to just retard the timing on my car to do that for fun. :p

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Admittedly because I'm new to the S3...and would like a little bit of overrun like the stock canned bike had.

I guess my main concern is having the wrong tune and being too lean.

If you really want to get rid of that beautiful sounding backfire, then you really have to block off the SAI. I don't understand why you refuse to do it.

Exotic cars have that SAI built in to reduce emissions. Italians are particularly good at engineering systems that shoot flames out the exhaust. I used to just retard the timing on my car to do that for fun. :p

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Old posts on this forum say with the db killers out for the Arrow 3-2 slip on it runs rich....
I doubt that. On closed throttle the 3-2 factory tune is very lean. This combined with SAI explains the popping.

Rich running EFI bike will not have afterburn. Lean will.

is my best bet to put back in the db killer for both a slightly quieter ride with no performance loss (true, not true?) and less popping?
Performance loss as with baffles Arrow duals flow as bad as stock cans. So you would negate all benefit from the cans.

Less popping too, but blocking SAI and installing non-SAI tune at dealer will reduce most of it and you get to keep the better flow on the upper rev range.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I have the dual Arrows and all I get is a nice burbble on over run. My last tune it popped a great deal more than it does now but durring my 12000 mile service the dealer mentioned there was a new tune available for my 2007 and I had him install it. It's perfect now.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Then I will keep them OUT.

I doubt that. On closed throttle the 3-2 factory tune is very lean. This combined with SAI explains the popping.

Rich running EFI bike will not have afterburn. Lean will.

Performance loss as with baffles Arrow duals flow as bad as stock cans. So you would negate all benefit from the cans.

Less popping too, but blocking SAI and installing non-SAI tune at dealer will reduce most of it and you get to keep the better flow on the upper rev range.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts