Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just came across these. http://retrobikegear.com puddin bowls and they come with aviator goggles. The prices are decent and they look really cool.
DC

·
Registered
66 Posts
They're redistributing JPHelmet gear.

Chinese manufacture; and you can get them cheaper on eBay (search "jp helmet"). They *are* DOT though and look pretty cool. Hard to miss at that price - I just wouldn't count on any margin of safety.

[CORRECTION] According to the seller, these *aren't* the cheapo-Chinese manufacture helmets, but Japanese-made.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
If they're JPs they're pretty good . I compared one to my Davida pudding bowl on a ride . It was actually more quiet and was as comfortable as the Davida . The Davida is made of better stuff but for the money you can't beat the JPs . But the goggles that come with them are crap. But still......They're a great helmet and better than the HCI-50s .

·
Registered
104 Posts
According to the site these are NOT DOT helmets. I would just get a Fulmer. They are DOT, not nearly as huge as the Davida Jet, and cost like 90 bucks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
According to the site these are NOT DOT helmets. I would just get a Fulmer. They are DOT, not nearly as huge as the Davida Jet, and cost like 90 bucks.
Yeah I just picked up a Fulmer, its light pretty comfortable and surprisingly quiet.

·
Registered
104 Posts
yeah I have a white one. Nothing more classic than that I think!

They make these crazy bubble visors now too which are cool. Tho I go no peak, no visor. When I'm not full-face, that is . . .

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a Davida pudding bowl helmet and I was wondering if they actually offer any protection. They look like they are high quality manufacture. Also it's very noisy. I usually use ear plugs when I wear it. Is this a normal thing or do I need to work on the fit? Do the JP helmets look thicker or do they fit like a Davida?Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Davida pudding bowls as you call em, are not realy great protection. Better than nothing but not much. Back in the 1930s Cork lined aluminium or fibreglass helmets with webbing strap liners were high tech personal protection, but here in the UK many roads were still dirt, and cars were a relative rarity. Bikes also had nothing like the performance. Now I'd happily wear one on a pootle round on a veteran motorcycle. But for a spirited ride on modern roads go for aty least an open face or 3 quarter helmet.

Davidas are made to a very high standard and the webbing means the size is adjustable. But they are pricey as they are true replicas of old helmets. Those JPs look the buisness for a veteran rider. Are cheaper but I doubt they offer any more protection. Again if I can get one to fit I'd wear one for a pootle round on realy old stuff. But not for a serious ride.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Davida Style Helmets

Hello Nickwiz,
Thanks for the reply. Good advice. I agree. The Davida helmet really looks cool,but, with the performance available today and the roads (not to mention car drivers), a serious helmet is needed. Cheers.:p

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Some will say a Full face is a must. Personaly I'm not sure. Most of the time I wear a 3 quarter style. My Full face gets used for touring as you never know when its going to chuck it down and full face is more comfortable in that case. Definately a full face protects the facial area better but the other night I was discussing this with my retired doctor, father in law who reckons the extra weight of a full face can sometimes transfer injuries from the face to the spine! I'd rather be walking and ugly than pretty and paralized. Thats a personal take. Neither the FF adherants nor me are absolutley right. Its personal preferance. But a 3 quarter or a FF are better than period costume. Though Period costume is what I'll be wearing this year on the Banbury run this year.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Davida Style Helmets

That's a good point. The full face are definitely heavier. I have also read that some of the air vents and things that protrude from a helmet can contribute to injuries as well. I wear a FF Shoei most of the time but I think an open face or 3/4 might be a good alternative. Have you heard anything about Biltwell helmets?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Some will say a Full face is a must. Personaly I'm not sure. Most of the time I wear a 3 quarter style. My Full face gets used for touring as you never know when its going to chuck it down and full face is more comfortable in that case. Definately a full face protects the facial area better but the other night I was discussing this with my retired doctor, father in law who reckons the extra weight of a full face can sometimes transfer injuries from the face to the spine! I'd rather be walking and ugly than pretty and paralized. Thats a personal take. Neither the FF adherants nor me are absolutley right. Its personal preferance. But a 3 quarter or a FF are better than period costume. Though Period costume is what I'll be wearing this year on the Banbury run this year.
True in most cases . Especially if you plan to ride like a twat . :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
i think this just starts the age old argument of full vs 3/4 ... i have also read that chin injuries are also very common ... still new to all this ... so have a full face ... but frankly full face don't look right on a thrux or bonnie

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Bottom line? Wear what your happy with but wear something that is approved to modern safety standards, unless your pootling on as parade :D

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
But a 3 quarter or a FF are better than period costume.
Depends on what period you are going for, I suppose. 3/4 is correct for the 60's, judging from the pic Tie posted:

Not a puddin bowl in the lot. They are SO 50s!!! :D I prefer to keep my chin up, in most cases... not stitched together and sucking my food through a straw...

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
True in most cases . Especially if you plan to ride like a twat . :D
Ouch, that brings back memories of the time I bounced off 3 SUVs. Folks call me "Pinball Wizard" in these parts... :wacko:

Good protective gear is the way to go for me. Especially vouch for armoured gloves.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
215 Posts
A little late, but better late than never. I bought a jp puddin bowl a while back, it looks good, a little mushroomy, but pretty good. I found that its was super loud and really uncomfortable. it gave me extreme headaches if worn for over 10 minutes and the plastic earflaps are useless windscoops that are impossible to get close to your face without wrapping in a scarf.

but the goggles! the goggles are all plastic, and the distorsion through the lenses is like dumping a gallon of water over your windshield. the "leather" plastic around the glass is too wide to sit on your face without tipping the helmet back on your head... Buy a Davida and consider the $70 bucks you would spend on a jp helmet a discount towards the real thing.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts