Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you actually own a Davida helmet and/or Goggles?

Post your photos!

I have an '09 White Bonne and may purchase one (hehe!)

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
I have a Davida Classic jet helmet and Mk8 replica goggles. The helmet is extremely comfortable and the leather interior means I don't drown in sweat in the warmer weather. This one feature makes it superior to my other helmets.

The Mk8 goggles are just for effect, I don't actually wear them as they won't fit over my glasses. They just perch on the helmet making me look windswept and interesting...:)

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I have a Davida Classic jet helmet and Mk8 replica goggles. The helmet is extremely comfortable and the leather interior means I don't drown in sweat in the warmer weather. This one feature makes it superior to my other helmets.

The Mk8 goggles are just for effect, I don't actually wear them as they won't fit over my glasses. They just perch on the helmet making me look windswept and interesting...:)

Agreed. I have the super luxury super expensive suede interior which makes me feel smooth and interesting. The goggles are Aviators but to be honest vision is compromised and they are not that comfy - I made the mistake of trying to take them off and replace them on the top of the helmet mid ride just when a car decided to change direction result = could not see a damn thing. I would prefer a helmet with some kind of visor but I would look old and not quite with it.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I love the look but not the functionality of the vintage helmet and goggles look.

So far I've been able to make the right choice and go with the full face but I can see the day when goggles could make an appearance, either on the face or on the helmet. Probably the same day I recalibrate the rev limiter to kick in about 4500rpm.

Thank God I'm not quite there yet.

P

·
Registered
76 Posts
Motorcycles (most of them) are cool enough. If you're compromising something like head protection to complete a look (IMAGE) than your priorities are a little off.

Not only that, you're paying for some BS plastic and leather helmet that they'll charge you an arm and a leg for, for no particular reason when there are actual Davida replicas that are DOT, 1/4 of the cost, and can be painted to look just like the "real" thing.

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
I've thought about that kind of combination for bopping around town. For now I'm full facing it. besides I'm broke this year!

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Motorcycles (most of them) are cool enough. If you're compromising something like head protection to complete a look (IMAGE) than your priorities are a little off.
I have owned several full face helmets and simply can't get on with them. Need the air on my face. I have other helmets (all open face) for different types of riding, long distance, etc. The Davida helmet is just one of them.

I have been riding for nearly 40 years and I'm still here...:) There's such a thing as active rather than passive safety. I prefer the former but each to his own.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Here's some to consider w/ out the price of Davida...

http://www.nolan-usa.com/product.php?productid=16140&cat=249&page=1

http://retrobikegear.com/index.html

I wear glasses, on a budget, and have found these goggles that look promising...

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/11/96/228/ITEM/Pacific-Coast-Airfoil-9300-Goggles.aspx

Pudding bowls... Pricey...

A HEALTH AND SAFETY WARNING - THOSE JP HELMETS ARE CHEAP RUBBISH MADE IN HONG KONG SO BUY AT YOUR PERIL! And I am not joking - the quality is absolute rubbish. Davida may be pricey but it is a lot less than many other brands and I would rather be wearing a Davida at £250 than trusting a JP toy at £75.

·
Registered
78 Posts
agreed

I do like the look- but I dont think they are ALTERNATIVES they arent DOT approved and look to be cheap as stated-
the nolans do look good and z1R makes some nice Jimmy classic styles

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I do like the look- but I dont think they are ALTERNATIVES they arent DOT approved and look to be cheap as stated
Do not confuse "DOT" and safety. They are mutually exclusive. What makes a helmet DOT certified is the ability to withstand a hit with a spike in the top center of the helmet. Many manufacturers simply reinforce that area to get the certification. The odds of that area getting impacted in that fashion in an accident are astronomical.

Unfortunately, "DOT" and "legal" are mutually inclusive in the US. In that regard, your sentiments are completely correct.

·
Registered
78 Posts
yep

totally agree with you there- they arent Dot approved and look to be cheap as I mentioned- ant this is two seperate issues that make them not so good- I do like the z1R jimmy- but again, I think most stats show the jaw hits first in many many accidnts and there you are SOL with most "genuine" style oldies- blahhh

·
Registered
471 Posts
Do not confuse "DOT" and safety. They are mutually exclusive. What makes a helmet DOT certified is the ability to withstand a hit with a spike in the top center of the helmet. Many manufacturers simply reinforce that area to get the certification. The odds of that area getting impacted in that fashion in an accident are astronomical.

Unfortunately, "DOT" and "legal" are mutually inclusive in the US. In that regard, your sentiments are completely correct.
So what standard do you think makes for a "safe" helmet?

Jim :cool:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Novelty Only

I guess that they put the warnings of "Novelty" on the site just to cover themselves. I noticed that they also sell "Replacement" DOT stickers. They would make a cool inexpensive prop to go with the bike if you were showing it.

I wore a 3/4 helmet back in the 70's and have one now that I do not wear. Honestly, I don't miss the wind in the face enough to tolerate the bugs, bees, rocks, and other debris hitting me in the face. I think I bought my first full face Bell Tour Star in 1979 and never looked back. To each his own and more power to you if that is your choice. If I were riding behind a full screen I might feel differently but one of my shields on my full face helmet is pock marked from hits after less than 3000 miles. Better the shield than my face.

Pops

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I have a lot of helmets, and several are Davida Classic Jet. I have never worn a quieter or more comfortable open face helmet, and I started riding in 1966 with a Bell 500TX. My goggles are Aviators, but don't allow wearing sunglasses comfortably under them so I often leave the goggles up and use my shades instead. Davida's are ridiculously expensive, and I hope not to find out how safe and structurally sound they are. That said, I almost never wear the full face Arai unless I have to ride in the rain. :)

Things I don't like about Davidas: 1) the D-rings won't go over the ball on the end of the front brake lever to allow an easy helmet lock and 2) the strap doesn't have a snap for the loose end and requires tucking it under the chin strap to keep it from flapping.

Other open face helmets I own and opinions:

Arai Classic - heavy and noisy
HJC ?? - light, but not very comfortable

Dick

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Ive worn a Davida Classic puddin bowl and goggles for a few years now...I cant believe the debate in this thread.Let those who ride decide.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the great opinions!

My issue is that I ride in Florida, and it's freaking HOT.

I can't stand my (cheap) full face helmet.

Also, I have an issue with glasses, as they never seem to fit me right. Hence my choice is goggles. I really like the Aviator styles, and would like something cooler than a full-face for summer riding.

·
30,525 Posts
Meatwagon, I'm a full facer myself, but I echo your sentiments.

That aside, I DEMAND you tell me where that road is so that I can go and enjoy it! :D

Whoops! I went off topic. Oh dear.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
"Let those who ride decide. "

Well said . I would add more to this but I fear of the notorious " Safety Preachers " .

1 - 20 of 93 Posts