Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the short of the story: I go to the pub down the block every monday afternoon for a burger and a beer... Mostly because the bartender is a very attractive young lady about my age (25). This past monday, I got some food to go and she put a note with her number in the bag. I didn't notice it until just now when I went to eat the food.

Not having dated for quite some time, I am wondering if the Two Day Rule (if you don't know what that is, go rent "Swingers" and be quick about it) is still the widely accpected method.

Also, I'm wondering if a text message is kosher. I have pretty bad hearing as well as a healthy amount of tinnitus, so its kind of hard for me talk to folks on cell phones.

Thoughts? Suggestions? The last time a hot girl gave me her number was... Well, never, so I'm thinking it's a good possibility that she saw my t-bird outside and thought I was a celebrity :)

·
Registered
617 Posts
Don't wait. Playing games sucks.
Text her.
Tell her you just found her note, "what a pleasant suprise", ear problems make phone calls difficult.
When and where would she like to meet?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Here is the short of the story: I go to the pub down the block every monday afternoon for a burger and a beer... Mostly because the bartender is a very attractive young lady about my age (25).
And hear lies your problem. You young whipper snappers got it all wrong. You have to accept her rejection and/or hide your excitement for a date face to face!!!

Sheesh! When will these kids ever learn??

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
And hear lies your problem. You young whipper snappers got it all wrong. You have to accept her rejection and/or hide your excitement for a date face to face!!!

Sheesh! When will these kids ever learn??

:rolleyes:
...and this is why I'm asking. If I were the initiator here,I would have done...nothing at all.:(

I don't get out much and I watch far too many movies, so my best idea thus far has been to burn something into the grass outside the bar and grab a trench coat and a boom-box with a super-cool mix tape... just hold that sucker over my head and hope for the best.

I don't think any of the quiet heroes in those classic films of my younger years ever had a note dropped in their doggy bag... so I'm guessing my first instinct might not be the one to go with.

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
IMO I would go back to the bar and talk to her, find out what time she gets finished and ask her out then and there.

Text messages are so impersonal and can't readily be guaranteed to be understood the exact way you mean them.

Get the tinnitus fixed so you can talk to her on the phone and whisper sweet nothings when you can't be together.

Go for it, or as an old Aussie song used to go, "Don't you ever let a chance go by no lord, don't you ever let a chance go by....."

Mick :cool:

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
I don't get out much and I watch far too many movies, so my best idea thus far has been to burn something into the grass outside the bar and grab a trench coat and a boom-box with a super-cool mix tape... just hold that sucker over my head and hope for the best.
No, no, no! Take her to the restaurant where you sweep up, fix a couple of nice TV dinners, and play the saxophone for her while she toys with the food. Bonus points if you can arrange a pair of claymation burgers to double-date with you.

Now that the obligatory silliness is out of the way, get you rear back there in person, ASAP! Show her this is important to you!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was probably your queue number, don't get all excited !

--------------
Ride on ! :D
Finally, a reasonable response. In fact, I think I'll just return next monday and pretend not to have seen it... it could easily have flown out of the bag on my ride home.

I really think that I am better at acting surprised than at "small talk" or whatever it is that people do in real life.

And besides, you guys with the encouraging words about strolling back in there and having something "awesome" to say are clearly missing 2 points:

A) she gave me her number.
B) the food is not that good.
3. I am Irish and the Man Above has seen fit to give me almost no balls. This is not to say that Irishmen have unfit landing gear, the rest are probably huge.

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
I don't get it, you asked for advice on how to react to a hot woman giving you her number, then you say you're not going to do anything about it?

Are you mad or something? What have you got to lose? If you go in there, or call her and it works out, you win, you're better off than you are now. If you go in there or call her and she's changed her mind, you're still no worse off than you are now. Even if it's just for a ride on your bike, you may have made a new friend and who knows where that will lead.

If she gave you her number, she must be at least passing interested.

Mick :cool:

·
Registered
485 Posts
If I were interested, I'd be back there in an instant. I'm Irish as well with no balls. Just go in, sit down and visit a few minutes to see what happens. Take the note with you and ask about it after a while. You will be suprised how well the shy bit works. You have nothing to lose. Again, only if you are interested.

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
So, let me sum up;

1. You've been going there (at least in part) because of her.
2. She put her number in your bag.
3. You don't do well on the phone, so we've suggested going back in person.
4. You're hung up (get it? get it? :D) on some part of this.

Don't be any different from how you've acted this whole time. That behavior got a phone number in your bag. Get back in there ASAP (to show this is important to you), tell her "I just found your number, and I've used way too many firearms rescuing orphans from rabid automotive executives, so my ears aren't really up to cell phones."

Two day rule? Who are you, George Costanza? She gave you her number; you just found it. Work with us here, okay?

Texting? Only if you have really good reason to believe that she doesn't want to have the next conversation at work. But I mean really good reason. Otherwise, heck no! Go for the personal approach!

She took the first step; you don't want her to feel rejected, do you? So grow a pair, get back there, and keep us informed! :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Get in there chief and do what you've been doing. She's probably sweet on you more than you know. Besides, the food's lousy so you've got nuthin to lose. Older guys like me [50] will tell you things we most regret aren't the things we've done but the things we HAVEN'T done. The guys telling you to do it face to face straight up are right on. Go get're tiger.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ok... I digress. I was really kidding about most of that stuff. Mostly I get nervous on the phone because I miss most of the conversation, so I'm wondering if a text message is appropriate. I really have no desire to eat mediocre food more than once a week... And I do firmly believe in the 2 day standard, if its in the movies, it has to work.

Edit: for hidesert and carpetbagger... You're both quite right. I'm simply making light of the slightly awkward position I'm in (I really can't hear muchn I feel like an old man). Knowing nothing about women has actually been very successful for me. I like to keep the expectations nice and low.

You guys are all inspiring; I'm quite sure my dad would say the same thing, if didn't try to beat me to the punch... Silly old man.

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
Hey ND ! You're a Thunderbird rider, a '99 model, one of the best, you've nothing to fear, go in there and knock her
flat ! Do your best Steve McQueen impersonation, I saw it in the movies, you can't fail !

-----------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Registered
617 Posts
The only reason I suggested the text approach was because of the hearing problem. But, you must say in the text, that reason for not calling.

Going back face to face with the note is a great idea, but remember guys, it DOES take a lot of balls to start that conversation. Less pressure to text, and if the response is positive, face to face later.

Good luck, brother.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Anyone who graduated high school in this century knows that a text is completely acceptable, ney, even preferable as an ice-breaking opener in this situation. You don't have to worry about being tongue-tied because the conversation is asynchronus. You don't have to worry about catching her at a bad time and then misinterpreting the response because she will text back when it's convenient. Quick note, don't try to be too clever, make sure that she knows which guy you are ( I'm just sayin!...)
Confidence is your friend...if ya weren't born with it that T-Bird should give you a healthy serving...Do Not Let This Opportunity Pass!
And, as HiDesert pointed out, you don't want her to feel rejected and embarrassed do you?

·
29,948 Posts
*****WARNING*****

Dating can lead to a lessening of joyous motorcycling experiences! You have been warned!

This message brought to you by the keep men free foundation.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Women like men who take charge but dont come across overbearing, Call her (texting is for teens), say you really liked the note and found it refreshing how she took the 1st step. Take her out to lunch and see if she can continue to impress you,

dave-

1 - 20 of 105 Posts