Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on the bike for the past couple of weeks and now I can't disarm the alarm to start it! Does anyone have any ideas? I have disconnected it and let it drain in in case it had been spiked but no luck. It's a system 3 alarm. I've just put Predator cans on and I'm dying to hear what they sound like so any suggestions welcome.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
From the Datatool Veto Evo guide (should be similar):

Can NOT disarm (or manually arm) the alarm system

Check the alarm system fuse.

Check that you are within range of the motorcycle (10m max.).

Check the ignition switch is in the OFF position.

Check the integrity of the transmitter battery (see transmitter battery state - page 6).

Check that the transmitter signal is correctly aligned with the control unit by pressing both the O and A [delta] buttons on the transmitter simultaneously for at least 5 seconds, release the buttons and try again. (Note: Re-alignment will not work with low transmitter battery state).

From page 6

If the transmitter LED flashes rapidly when either the O or A [delta] is pressed, TRANSMITTER FAILURE IS IMMINENT - you will NOT be able to disarm the alarm and the motorcycle will be IMMOBILISED.

Jim

·
Registered
38 Posts
Paulel,

I have a datatool system 3 on my rocket so it may not be the same as yours. Figured I would still look the manual over and see if there were any suggestions I could come up with.

1. I assume the battery is good and charged, stand up and emergency switch in run position.

2. I assume you checked the alarm fuse and other ideas jimmyj900 suggested. Do the indicators flash when you try to disarm? If not this indicates a failed fuse or lack of power/ground to the alarm system. Also check all the other bike fuses to make sure the alarm is getting an "ignition on" signal.

3. Did the alarm go into sleep mode? Normal way is to press and hold the disarm button until alarm disarms (15 secs max) or if that doesn't get it out of sleep mode then hold the disarm button down, at the same time turn on the ignition.

4. Do you have a protective trigger switch? I have one under the tank and if it is possible you were working any where near it and could have bent it then it may not be closing correctly.

5. The book also said if you are experiencing strong radio interference the transmitter, even if held close to the bike may not disarm it, in this case it says use your PIN override.

6. When I installed my alarm I kept the stock connector where the alarm plugs in just in case I decided to remove the alarm in the future, if you kept yours try unplugging the alarm and plugging the stock connector back in.

I hope something works for you!

Brian

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I've tried all your suggestions Jim, except the alarm fuse because even though my alarm was installed by a Triumph dealer there is no inline fuse!

Now to your suggestions Brian.

No the indicators don't flash when I try to disarm but if I put the key in the ignition and try to start it the alarm goes off and the indicators flash then.

No it's not in sleep mode, the red alarm light is flashing every second.

The protective trigger switch is in the closed position, if I open it the alarm sounds.

I don't think it's radio signals as I am at home where I've never had a problem before.

What's the stock connector you mentioned and do you know where I can get one?

·
Registered
38 Posts
paulel,
I don't know how your alarm connects but on the rocket their is a connector on the wiring harness to plug the alarm in. Before you plug it in you have to remove the shorting plug that is in the connector socket. The shorting plug has a couple of wires basically completing the circuit when no alarm is installed. The Datatool instructions say that you must send in your shorting plug along with the registration but I did not want to do that in case I remove the alarm someday.
If you had a shorting plug removed by your dealer to plug in the alarm then I assume they sent it in, tossed it in a box or discarded it. You might check with them to get another and if your bike starts after that then it may be your alarm itself has failed internally. Doing it yourself may save you a few bucks in troubleshooting, unless it is still under warranty. You can always check with Datatool for help as well: http://www.datatool.co.uk/consumer/support/
It must be frustrating, I hope you get to hear the Predators soon. Brian

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On the Classics the AUX fuse in the fuse box is used rather than an inline fuse. That would be fuse #5 in the block.

So that's why the alarm sounded when I pulled one of the fuses as I was checking them earlier, thanks Jim.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Had the same problem my self when the bike was quite new. Being so, I had Free RAC cover, so back to Fowlers it went. It turns out they found water in the wiring which was shorting the the alarm out. 'Had i pressure washed the bike?' i was asked, 'No, but i had been out in some heavy rain!' the reply came. But of course i had pressure washed the bike. Its just soapy water, sponge and a watering can to clean the bike now!!

The other thing i found was the transmitter thingy doesn't like the damp weather and the contacts, push buttons don't. Make contact that is! I also think that just taking the transmitter apart and putting it back together cures that problem, cos batteries never run out, right guys. :hammer:

[ This message was edited by: Bodger on 2006-11-19 17:27 ]

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Bodger,

I've never used pressure wash and I've tried my spare transmitter! The only thing I haven't yet done is charged the bike battery. I have ordered a charger and hope to do that tommorow.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yeh, the point is not just about pressure washers. It is that you may want to check the electrical connections, not just for the alarm, but for the whole bike. Triumph classics are notorious for not liking the damp and Datatool alarms are worse, according to the RAC chap. If there is water in the head light connections, for example, the alarm might think there is some tampering going on and immobilize the ignition system... Just a point from experience, seeing as nothing else is making a difference. Except maybe your battery point!

·
Registered
96 Posts
alarm fault

Hope you don't mind me cutting in here guys, but I have a fault with my datatool giving spurious alarms but only when fully armed. The trigger is apparently showing "hot wired" fault No.2 which is the same as ignition turned on when armed. What gets me is that it does not false alarm when in ferry mode, but ignition on & hot wired fault alarm is still active in ferry mode aswell as fully armed. Any ideas out there. Yes it is new & under warranty but not yet fixed, will it ever be ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
unplug alarm

hello guys,

Can you possibly tell me where to find alarm on my Daytona 600? It could be a possible cause of my problem. Flashing indicators and no chance to start the engine :/

·
Registered
792 Posts
hi paulel did you ever solve you problem with your alarm,as for the bypass plug you could try motorcycle breakers am sure somone there may have one there again no harmin contacting your dealer and get them to obtain one direct from triumph datatool evo alarmis fairly simple to fit ,i bought one on e bay downloaded the instrution online and done it myself works perfect.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts