Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do a lot of long trips and dont have any sort of screen at all on my bike so am exposed to a fair bit of wind and weather.

have read some favorable reports about Dart windscreens and as such am considering purchasing one

to those who have fitted one, have you noticed any real improvement with regards to protection from the elements and the cold?

or are they mostly cosmetic

·
Registered
727 Posts
Same thoughts as Fliplid. For me very worthwhile on a trip, and they make high speeds (>140km/hr) more enjoyable. Helps keep bugs and crap off the instruments. And IMHO they look a bit on the cool side. Look better the the OEM thing. And they are relatively inexpensive, I bought mine direct from Dart in the UK. A good product.

Cheers, Simmo

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
They are good looking, but mainly IMO a bug catcher. Not much protection at any speed over 30 mph or so. Look into a National Cycle Deflector Dx, its taller and does a better job and doesn't look real bad.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
bonza... I am very fond of my Dart. Mounted on an America it has met my expectations of elevating much of the wind buffeting. However, it cant do much for the other elements such as rain or cold or even bugs. I may not get as many bugs, but brother you will still get bugs! It only helps with buffeting.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
I really like my dart flyscreen. I just took a round trip from New Hampshire to Florida.

It deflects wind from your chest when sitting upright. When leaning forward it's possible to tuck in behind.

The flyscreen is perfect for me.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Yep, I agree with others. You won't feel any difference at low speeds. However, for 100kmh and above its great. You feel like your on a naked bike without feeling like you're going to get blown off the bike.

·
Registered
157 Posts
+1

I like the Dart flyscreen on my Scrambler. It does not provide the wind protection of a windshield, but then again... it's NOT a windshield. The purpose of it for me was to relieve some of the pressure the wind puts on my chest (and therefore, on my shoulder muscles), and it does relieve that -- without losing much of the bike's design/aesthetic.

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well I have decided to get one and should be here in a week or so.

will be doing a 1,500 kilometer trip in a couple of weeks, so will see if improves things and makes the ride a little more comfortable

·
Registered
425 Posts
Th easiest way to tell where it works is to travel at about 100kmh and then put your hand in front of your chest and move it up and down or side to side and feel where the wind starts to hit you and make a mental note. Then do the same without the screen. You then realise how much protection it gives.
Try to do it on a lonely stretch of road. It looks like you are crossing yourself and saying "In the name of the father...etc". Not a good look on a motorbike.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I notice the effect of my Dart most when I remove it. You suddenly realise it does more than you might think from looking at it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Have a Dart for warm weather use and it works about as well as can be expected of a flyscreen. That is, it does a great job of reducing the "human parachute" effect you get with no screen at all on a naked standard.

I would not want to sit behind it in sub-freezing temps or for 1000-mile days. For that I have a big ole quick-release Nat'l Plexifairing that looks a bit UJM and would make some of the posers here cringe, but then there are those among us who enjoy riding our bikes more than looking at them ;-)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I find it works based on what handlebars I'm running with

I can't contribute to much on this forum, as my knowledge is extremely basic....BUT, I have been fooling around a lot with handlebars and putting the fly screen on and off.

My findings:
While using handlebars that had me more upright (a little less than stock) and the fly screen on, the wind really hit me square in the chest and made my larger than average torso a bit more wind sock(ish). I'm 6'3" with a longer top....a bit awkward.
I then put on drag bars and was really leaned over. Fly screen was annoying then as the wind wobbled the top of my helmet.
Just recently put on m-bars and the combination of lean angle and fly screen for me has been ideal as the wind seems dispersed a bit more around my torso. And at higher speeds I'm feeling very steady.
So you may find it fits perfect with your current set up, or it may require a little bit of "finagling" if you are trying to get just the right amount of comfort.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.