Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend I had a Dart flyscreen mounted on my t-100 and while I really like it, it appears that above 40 mph the entire screen and headlamp are pressed back so that some of the screen hardware digs into the back of my tachometer housing. It is also apparent that above that speed the screen is also pushing the headlamp up...I'm afraid this may direct the beam too high for night riding. Has anybody had this experience? Is this poor installation or a design issue?

I didn't notice this until I came into work this morning otherwise I'd be in the garage right now trying to crank down on the mounting bolts!

Thanks!

·
Registered
445 Posts
My Dart never touched the housing, but the tabs on the brackets did remove some paint.

The raising headlight did occur but it wasn't a problem.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
My Dart never touched the housing, but the tabs on the brackets did remove some paint.
Fortunately I was forewarned about the tabs pressing on the headlamp "ears" so I put some short pieces of rubber fuel hose over them and fitted the Dart mounts so the tabs push firmly against the ears. The pieces of hose have stayed in place for about three years now and the "ears" are unmarked.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
The tab-stops MUST rest on the headlamp brackets when the screen is installed.

If they dont then the screen will tilt back and at the same time will rotate the headlamp upward. no matter how tight you make the headlamp bolts.
The Dart screen is designed to sit at this set angle of attack, with no adjustability (without DIY mods that is).

As for the contact between gauges and screen, I cant comment as I have the Scram, but thats a new one on me.

It may be worth searching "Dart" in the search function. Lots of useful info there!

V.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies...

The tab stops do appear to be resting on the headlamp brackets, so I assume that air pressure pushing the screen back and headlamp up is just part of the deal?

·
Registered
630 Posts
This past weekend I had a Dart flyscreen mounted on my t-100 and while I really like it, it appears that above 40 mph the entire screen and headlamp are pressed back so that some of the screen hardware digs into the back of my tachometer housing.
I experienced this exact problem with my Dart flyscreen as you can see from the pictures below. I had to bend the brackets so that the tab made better contact with the headlight ears because they were slipping over the edge of the ears and allowing the screen to tilt back against the gauges. Steve from Dart Flyscreens also sent me some shouldered screen mounting bolts that didn't protrude through the brackets like the original non shouldered bolts did. Together these two modifications appear to have prevented the problem from reoccurring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aussie,

Thanks for the tip...

Upon closer inspection (I had to run back down to the parking lot) it appears that the tab on the tach side isn't even making contact with the headlamp bracket...the bolt on the screen makes contact with the tach before the tab makes contact with the bracket. The tab on the speedo side is in contact with the headlamp bracket.

I'm not sure how to correct this without attempting to bend the entire screen mount forward slightly. I'm afraid I'll end up with a crooked screen (or worse!)

Perhaps I'm better off using some electrical tape to put something between the tab and the headlamp bracket.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Perhaps I'm better off using some electrical tape to put something between the tab and the headlamp bracket.
That's the solution I tried first - didn't work, well not for long anyway.

I removed the brackets, placed them in a vice, latched onto them with some multigrips (channel lock pliers) and gave them a little twist so that the tab was effectively moved inboard a little.

Make sure that you have the large washer on the headlight mounting bolt on the outside of the flyscreen bracket (see photo above).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Paul - thanks for the tip on the fuel hose. It appears that this will cure the problem with the gap between the tab and headlamp bracket and should keep the tach housing clear of the flyscreen hardware. Aussie, I'll double check the placement of the washer.

It took about 2 minutes and 50 cents to fix this. I think Dart should include fuel hose with the mounting hardward. :)

I love this forum.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts