Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

121 - 129 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone in our wonderful community ever tried 'darksiding', this is fitting a car tyre to the rear of a bike. From what I have found out it is a much practiced and perfectly legal thing to do in America, In the UK it's not legal as such but there are loopholes. The main interest for me is economical, car tyres are the fraction of the price of a motorcycle tyre and they also last a lot longer.
I've read many write ups on the pro's and con's of this practice but would be interested to hear from anyone who has actually tried it?
It's risky and there is already enough risk while riding on m/c tires, why do that except to save a few bit of money? Car tires are hard and flat, not flexible like a bike's tire, and that could well be the difference between losing control in a curve and riding safely through it. Me? I'll opt to spend the extra money and purchase only motorcycle tires. Knowing that the tires are designed for my Tiger is one less thing to worry about while riding.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Of course what you just said keefelou is not true. You are incorrect. You are just spouting a common misconception and parroting it.
Large,heavy cruisers work well with CT's,NOT your bike.
Darkside is not for you. That's all you had to say.

JJ

·
Registered
303 Posts
Also, car tires tend to flex MORE... Not less.

Added benefit: smooth ride

Down side: More unstable than motorcycle tire when pressure is too low.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
It's risky and there is already enough risk while riding on m/c tires, why do that except to save a few bit of money? Car tires are hard and flat, not flexible like a bike's tire, and that could well be the difference between losing control in a curve and riding safely through it. Me? I'll opt to spend the extra money and purchase only motorcycle tires. Knowing that the tires are designed for my Tiger is one less thing to worry about while riding.
Fully understand where you're coming from, but I can't help think that MC tyres are incredibly over priced in comparison to CT's and I also think that tyre company's know this. I have yet to hear of any nasty accidents resulting from the use of a car tyre on a motorcycle. Jammin'John has got it right I believe in the fact that using a CT on a cruiser is completely different that sticking one on say a sports bike, you ride these machines in a completely different way.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
How many more CT are produced worldwide vs MT? Might have to exclude scooter and small bikes sold in China and India. There's one reason why they are more expensive and the smaller rider population. Then again, check out the prices for high performance tires for high performance cars or for SUV. At least here in the US. Very few drivers are riding around on $70 tires these days.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
How many more CT are produced worldwide vs MT? Might have to exclude scooter and small bikes sold in China and India. There's one reason why they are more expensive and the smaller rider population. Then again, check out the prices for high performance tires for high performance cars or for SUV. At least here in the US. Very few drivers are riding around on $70 tires these days.
This too is true, in the UK you can get a tyre for around £50-£60 that fits on your average family saloon car and there's an awful lot of them on the roads over here. I've got no idea how to manufacture a tyre but is it that much different to produce a car tyre over a motorcycle tyre?

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
This too is true, in the UK you can get a tyre for around £50-£60 that fits on your average family saloon car and there's an awful lot of them on the roads over here. I've got no idea how to manufacture a tyre but is it that much different to produce a car tyre over a motorcycle tyre?
Probably not a whole lot different and that includes cost of manufacture. Supply and demand, there is far less demand for motorcycle tires vs car tires. So the cost of a motorcycle tire is more.

For my WRX, a performance all season tire, is over $100 each. A good summer performance tire is close to $200.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

121 - 129 of 129 Posts