Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

81 - 100 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Exactly. This was originally done on trikes and hacks where you actually steer the bike to turn, not lean it over. Keep in mind too, car tires use a much, much harder rubber compound than motorcycle tires. And THIS is the main reason people do it. Because they think they should be able to get 30-40,000 miles out of a motorcycle tire. To each their own. I personally wouldn't even do it on a trike. Your tires are the only thing keeping your bike planted on the road. Are you REALLY wanting to scarifice your safety to save a few bucks?
Again,another false statement. You can get any tire compound that you want in a car tire. Usually the most vehement detractors are people like you.
CT's are fine on big,heavy cruisers.

JJ

·
Registered
314 Posts
I did a little over 20K on a car tire on the back end of my Rocket 3. The only issue I ever encountered was some wobble in dipped areas of pavement, ie lanes where big trucks leave ruts in the hot asphalt. Rode many a mountain curve and hung in with the best of them. I went back to an mc tire when several new brands hit the market that were a better value than the crappy Metzler and lasted twice as long.....
Yes,very true.

JJ

·
Registered
314 Posts
IIRC the profile of a motorcycle wheel is different from the profile of a car wheel, therefore the tyre bead profiles are different, and a car tyre cannot seat correctly on a bike rim.

I don't know about the situation in other countries, but in the UK, that could have both legal and insurance implications.
Not true.

JJ

·
Registered
314 Posts
Interesting reading, I don't think 0.12 of an inch on the diameter of a 15" rim is to much to stress about, as for all the other bead dimensions I'll have to do some serious measuring. I've plucked a couple of pic's from google to try and show cross sections of various wheel rims and just looking at the pics I cant see much of a difference between them, but again without looking at rim's in the flesh it's hard to tell.

The first pic is a standard steel car rim
View attachment 715377

This is a 'MT' type motorcycle rim
View attachment 715378

and lastly a 'WM' type motorcycle rim
View attachment 715380

To be honest the only reason I'm looking at fitting a car tyre is purely a money saving exercise, a car tyre is about the third of the cost of a motorcycle tyre and can also last around 4 times longer. I can't see the point of doing it if I've got to shell out loads of money on rim modifications and the like.

This is another alternative that I've seen done in the past,
Something I've even considered.
They mount just fine. They don't last as long as you think though. Bikes are hard on tires. For example,an 80,000 mile CT on my Stratoliner lasts 20,000 miles.

JJ

·
Registered
42 Posts
Again,another false statement. You can get any tire compound that you want in a car tire. Usually the most vehement detractors are people like you.
CT's are fine on big,heavy cruisers.

JJ
With this philosophy, you are saying that cigar cutter circumcisions are totally normal and acceptable. Again, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Another negative response telling others that because you wouldn't,they shouldn't ! Typical response. Your bike isn't really what we're talking about. It's too sporty.
CT works very well on BIG,HEAVY,CRUISERS ! They don't lean that far before they scrape hard parts. I've been Darkside since 1998. I started on my Valkyrie.
Again,I'm NOT talking about YOUR bike so lighten up. I ride between 16,000 and 20,000 smiles per my very short season. MANY thousands of smiles on my BIG<HEAVY<CRUISERS !

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
With this philosophy, you are saying that cigar cutter circumcisions are totally normal and acceptable. Again, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
So what you are saying is that just because your motorcycle can do 140 mph it doesn't mean you should do 140 mph on it, a bit pointless buying one then surely.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Another negative response telling others that because you wouldn't,they shouldn't ! Typical response. Your bike isn't really what we're talking about. It's too sporty.
CT works very well on BIG,HEAVY,CRUISERS ! They don't lean that far before they scrape hard parts. I've been Darkside since 1998. I started on my Valkyrie.
Again,I'm NOT talking about YOUR bike so lighten up. I ride between 16,000 and 20,000 smiles per my very short season. MANY thousands of smiles on my BIG<HEAVY<CRUISERS !
The thing is there are people out there with no imagination, these riders have never done anything slightly 'left field' in their live's and are the one's that have always stuck to every speed limit in the land religiously, they won't fit aftermarket parts to their motorcycles, exhaust's and the like, and they always wear the 'correct' protective motorcycle gear no matter what, I really don't think so.
You read quite often in the press about how a sports bike rider has come to a sticky end due to riding a bit quick on their high powered machines, but you never see stories saying that 'the cruiser rider died because he fitted a car tyre to his bike'

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Hello 'jammin'john, you seem to know what you are talking about when it comes to 'darksiding'. One question though, you say that a car tire is fine fitted on a 'heavy cruiser' but what do you think about fitting one to a Triumph America, which is the bike I ride? these are not an overly heavy machine. I'm keen on giving it a go and cant really see any other issues with doing so.

Cheers, Jerry

·
Registered
314 Posts
TriumphAmerica20033.5Moderateother Vitour Galaxy R1165R15 86H101-11035-37
TriumphAmerica20117Cruiser / Touringother maxxis165/80/15no entry35-37
I see 2 listed on the Darkside list. I got a 205 for my Storm but it was too wide. First bike that ever happened on for me. It's on my Stratoliner now. Check how much room you have.
I'm DOUBLE Darkside on my Sratoliner and Vulcan 2000LT !

JJ

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #92 (Edited)
TriumphAmerica20117Cruiser / Touringother maxxis165/80/15no entry35-37
I see 2 listed on the Darkside list. I got a 205 for my Storm but it was too wide. First bike that ever happened on for me. It's on my Stratoliner now. Check how much room you have.
I'm DOUBLE Darkside on my Sratoliner and Vulcan 2000LT !

JJ
Someone told me before to go for a slightly narrower CT the bikes got a 170/15 Bridgestone motorcycle tyre on at the moment. I'm picking up a second rear wheel rim to fit the CT on just to play around with the idea and see if I get on with it ok.

Cheers, Jerry

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hello 'jammin'john, you seem to know what you are talking about when it comes to 'darksiding'. One question though, you say that a car tire is fine fitted on a 'heavy cruiser' but what do you think about fitting one to a Triumph America, which is the bike I ride? these are not an overly heavy machine. I'm keen on giving it a go and cant really see any other issues with doing so.

Cheers, Jerry
Tire pressure will make a big difference. Depending on tire type, I've seen anywhere from 28-38 psi being used. On something as light as the Triumph America, start at the lower end of that and work your way up until you are satisfied with the ride it gives.

The basic idea here is trying to get the right amount of sidewall flex... Too much air and you're riding just the shoulder of the tread and getting "bump steer" from uneven road surface... too little air and the tire moves around (side to side) and feels "squirrelly".

The right air will allow flex to maximize tread on the road when leaned over, but not so much flex that it moves around and feels unplanted.

Note:
Some people use "run flat" tires. These typically feel better lower pressures. Keep this in mind when choosing a tire and trying different pressures.

Also, for a lighter bike, try to go narrow on the tire. Wider tires cause more bump steer (same as high pressure), which is exaggerated on a lighter bikes.

I've heard many people say a uni-directional tread is better... I've never noticed much of a difference (other than better looks). I do, however, make sure I use symmetrical tread patterns.

As with ANY new tire, take it easy the first hundred or two miles... Let it scrub in well before pushing it.

BTW, "Bump Steer" is when an uneven road surface makes the bike feel like it's being pushed over.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey Cheerfuljerry, some thoughts on my experience.

This is my bike and I have to date clocked up 11500 km on this very tyre. I have actually just fitted (yesterday) a 120/90 18 rear Michelin Activ on the front of this bike as the car tyre on the rear has been overall a positive experience.
Some caveats: As reported earlier the rim sizes are different between the bike and car 15 inch rims. It was a major mission getting the beads to pop out fully, involving rubber grease, Ky jelly and other lubricants and leaving the rim out in the hot Australian sun for a day per side as well as some naughty PSI. Please pay attention to the lines around the bead area as you want the beads seated correctly. Also, do not contemplate this course of action if you are not persistent and give up easily. It will test you. I believe this is specific to the 15 inch rims and the others are easier.

Having said that, once the beads are seated correctly and you find the correct pressure to run it at I have had no issues at all with the tyre.

Being out in the semi dessert area most of the roads around here are straight, flat and boring. I was finding that my motorcycle tyres were wearing 'square' anyway, so reasoned that it was not much different to the car tyre. I do not find much difference at all. I can go through the twisties with the best of them at the same speed I could when I had a MC tyre on and can touch down both sides in the bends.

Like you, I did this for economic reasons, and my $100 car tyre has lasted far longer than my last $230 MC tyre on the same bike.
I will try and post some images shortly. If you have any question do not hesitate to ask, though l am not on this forum much these days.

Cheers, Will

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #100 (Edited)
Hey Cheerfuljerry, some thoughts on my experience.

This is my bike and I have to date clocked up 11500 km on this very tyre. I have actually just fitted (yesterday) a 120/90 18 rear Michelin Activ on the front of this bike as the car tyre on the rear has been overall a positive experience.
Some caveats: As reported earlier the rim sizes are different between the bike and car 15 inch rims. It was a major mission getting the beads to pop out fully, involving rubber grease, Ky jelly and other lubricants and leaving the rim out in the hot Australian sun for a day per side as well as some naughty PSI. Please pay attention to the lines around the bead area as you want the beads seated correctly. Also, do not contemplate this course of action if you are not persistent and give up easily. It will test you. I believe this is specific to the 15 inch rims and the others are easier.

Having said that, once the beads are seated correctly and you find the correct pressure to run it at I have had no issues at all with the tyre.

Being out in the semi dessert area most of the roads around here are straight, flat and boring. I was finding that my motorcycle tyres were wearing 'square' anyway, so reasoned that it was not much different to the car tyre. I do not find much difference at all. I can go through the twisties with the best of them at the same speed I could when I had a MC tyre on and can touch down both sides in the bends.

Like you, I did this for economic reasons, and my $100 car tyre has lasted far longer than my last $230 MC tyre on the same bike.
I will try and post some images shortly. If you have any question do not hesitate to ask, though l am not on this forum much these days.

Cheers, Will
Thanks for the info Will,

most of my riding is for commuting to work and back, so I to spend a lot of the time upright and like your good self figured that I just as well fit a CT 'cause they're already square. A fellow community member 'jaewastoshort' also pointed out that the 15" rim can be a bit of a bugger to fit the tyre on, so I'm getting myself a second rim to try things out with, my wife tells me I can be a bit persistent at times and i'll just have to nick some of her KY jel to help things fit just a bit more smoothly;).

Anyway thanks for the help with this, If you've got any pics of the fitted tyre that would great.
Cheers, Jerry

81 - 100 of 129 Posts