Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I don't ride a rocket 3 just a lowly Triumph America. I was pointed in your direction to ask some advice on the subject of 'darksiding'.
Now this is something that usually plays on my mind when my motorcycle is due for a rear tyre change, what I'm trying to find out is how do car tyres act when cornering in the rain, well and in the dry for that matter. Do you have to change your riding style much to compensate for the car tyre and lastly do you get a motorcycle tyre dealer or car tyre dealer to fit one?

Many thanks, Jerry

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have used darkside a few times. I put a CT on when I go on long trips, saves the hassell of finding tyres and they last a lot longer. I also tow a camper trailer so rears do not last too well. As for the handling I do not notice any real change at all. The bike will still drag the pegs, corners well and stops on a dime due to the big footprint
Couple of things around town etc the bike does feel a bit "heavy" as you are pushing that big footprint, but no drama. Also when you cross over a ridge or edge in the road the tyre will push you to one side, feels a bit weird the first time but once you know what it is it is ok. My next tyre will be a CT.
I have also just put a CT on the wifes Storm and she reckons there is no change, I also have had the pegs dragging on that bike.
If you go that way the CT tends to be wider than the bike tyre. The R3 has a 240 rear and I fit a 225. The Storm has a 200, I could not get anything smaller, wanted a 185, so I have put on a 205 and this just clipped the swing arm on the edge for a few Km's
There are a lot of naysayers out there, it is your decision, if you re not sure chuck one on and go for a ride. No harm done. Also check your insurance

Nungers

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have used darkside a few times. I put a CT on when I go on long trips, saves the hassell of finding tyres and they last a lot longer. I also tow a camper trailer so rears do not last too well. As for the handling I do not notice any real change at all. The bike will still drag the pegs, corners well and stops on a dime due to the big footprint
Couple of things around town etc the bike does feel a bit "heavy" as you are pushing that big footprint, but no drama. Also when you cross over a ridge or edge in the road the tyre will push you to one side, feels a bit weird the first time but once you know what it is it is ok. My next tyre will be a CT.
I have also just put a CT on the wifes Storm and she reckons there is no change, I also have had the pegs dragging on that bike.
If you go that way the CT tends to be wider than the bike tyre. The R3 has a 240 rear and I fit a 225. The Storm has a 200, I could not get anything smaller, wanted a 185, so I have put on a 205 and this just clipped the swing arm on the edge for a few Km's
There are a lot of naysayers out there, it is your decision, if you re not sure chuck one on and go for a ride. No harm done. Also check your insurance

Nungers
Thanks for all your advice, for the price of a car tyre I think i might give it a go, I can always change it if I'm not keen, like they say nothing ventured, nothing gained. I've looked into sizing, my America's got a 170 fitted as standard and it seems I need a 165 CT tyre. I can't see any issues with the structure of the car tyre being a problem as in side wall distortion or tread patterns, my only real concern is cornering in the wet, we've been getting a lot of that in the UK recently. Have you noticed any problems in the rain?

Cheers, Jerry

·
Registered
276 Posts
I live in WA and rain here is a rarity so if it does rain I stay home. I have been in the wet and had no dramas. Remember there is a lot more tyre on the road, in the wet, cornering, burnouts a bit harder.
Have a play with the pressures and go with what feels good., but most guys will run a few pound less. I run around 32psi where normally would be 38psi.
Your pillion will love it as the ride is a lot smoother.
Sometimes the rear wheel size is too tall for a narrow CT. I could not get a 16 x 185 for the storm so had to go 205. Also do not go too high in profile, 55 at most otherwise too much wall movement.
When you fit the tyre go for a ride and take a GPS with you to check the speed, a 55 profile will just about make your speedo dead on.
Give it a go and I bet you will wonder what all the fuss is about. Be interested in your comments after

Nungers

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do not be surprised if the bike shop will not fit the tyre, you may have to shop around
My bikes being laid up at the end of December for a couple on months, it's getting to damn cold for me now. During the cold months I'll be able to do a bit more research into tyre sizing and finding someone willing to fit one for me, there's loads of backstreet tyre dealers near me so that shouldn't be an issue. Hopefully when the warmer weather returns I'll be able to give this 'darksiding' a go. I'm quite looking forward to the experience now.
Thanks for your help with this, I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers, Jerry

·
Registered
15 Posts
There is a darkside Tire Database here: https://darkside.nwff.info/?p=tires
I see two LOVELY Triumph America bikes listed.

I went Dark 11 years ago and will never go back on either of my Rockets. My '05 is on its 5th CT and I got 25,000 miles on EACH of the first four.
The current Riken Raptor cost $92 delivered and a private MC shop installed it for $45.
I got 7,000 out of the stock Metzler on the 2015 with cords showing 360 degrees and promptly replaced it with the same Raptor.

·
Registered
276 Posts
There is a darkside Tire Database here: https://darkside.nwff.info/?p=tires
I see two LOVELY Triumph America bikes listed.

I went Dark 11 years ago and will never go back on either of my Rockets. My '05 is on its 5th CT and I got 25,000 miles on EACH of the first four.
The current Riken Raptor cost $92 delivered and a private MC shop installed it for $45.
I got 7,000 out of the stock Metzler on the 2015 with cords showing 360 degrees and promptly replaced it with the same Raptor.
Great bit of info there

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You've all given me the confidence to give darksiding a shot, what fascinates me is that everyone who has used a CT on a bike have all been positive about it. I haven't heard anything negative at all, only from the blokes who have never tried darksiding.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You've all given me the confidence to give darksiding a shot, what fascinates me is that everyone who has used a CT on a bike have all been positive about it. I haven't heard anything negative at all, only from the blokes who have never tried darksiding.
Exactly!
There have been a few who stepped into the darkness but returned to the light, but not many.

In some cases they may not have had the air pressure or rear shocks set up properly. Improving the OEM front springs can help too. The CT will magnify shortcomings in those areas. Or maybe they went too wide on the 1st CT - narrower will handle more like a MC tire.

Some people also don't give it a chance. It takes at least 1,000 miles to get things dialed-in, make some minor adjustments in how you corner, trust in it, and get comfortable with it.

Others switch back simply because they're doing a majority of riding on hardcore twisties and want the absolute best cornering ability. I would too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts